This is the first of a series of oil testing of virgin oil samples to show the additives in the oils before the oil is used. In some cases used oil samples will be compared to the virgin samples of the same brand and viscosity.

The sample presentations will be compared two at a time with approximately twenty brands from house brands to the high end brands.

Lube oil for the PTU will also be tested to show the additives in the lube oils.

Most of the oil testing will cover oils used in the Duratec and Ecoboost the oils tested will be 5W20 synthetics. Viscosity does not play much of a part as the brands do in the testing. Viscosity will have little affect on the additives in the oils.

No conventional or blended oils will be tested.

Most used samples will be from a 3.5 Duratec and under severe driving conditions (high idle times and short trips) The other oil testing on a 3.5 will be mostly highway/interstate driving and some idle time.

all filters were either AMSOIL high efficiency filters .25 micron or Purolator Boss high efficiency

All vehicle used oil testing were Ford Edge Limited 3.5 FWD

Most testing is measured in engine hours and not miles.

• Like 2

Reboot of computer corrected my audio. Thanks for the report.

Would like to see the SuperTech oils tested when possible. Have saved a lot of money using their products over the years and have used the Schaeffer Oil analysis showing good performance and have given me good results in my 1996 Toyota truck at 299,967 miles.

mo-lib-de-num

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The oil testing series is nearing the start date!! More later on the exact date. The series will be at least 12 videos involving about 16 engine oils and 4 gear lubes for the PTU. I have found some great oils, some so so oils, one surprising oil and some outstanding oils. The gear lube results will knock your socks off and you will want this gear lube in your PTU!!! Excited about the series!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First off, Thanks for the excellent reporting. Very interesting. I've been using Valvoline 5w20 full synthetic in my 2013 Edge with 3.5 I see through your reporting Valvoline isn't the best or even in the top three.

Maybe I should switch brands???

Now I see a new Valvoline oil is on the market. Valvoline full synthetic for engines 2012 and newer. Supposedly fights carbon build up better than regular full synthetic.

Wonder what's coming next? Other brands will certainly come up with something new.

Thanks for your time

Larry

Northern, In

post-26092-0-14976800-1525958756_thumb.jpg

• Like 1