Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

It is looking like it is not going to happen this week, the shop is just to busy with making  Covid Shields.

Not all progress has stalled though.  I have been working on, and have located, a new material supply vendor that is looking very good. ?

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The shop got around to testing the mold and it worked great!  :happyfeet: 

There were no problems with the vacuum, and the positive air input I added to pop the part off of the mold worked so well that the shop will be adding that feature to their molds. I still need to trim, locate and drill the mounting holes, and test for fit. Hopefully, can get it done by the end of the day because tomorrow is Thanksgiving. :)

XTRA'S IONTAKE, FIRST TEST IN CLEAR FOR FITMENT.JPG    

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

It fits.... and the hood closes.:headspin: I am over the top happy with the results.

With the first one being transparent it was clear that there were no interference problems..... LOL 

XTRA'S INTAKE 1.JPG

In this photo, you can see how the holes line up for the hood release and bump stops. 

XTRA'S INTAKE 2.JPG

The cardboard shows where the air enters then moves across to the snorkel.

EXTRA'S INTAKE 3.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Nothing like having a clear component for doing the final fit and clearance analysis. This was a major project that had a very successful outcome. Congratulations on a job well done! ?

Thank you so much, you are correct, it has been quite a journey to get to this point, and  I agree, having a clear component cost me some $$ but it was well worth it. Just got back from a test run and it works as intended. Although the clear intake works, the next step is to make the real thing with much better cosmetics. TBC

Edited by Xtra

I just realized that this project started in June of 2017 and should be completed by late December 2020.  Almost 3 1/2  years to get to this point if I counted correctly.  That includes my first mod to the grill as mentioned at the start of this thread, the design of the intake starting from clay,  and several months of testing the fiberglass prototype for proof of concept, and making the mold.  Overall, I am very satisfied with the look and quality of the part.  It does not have the very fine detail of an OEM pressure molded part, but it still way better than the fiberglass prototype,  and it did not cost $15,000 or  $20,000 for the mold. Still, IMHO the quality is as good as any vacuum formed part available. To me, it still has some of that hand made feel to it, not computer / digitally perfect, more organic.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Xtra said:

I still need to trim, locate and drill the mounting holes, and test for fit. Hopefully, can get it done by the end of the day because tomorrow is Thanksgiving.

May I suggest you add some indentations on the mold were the holes would be so that they would be easily located after making the product? Or maybe screw in screws so holes are ready? I am sure this is something you probably had it in mind, just in case.

• Like 2

The problem is in trimming the intake. It is done by hand, each one is a little different, and it takes time . That is not a bad thing but, these will never be 100% flawless and perfect . After all they are homemade. And people now days are accustomed  to perfect  flawless products made by robots in huge facilities. I have been working close with the shop trying to get the best price, and it is looking like runs of 5 or ten will be necessary to do that. Heck, I don’t know if anyone is even interested..

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CrackedDSM said:

9 hours ago, CrackedDSM said:

I know I said lol, but I’m actually serious. I really like the clear look. I don’t know why. 

CrackedDSM,  I will be able to make them in clear, and in black.  The bling that I have mentioned, but have not tested yet is, ....Carbon Fiber !!   Not just Black but in Red and White Carbon Fiber as well :chacha:  WWWPerfA_ZNOW I checked for you and unfortunately, sprinkles are not an option at this time...:reading: 

Edited by Xtra
  • Haha 1

UPDATE :

I had originally ordered the sample of the special carbon material on 11-14 and they just shipped it today 12-2, and it won't arrive until the middle of next week 12 -9. If this new carbon material works as intended then the lead time on the carbon part is now up to 3 to 4 weeks. The black and clear are in stock and ready to go. I am just waiting on the carbon, and when it arrives I will make two samples, one in black and one in carbon fiber. That way I can save on the setup expense.  Hopefully, during the week of 12-14 to 12-18, the sample intakes will be done. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Omar302, I took the mold home from the shop for some tweaking, and to add the hole marker screws. The screw heads will make a little bump on top and a little indention on the backside that I can use to guide the drill. Hopefully, the placement of the screws are spot on... We will see on the next intake just how accurate they are, if necessary they can always be adjusted.

SCREW HEAD  HOLE MARKERS.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2