Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

I have placed an order for more Carbon Fiber material. It takes 4 weeks  or more to manufacture and ship as it is a special order custom item. I have enough in stock now to cover the back orders,  but I need more to fill all the new V2 orders. The black ABS is always in stock.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Completed molding the first run of V2 Carbon Fiber intakes. Just had enough of the Carbon Fiber material in stock to cover the backorders from the V1 days. More material is on order and should arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. It is custom made for me that is why the long wait. When it arrives I will have enough to cover all the orders including the black ABS ones. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 7

The first round of V2 intakes should be arriving as I shipped them last week. I am holding my breath for someone to post some photos and find out if there are any hiccups. Please be kind as I am trying and this is my first attempt at anything like this. If there is positive feedback it will encourage me to attempt an air box  to complete a high performance CAI system . 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

The first round of V2 intakes should be arriving as I shipped them last week. I am holding my breath for someone to post some photos and find out if there are any hiccups. Please be kind as I am trying and this is my first attempt at anything like this. If there is positive feedback it will encourage me to attempt an air box  to complete a high performance CAI system . 

I had a package delivered from California today. Once my daughter is asleep, I'll try to install it on our 2016. If not tonight, it'll be tomorrow after work 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Xtra said:

Hey Xtra,

I received mine yesterday and installed this morning.  Comments: 

1) Hole alignment on the far right hole is off. 

2) Hood bumper hole on the right side is also a tad off but did not interfere when push past it.

3) Trimming on the left side was a bit aggressive.

4) The new rivet press pins were still too short, I had to press down on it and only could use one of them, used the old ones with better success in them grabbing.  Looks as if they needed to be about 1/4" longer.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.  Thanks.

Left side cutout excessive.jpgRivets.jpg

Side Right .jpgSide Left.jpginstalled before+after.jpg

Edited by Donto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Donto for your review and the photos :)
Yes, it is  necessary to push down on the front edge of the V2 intake to compress it in order for the rivet clips to catch and hold. I have searched for longer clips but the ones included with the intake are the longest ones I have found. I am glad the stock clips worked for you. The intake is designed that way in order to have the maximum air cavity possible and still have the hood close..

To install the intake you do have to wiggle it over the hood rubber bumpers. I tried to have a tighter fit than OEM around the bumpers in order to reduce any hot air from the engine bay getting in.

It is frustrating that I have messed so much with getting all the holes aligned, and yet, they are still off a bit. All the clips do fit, hold the intake tightly, and once installed the clips do cover the holes completely. So I settled with a compromise. 

Trimming, drilling, fitting and sanding is taking around one hour for each intake and it is all done by hand. I recognize your intake and you are correct, aggressive is a good word for it.  Yours was the very first one and I apologize if it’s not spot on, I will get better with practice. Fortunately the area in question is fairly hidden when the intake is installed. But if it bothers you please PM me, no worries . Because there is so much hand work involved every intake will be different 

Thanks again for your review. I hope you enjoy  your V2 intake.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Little late, my daughter wouldn't stay asleep long enough for me to install (new born), but installed it this morning & install was relatively painless. Only 'issue' (if you want to call it that) is the hood takes more effort to close. Went for a short drive for lunch & things seem to be fine. I'll watch my intake air temps to see if they're lower than what they were before installing. 

Attach0_20210414_184045.jpg

Attach0_20210414_184043.jpg

Attach0_20210414_184037.jpg

Attach0_20210414_184032.jpg

• Like 3

Lildisco, Thanks for the post. :)Great photos, looking good!  Please check the intake every so often for marks on it . Those marks would be where there hood is making contact. No marks no contact.  I am trimming the wings more to lower the intake as much as possible. I do not see the hood latch wire on the drivers side . Perhaps yours is different than my car. The reason to put the hood release wire in the top corner as in the tip install photos  is to keep the intake as low as possible. If it is giving you problems please PM me and we will work it out. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

As this was the first batch of V2 intakes, I am extremely interested in any and all feedback.

Also I have purchased some tools to help with the trimming it the tight places around the wings and on the ends.

Today I am trimming two ABS intakes to prefect my skills with the new tools before I cut into the Carbon Fiber ones. The new tools are are a great help in precision, to avoid those aggressive cuts,  but not much of a time saver. I am taking my time to do better with the trimming and fitting and it is taking much longer to do . The first batch each intake took just over an hour, this time it is looking like 1 3/4 hr to 2 hr each. I just want good results and for people to be happy with the intake. So feedback is important to me.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

Oops I thought I  had 

erased that. Exactly for the reasons that you stated. And I did not want it to sound like an advertisement . It is just my  hypothesis on what I think it does and how it works

. I posted it because I have been asked so many  times what does it do? . And I’m glad you like the way it looks. ?

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

Oops I thought I  had 

erased that. Exactly for the reasons that you stated. And I did not want it to sound like an advertisement . It is just my  hypothesis on what I think it does and how it works

. I posted it because I have been asked so many  times what does it do? . And I’m glad you like the way it looks. ?

The principle with NA cars is to reduce pressure drops along every link in the intake supply chain to help VE into the piston.  Colin & Dad showed that with the bigger airbox and extra feed the fuel needed (lbs) increased and the tune was adjusted (90% sure that's correct!)  Theory is now the turbos didn't need to work as hard to draw in the air and operated better in the efficiency island, FWIW, that's my take on it.  I wish I wasn't overworked and could tinker more with this intake supply with you! ?

Those with data logging capability will have to track airbox intake temps to see it it helps.  Better would be pressure drop before and after.  Anyway, I'm just glad to help the cause!

Edited by Donto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MSCOSC said:

I have not received my intake yet so I will do some basic data logging to see what I can find.  Any other PIDs worth tracking?

That would be great to have some data on the V2. I am very interested. By setting a base line with the stock cover we can compare the two .  The snorkel is the choke point, as all the air has to pass through that little cutout slot in the metal panel that it attaches too.  I think they best we can hope for is a bit cooler air and a bit more flow under full throttle than the OEM unit, having a pressure drop would be fantastic. . It will really show it's full potential when the V3 Air Box is added and a complete system is in place. ... Wait what !!

FILTER ADAPTORS copy.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

I have only five orders left to fill, but 10 is the minimum size run to get the discount. So I’m going to take a chance,  invest and make more intakes than have been ordered  to reach the minimum of 10. There will be 2 Carbon fiber and 3 ABS intakes available in this next run that have not been reserved. They will be in stock and ready to go. Unless more orders come, this could be the last run of intakes. 

• Like 2

I have talked the plastic shop into splitting up the order so I can get the discount, and the ABS intakes can made and shipped faster, even though the Carbon Fiber is not here yet. The catch is I had to order up 8 of the ABS intakes to do that ,and I only have orders for 3. So that means that I will have 5 Black V2 ABS intakes in stock ready to go.  And it is possible that they will be the last 5 ever. That being said I have ordered up 5 sheets of the Carbon Fiber material and I only have 2 orders for those. I will most likely keep one of those for myself leaving 2 carbon fiber V2 intakes unspoken for and chances are that they will be the last 2 of those ever made. I say this because I do not think I will ever get enough orders in the future at one time to get the discount group pricing. I will always be able to make them one at a time, but there will be setup fees and no group discount. I just hope that the 2 extra Carbon Fiber and 5 extra ABS intakes I make find homes ... soon. If you are interested this is your last chance at these group prices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1