Performance vs. other "similar" SUV's

Bamm1

Yea yea... some of us prefer the straight lines! I personally don't have the "eggs" to find out how quick I can roll into a ditch! I found out about 3 weeks after installing the lowering springs that this thing will oversteer. had to squeeze a cheek so i didn't poop my pants, and from that day forward, I now much prefer the straights!

Interesting you should mention that, I've been driving mine in snow and ice a lot and I too have noticed it is pretty tail happy. I just assumed it was the weather but reading this combined with the other thread where the guys are saying it's setup with 2.5 degrees negative camber, I am starting to think Ford tried to get a neutral handling SUV... If the SPORT had a natural tendency to understeer it wouldnt need that 2.5 degrees at the back

• Like 1

Interesting you should mention that, I've been driving mine in snow and ice a lot and I too have noticed it is pretty tail happy. I just assumed it was the weather but reading this combined with the other thread where the guys are saying it's setup with 2.5 degrees negative camber, I am starting to think Ford tried to get a neutral handling SUV... If the SPORT had a natural tendency to understeer it wouldnt need that 2.5 degrees at the back

well the -2.5 is way out of factory spec. that is with lowering springs installed. I believe factory is supposed to be between -.3 to -1.8, and this can be achieved, even with the springs installed... unless you go to an alignment guy that has no idea what they're doing (i've posted that story on here in a few places)

• Like 1

"Performance is not measured in straight lines alone". ;)

The Edge Sport was able to tie the Porche Macan S through Motortrend's figure-8 course when shod with all season tires. With the ST improvements this could be prove to one "sure footed" SUV. :)

Edited by Bamm1

The Edge Sport was able to tie the Porche Macan S through Motortrend's figure-8 course when shod with all season tires. With the ST improvements this could be prove to one "sure footed" SUV. :)

A Macan will eat my dust after I put on the new Pilot Sport 4S tires next week. Heck, I don't think a Macan could keep up now, even with my bald Scorpion Verdi All Season tires. :ford: :shift:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Livernois V3 running 93 octane and 93+race gas using the race tune.

Mustang GT beware

Hellcats shouldn't sleep at the starting line

Did you remove the rear seat or spare tire or anything else to reduce the weight? Did you brake to spool up the turbos for launch, if so what RPM did you launch at? Do you have a aftermarket exhaust or any other mods? I am confused did you use the 93 V3 performance tune or a race gas tune ?

Xtra, I did remove spare tire, not the jack, added torque wrench and had a baby seat in the back.

I ran both 93 and race tunes.

No exhaust, not sure which rpm I launched at. I did a basic log, join my FB group, happy to share the details.

The forthcoming x3 m will smoke this new edge, heck the x3 m40 trim already does. Ford should have put the 3.5L ecoboost or similar in this vehicle, according the to engine bay specs there is room. This is an ST, so the increase in price isn't important.

Edited by Nicksterr

There may be room in the engine bay but the chassis wasn't designed for that much power. Even on the D3 vehicles (Explorer/Flex/MKT/Taurus/MKS) they had to completely redesign the front clip to handle the power.

What does a X3 M cost? $65K. And it's way smaller than an Edge. Better to compare with the X5 which would be even more expensive.

• Like 1

Can you feel the Testarossa-sterone? LOL. When the Gen 2 Sport was announced, that was the first time I felt Ford took the "Sport" moniker seriously. It has take time to explore the limits though, and still very few people are actually pushing the boundaries. Same thing with the 3.5EB in transverse configuration. Took time to figure out the programming, then time to make and fit custom parts. All very very packed in there.

There may be room in the engine bay but the chassis wasn't designed for that much power. Even on the D3 vehicles (Explorer/Flex/MKT/Taurus/MKS) they had to completely redesign the front clip to handle the power.

What does a X3 M cost? $65K. And it's way smaller than an Edge. Better to compare with the X5 which would be even more expensive.

The X3 M doesn't exist just yet. But given that the M3 starts at ~67k and "model for model" the X3 costs more than the 3 series sedan, I wouldn't be surprised if ends up in the 70k area to start. It is simply not an Edge ST competitor at that price. That would be reserved for the likes of the Merc GLC63, etc.

ford hasn't exactly been known for their performance SUV's. It wouldn't be a smart business move to start making a 500hp crossover-esque vehicle and just dump it into the market and "just see how sales go". Create a buzz, feel out the people.

Marketing, you ever heard of it?

Like WWW said, it was the first time they actually got some "sport" out of a sport. and out of all the people that have bought it, how many carve the canyons or take it to the drag strip? I'd bet my salary its less than 1% of their sales. How could you justify that in a boardroom?

"Hey, let's jam the raptor motor in a minivan and see if people like it"

The new Explorer/Aviator will be capable of using the same drivetrains as the F150 and Mustang, so I guess we'll see how far they're willing to go on performance.

The rumor mill has the Explorer ST following in the footsteps of the Edge ST. It is being suggested that it will be equipped with the new 10A and a re-tuned version of the MKZ's 3.0T taking it over the 400 hp mark.

Edited by Bamm1
  • Like 1

The X3 M40i starts at 54.5k and is very nicely equipped even in base trim, so you can't really compare it to the starting MSRP of the ford edge sport (not to mention the ST starting price will be higher). 0-60 in 4.6s.

Edge only has 11 more sq feet cargo space. Estimate are putting ST 0-60 in mid 5-6s range. Ford could do better here. Go big, or go home.

Ford is known for performance in its enthusiast segment so that argument doesn't hold any water.

That's likely. The 3.0 seems to be replacing the 3.5EB except for F150, Expy and Navi.

But they could certainly use the 3.5EB if they wanted to.

This is great news for as the 3.0 TT moves into the Ford lineup it will be easier to find one for my nefarious purpose. Some of you know I have been looking for a while but have been unable to procure one. :(

• Like 1

The X3 M40i starts at 54.5k and is very nicely equipped even in base trim, so you can't really compare it to the starting MSRP of the ford edge sport (not to mention the ST starting price will be higher). 0-60 in 4.6s.

Edge only has 11 more sq feet cargo space. Estimate are putting ST 0-60 in mid 5-6s range. Ford could do better here. Go big, or go home.

Ford is known for performance in its enthusiast segment so that argument doesn't hold any water.

Why can't we compare the starting price of the M40i to the starting price of the Edge Sport? Because the M40i has more options and amenities at its staring price? Then we can just look at the "loaded" Edge Sport. It is still 5k less than the M40i's starting price. Even if the ST costs 5k more than the Sport the "loaded" version will still cost less than the M40i's starting price. You also don't have to pay 300 bucks to get Carplay.

I wouldn't consider that an insignificant amount. The cargo capacity of a Lexus IS350 or Cadillac ATS is less than 11 cu-ft.

The current Edge Sport already goes 0-60 in that same range. The ST is at least a few tenths faster. I would say maybe closing in on FuSpo territory for straight line performance.

Ford could put the Raptor motor in the Edge and charge M40i money. But I am not sure that makes business sense given the take rate for the Sport and the expected take rate for the ST.