GT500R

Fresh Air Intake Mod

Now that I have explained the reason to rebuild the wood base it should be known that the carbon material only comes 2 foot wide. And I have to get this off my chest. I do not feel that calling it carbon fiber is correct even though the vendor calls that. As I have explained before it is a vacuum form able thermoplastic base with as the vendor said with a thin carbon fiber layer bonded to it with a clear layer bonded on top of that. It is not solid carbon fiber. So to avoid any confusion I am going to call it carbon fiber material or carbon fiber effect or carbon fiber look. Because it is not solid carbon fiber. It is the same great looking material as in the photos and videos.  If you ordered one and thought it was solid carbon fiber  I apologize for any confusion for those who want a refund please pm me

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Shout out and props to DBEDGE23 for working with me and helping with the 2015 fit, those are his photos of the 2015 intake.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

There is a lot of work to do with the V2 of the mold. it has to be completely rebuilt, including the wood base. The wood base on V1 was too large and the vacuum machine had trouble holding onto the 2 X 4ft material. By making the base smaller it allows the machine a better grip on the hot material. The only other choice is to use larger pieces of material and there are problems with doing that. First, the black ABS intakes would go up in price ( possibly a lot ) and second, the carbon material only comes in 2 ft wide sheets, so using the carbon material with the larger base takes a chance of the machine losing its grip and ruining the part.

I have cut the new top to size and will try to frame it in tomorrow. It is much easier the second time around.. LOL 

new box.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Xtra said:

There is a lot of work to do with the V2 of the mold. it has to be completely rebuilt, including the wood base. The wood base on V1 was too large and the vacuum machine had trouble holding onto the 2 X 4ft material. By making the base smaller it allows the machine a better grip on the hot material. The only other choice is to use larger pieces of material and there are problems with doing that. First, the black ABS intakes would go up in price ( possibly a lot ) and second, the carbon material only comes in 2 ft wide sheets, so using the carbon material with the larger base takes a chance of the machine losing its grip and ruining the part.

I have cut the new top to size and will try to frame it in tomorrow. It is much easier the second time around.. LOL 

new box.JPG

I hear that the third time's the charm...

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Keep the good work! We are here to help!

Edited by DBEDGE23
  • Thanks 1

Spent the day gathering everything needed to finish the wood frame. After running around there was only enough time to lay out the design and drill the mounting holes. At least some progress was made. 

7A10B2A2-5780-43B7-B862-1D28B1AABE5F.jpeg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I am trying to finish this week with V2 and test mold one intake  sometime next week. If everything goes well then the following week production should start back on track and filling  the orders. Fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 1

Sorry some of us are messaging rather than reading. We saw this amazing part and how awesome it is and forgot about the craftsman. Your work looks amazing, and I can't wait to sport one on my Sport... Thanks for the updates.

• Like 1

Today was hot!! Around 85*f ,  It was also productive. I was able to complete  the woodwork and it is ready for the putty, sanding, finish coat, and mounting of the vacuum fittings. 

The base framework with handholds to protect fingers and ease of carry. 

D1421C92-718A-4C40-A287-59641CA0C2EA.jpeg

Size difference between V1 and the smaller V2. 

DDAD683B-2E66-4535-902B-E0C0DDC895B6.jpeg

Leftover hair gel.. lol. 🤪

0DBB6C9E-49F2-4D91-A072-B1887B2E6F49.jpeg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today was a good day. Last night I was able to Bondo the frame so it could cure overnight. The Bondo seals any vacuum leaks and smooths the seams. I was able to get a coat of varnish on it, then I was redirected to the front door to varnish it... by my better half. ;)

Lucky for me there was just enough varnish left to cover the door before it ran out.  I still need to attach the vacuum fittings and get another can of varnish to finish the base. 

This is what happens when I apply Bondo in the dark. It makes for a lot of sanding.

BONDO TO PREVENT AIR LEAKS.JPG

Sanded down the Bondo and curved the corners with a router to help release the intake from the mold.

SANDED & CORNERS ROUNDED.JPG

Drying the varnish in the sun next to the orange tree. That one tree produces oranges by the bushel basket, no one gets Scurvy at my house lol. 

FIRST SEALER COAT.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Haha 1

I think the last count said that one black one was available. I'd like to put my name on it. This is a super cool project and it was really cool to watch it come together from beginning to end in the matter of an hour 😀

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bscott94 said:

I think the last count said that one black one was available. I'd like to put my name on it. This is a super cool project and it was really cool to watch it come together from beginning to end in the matter of an hour 😀

Thanks bscott94, that info was on the last run of V1 made and is no longer valid. No worries, once V2 is complete and tested, I will begin taking orders for the next run, and I will announce it here in this thread. Stay tuned and keep checking in. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2