Riding lawnmower input requested

Chipster

That appears to be completely false. All John Deere lawn tractors including the ones sold at Home Depot are made in the US by John Deere. And there is no difference. They are lower quality than the S or X series but they’re no different than the ones you buy at the JD dealer.

Well not exactly! Not all JD's are created equal and in fact there are some really big differences between the JD's sold in the big box stores and what JD sells @ their own retail outlets. I just got back from a visit to my local JD outlet and was very surprised to discover that their smaller lawn tractors (maybe bigger ones as well?) are powered by one and two cylinder Kawasaki engines while the Home Depot sold JD's use Kohler twins and what are described as "OEM" single cylinder engines. The sales guy at the JD outlet maintained that there are other differences to be found on the mower deck and drive components as well. Man, this mower due diligence is a bitch! :doh: One more thing, the warranty on the JD 's from their outlets are two to four years depending on the model selected.

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

Well not exactly! Not all JD's are created equal and in fact there are some really big differences between the JD's sold in the big box stores and what JD sells @ their own retail outlets. I just got back from a visit to my local JD outlet and was very surprised to discover that their smaller lawn tractors (maybe bigger ones as well?) are powered by one and two cylinder Kawasaki engines while the Home Depot sold JD's use Kohler twins and what are described as "OEM" single cylinder engines. The sales guy at the JD outlet maintained that there are other differences to be found on the mower deck and drive components as well. Man, this mower due diligence is a bitch! :doh: One more thing, the warranty on the JD 's from their outlets are two to four years depending on the model selected.

But are you comparing the same models? E.g. are you looking at a JD E100 at both places? Those should be exactly the same regardless of where it's sold. Most dealers probably carry the S or X lines which are more expensive and which do have better engines and other components.

• Like 1

I can almost guarantee that they're comparing the E series at HD with their S and X series. The E series is on the JD website with all the specs. If the JD dealer sold the E series they would be the same as HD.

And they're correct about the S and X being better but that's why they're more expensive. It's not like HD is pulling some kind of bait and switch where their E100 is cheaper than another dealer's E100.

• Like 1

Information on Wikipedia is public input, anybody can put it on there. I was told by a John Deere salesman that all their mowers lawn,tractors and small ag. tractors were made in India by Yanmar. John Deere could have changed manufacturers, I haven't tried to buy a John Deere product in 4 or 5 years. When I bought a new 40 HP tractor, I bought a Kabota. I personally don,t care what brand mower anyone buys. IMO John Deere does not make a good product until you get in to large equipment, $50,000 and up.

• Like 1

I've read that the John Deere LA-105 & 115 series are manufactured at Greeneville, Tennessee plant. I know the units sold at big box stores are not the same as the LA series sold by dealers; Home Depot, Lowes and the like each have their own specifications.

The confusion has to do with models and model numbers.

Let’s be clear - HD and Lowes sell the 100 series John Deere mowers. They are all made in the US. They used to be called LA, then D and now they’re called E1xx. You can buy a 100 series mower from a big box store OR a JD dealer and the same model number is the same mower wherever you buy it.

A E140 is a E140 - no difference where you buy it.

The difference is that not all dealers carry all the same models. JD dealers carry the S and X lines which are way better quality and consequently more expensive compared to the E series. But those are completely different model numbers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Perhaps you mean the formally known as Sears? These days that purchase would be a real crap shoot!

I have a 10-year old Craftsman tractor and all the parts are still available. I also have a 1957 Craftsman radial arm saw (inherited) that is still in their parts system. Still, I do get your point. All that could change tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't need a rider anymore but when I did I had both a Wheelhorse and Allis Chalmers mower that I picked up used and completely rebuilt. I don't think either are made anymore they were built to last and everything is available from real hardware stores or a place like Grainger. For a fraction of the cost I had mowers that I'd bet are still running today. The AC also had most any accessory you could imagine for the PTO that was standard.

I also wonder why a rebuilt 12 hp Kohler from the 60's smokes a current 20 hp engine? I normally disregard the praise for what "use to be" and the "back in my day" nonsense but not on this one.

• Like 1

akirby,

I agree. Before we moved into town with small yards a neighbor tried pulling a metal shed off a slab and as soon as he hit the lawn it wouldn't budge with his newer high HP mower. I got the AC and I could have dragged the shed anywhere he wanted it and that was without lifting it with the 3 point PTO hitch. It was a wheelie machine too if you weren't careful.

IMO it has a lot to do with the 'type' of transmission. The older units had a manual gearbox, in some cases, a heavy duty gearbox and differential. The newer ones use a flimisy hydrostatic. The hydos make it easier to mow grass, but the gears transfered power better.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

I like that I can switch from forward to reverse using foot controls. And ability to vary speed with foot pressure. Can't do that with gears.

I like that too.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a new JD - we should be closing on the new house in about 4 weeks. I’m leaning towards a Z355 - 48” zero turn mower. Any experience/advice on those? The other option is a S class tractor but I think the Zero turn mower will work better especially on the side and back yards that are sloped.

akirby,

Zero turn mowers are a completely different animal IMO. They are nice mowers but they are strictly mowers. I admit it's a bias on my part but when I think of a home riding mower I think of a lawn tractor mostly because of their versatility. I didn't need a separate snow blower when I had the AC. The PTO blower wasn't phased by the depth of the snow and could blow the heaviest stuff across the yard and never clogged. I had a 8" post hole digger, rototill, plow, scraper like your father in law and it could cut the grass. Our home was also on a river and about this time every year as the level of the river went down my mower could get in to the shore brush and cut the cattails and other heavy growth that newer tractors couldn't touch. This is actually what led me to looking in to rebuilding an older mower after reading a magazine article. Getting the stuff cut at the river was necessary to keep the mosquitos down. Something that we never considered when buying the home. That was a mistake.

enigma-2,

I have to give you these features. Forward and reverse direction changing on the AC did require stopping and changing of gears. The throttle though was similar although it was a hand lever instead of a pedal. What I got instead was a hi and low 6 speed transmission with 4 forward and 2 reverse gears. This was for the PTO which I never took full advantage of, but I could see how a lot of people did. For about $1,000 in the early 80's for the machine, attachments and the rebuild of the engine and tractor I had what at the time would have been well north of $3,000. I can only guess at what that would translate to in todays dollars?

The security in buying new is a more than reasonable consideration when buying what to most is a big ticket item. I've made my share of bad decisions and doing the work myself is the only reason things like the tractor were economical.

I’m well aware of the utility of a tractor - used our old JD tractor with a Rubbermaid dump cart for the last 15 years including hauling 3000 pavers from the driveway to the back yard. Also used it to pull my utility trailer in and out of the back yard. But I won’t need that at the new house. You can still pull a small trailer even with the Z355 with an accessory hitch. I just think it will do much better at cutting grass especially on a hill.