Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

No word from the shop yet so I assume that they have not molded the intake yet or have run into some kind of problem. Anyway I have no control over that so I just need to be patient. I will give them a call at the end of the day and get a report on what’s up. It would be nice if I could get it done over the weekend and test next week.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally have an update. The V2 mold was tested and I have one intake molded. Because I rounded off the edges of the wood on the mold there was a problem with getting proper vacuum . This did not hurt the part but made it more difficult for the shop to work with . In the photo of the untrimmed part you can see where the material melted and pulled through. The shop is working on a solution for me and I may have to modify the wood part of the mold again and remove the rounded  edges. The good news is that The fiberglass part of the mold is working better than ever.

Here you can see how the ABS melted and holes formed along the rounded edges loosing vacuum

V2.JPG

This compares V1 on the bottom  and V2 on top. The gasket line is much better defined on the V2

V2 & V1.JPG

Test fit of the V2 .

I have not even finished hand fitting it and it is looking good. The hood rubber bumpers stick above the intake a little more, and there is added room for the hood latch. I took it for a test drive and I can't tell any difference in performance between V1 and V2. All that is needed is to complete the finishing and then test for universal fit on 2015 to 18 Edges. 

V2 test fit.JPG 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The plastic shop made some adjustments to their machine and now the V2 mold is working as designed . This is great news as I won't have to rebuild the wood portion of the mold. I am still awaiting for a test fit report on the 2015 models. I have decided to make 5 ABS intakes this week anyway. I know that the test fitting is not complete, and I am taking a big chance, but I feel it is better to get some intakes out there now to get some feedback on fitment on different years and models, as to wait any longer. The intake is not in full production yet,  but I have to get the ball rolling somehow.  If I have good feedback from the 5  V2 ABS intakes then I will make the Carbon effect ones that are on on back order, start taking  new orders,  and move into production. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I have PM the Lucky 5 that will receive the first V2 intakes. If you are one of the L5 please be kind and remember that you are the first.  I expect everything to work out fine, but there is still a small chance that there might be a fitment problem just because I had to guesstimate the variances between years and models cars.  The V2 was tested on my 2016 Sport and it fit even better than the V1 did, so just PM me if you have any hiccups. 

Edited by Xtra

More good news, the plastic shop has already molded the ABS intakes and I am going over to the shop today to pick the up them up. Now that at the first batch of V2  ABS intakes have been molded the shop can start on the Carbon Fiber. 

This has been a long road to get to this place and I thank everyone who believed in me . Without your encouragement I doubt that I would have  made it this far. Thank you all :hat_tip:.  

• Like 4

Ok , I have been busy all day, I was at the shop and checked out their vacuum form machine and discovered a couple problems that I am working with them to correct. This is not a big thing as they were still able to get 5 ABS intakes molded and ready to be trimmed. The CarbonFiber intakes will have to wait a bit until I can get their machine up to my standards... LOL . So I have to order some steel and fab a part for them. This might set things back one week, but it will improve and provide more even heating of the thermoplastic, not only on the intakes, but on all of their projects.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Discovered  a few drops of oil in the driveway and thought it was the oil pan again . After inspection it  turns out that it was a bad valve cover gasket.. so got the replacement gasket and swapped it out for the bad one. No big deal but there is not enough time in the day to get the plastic shop's  Vacuum Form machine fixed, trim the intakes, fix my car and respond to all your PM. I know I am forgetting something :headscratch: Oh well, no worries. There is always tomorrow . .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found the steel needed for the Vacuum Form Machine fix and It should arrive by  Wednesday April 7.  Full production should start no later than the next Monday April 12 if not sooner. The Carbon Fiber material is custom ordered and takes a few weeks lead time to produce, IMO it is worth the wait. I will eventually have the Black ABS  V2 Intakes in stock for immediate delivery. Right now everything is made to order. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First round of V2 intakes shipped today ?
Thanks everyone for being so patient. I know it has taken a very long time to get to this point. There were so many challenges to overcome and now that I have completed my work on the mold. The plastic shop has to step up. Found out today that they  have not ordered the steel yet to fix their vacuum machine. . It needs to be fixed  before molding the next  round of V2 intakes. 

V2 intakes ready to ship.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1