Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

• 2 weeks later...

Have finished the shaping and just put on the first sanding finish coat. I will wet sand it, then apply another sanding layer and wet sand that as well. At that point, the plug will be ready for a coat of finishing resin, so it will buff out to a high gloss super hard finish ready for the vacuum machine. .  . . I hope....

Xtra Fresh Air Intake First Finish CoatCoatJPG.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

This has become a bigger project than I originally thought. I thought I would just cast the part, clean it up, and be done in a couple of days.  I have worked a few hours every day on this project for weeks on end, and progress is being made, but it is slow dirty work. I added the first sanding coat ( photo above )  but then I realized that it was too soon for that and the mold needed more work before finishing.  I needed to make sure that I had a zero or a positive draft angle on all edges so the part will release from the mold and not get stuck. This has to be done without changing the original design in any way so the part will fit properly. I am learning as I go.

Draft-Angles.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

i was kinda fond of the marbled look :)

I added a hard 2 part white finish to it to see the shape better. The Jersey Cow marbled look tricks the eye, and the all-white surface shows off the small imperfections better. Still, have a ways to go before it can be tested, but getting closer every day.   

• Like 1

I have checked with and visited several shops over the last few months, and every one of them had a homemade vacuum machine that was cobbled together. They might work, but there was no temp control or other things in place to guarantee that the quality of the parts would be consistent.  Today I found a great local shop with a beautiful professional vacuum machine to do the work.  The part will have a black textured finish on the outside for a nice look, and a polished smooth inside for better airflow.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I  just discovered that I have to turn it into an actual tool that the vacuum machine can connect to. I thought that I was done but, I had only completed one part of the puzzle. So perhaps by next week sometime, barring any other surprises, it will be ready to test.

IMG_5286.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

I spent the day cutting air channels into the base of the mold. The channels connect to one of the 4 manifolds under the mold and suck out the air around the base of the mold.  15 lbs of air pressure on every square inch on the outside of the mold forcing the material into shape. I hope the mold is strong enough to survive, I did not know that 100% of vacuum is going to go through the mold!  Aluminum is the material of choice for these things as composite fiberglass molds have a limited life. The good thing is they can be repaired to extend their life a little.  So far I have been very lucky, considering all the things I did not know about when I started this project.  

IMG_5308.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I found out that the mold must be bolted,  screwed, or glued to 3/4" plywood...  Always something :),  I did not know this when I started the project, and just found out this week! I thought you just set the mold on a table and the machine did the rest... LOL.   Now I am embedding bolt anchors into the mold, that way the mold can be removed from the plywood if ever necessary. . There was no plan for this, but again luck was on my side and places for the anchors were found like it was designed for them from the begining. I am unawair of any bolt anchors that are specific for use in fiberglass and was not sure what to do.  Finally decided that stacking two 1/4X20 Tee Nuts and embedding them as anchors was the best answer.  The holes are drilled and ready, but the local hardware store is plum out of 1/4 X20 Tee Nuts   I really am just designing as I go along. 

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

• Like 3

Finished potting the bolt anchors and chased the threads with a tap. It is finished ready for assembly and testing. !!!   Unfortunately..... when I turned the mold over I discovered that, when I potted the anchors some resin got into one of the vacuum holes I drilled and leaked out then hardened on top of the mold. I believe that the anchor bolt hole intersected a vacuum hole. When I went to remove the drip, the finish coat chipped!   I marked the suspect holes that it leaked through and will redrill them to make sure they did not fill up with resin. Thought I was finished .. Now I have to redo the finish... LOL,  always something. 

IMG_5438.JPG                                       IMG_5451.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 1

Today I added a port for positive air pressure. The idea is that after the plastic has been vacuumed tight onto the mold, a shot of air is used to pop it loose from the mold to help release it. With this addition, fabrication is complete :rockon:.  
   All that is left to do is to bolt the mold to the frame, and it is ready.. Still, there are many unanswered questions.  Will it work? -  Will the part fit?  -  Will it look good? .....  

AIR INPUT TO POP PART OFF MOLD.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Thank you WWWPerfA_ZNOW, I have a lot more respect for sculptures now. LOL  

The first test part will be made with clear polycarbonate. That way I can check the fit, see if there is any interference anyplace, and I can locate the mounting holes exactly.

Edited by Xtra
  • Haha 1