Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

If you have been following this thread you may have noticed that the mold is in the machine ready to go. This is temporary at best, and when the shop has another job that requires the vacuum machine the mold will be removed from the machine. At that point, this opportunity to obtain an Edge-CAI will be over. I do not make any money on these, nor did I ever expect to. I estimate that If this part was sold by K&N it would be over $230 for the black and over $350 for the carbon.

IMHO this E-CAI is professional in quality, fit, finish, and engineering, and is the only CAI for the G2-Edge available. Yes, I can feel the difference in performance with it. If it did not improve performance, I would have never invested all this work and energy into it.  I spent over a year testing and the E-CAI is part of the reason my car runs in the 12’s. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

To install the CAI,

1.  Remove all 12 rivet clips

2.  Swap out the OEM

sight shield with the E-CAI

3.  Replace the clips

Even for someone with little skill, it should take less than 10 min, most will be able to finish in less than 5. 

To remove the rivet clips:

1.   Lift up the top center part of of the clip with a screwdriver or butter knife. 

LIFT UP TOP.JPG

2-  Remove both parts of the clip.

That's it, super easy.

To re-install them just reverse the process.

REMOVE AND PUT IN SAFE PLACE.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Made a little video for a better look at the Gen 2 Edge CAI. The still photos don't do it justice.

The one mounting hole that is miss-aligned without a rivet clip had been corrected. That is why I turned down the screw heads on the mold.  I have achieved a precision fit without the use of computers, scanners, CAD programs, or CNC machines. The guys at GAS were blown away when they saw it. **Brand new video of the carbon fiber intake is available a few posts down on this page.  Check it out. :victory: 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One person has ordered,  4 to go to start a run.  PM me or say something here and I will contact you with details. A reminder the shop will close for Christmas through the New Year.  If Santa is to make the Christmas deadline he needs to get started ASAP. The carbon CAI has been scheduled to be molded . I will  give an update and report as soon as I know what’s up. It was supposed to be done today. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Xtra said:

One person has ordered,  4 to go to start a run.  PM me or say something here and I will contact you with details. A reminder the shop will close for Christmas through the New Year.  If Santa is to make the Christmas deadline he needs to get started ASAP. The carbon CAI has been scheduled to be molded . I will  give an update and report as soon as I know what’s up. It was supposed to be done today. 

I just PM'd you XTRA - Count me in.

• Like 1

I just picked up the Carbon CAI and it is awesome :happyfeet:.  It worked great with the mold and passed muster with flying colors. The guys are the shop were amazed at how good it looks and the overall results, they had never seen any material like it. It has even exceeded my expectations. This is not a solid carbon fiber piece. According to the manufacture it is a composite of thermoplastic and carbon with a clear gloss top. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Finally, The carbon has been tested, molded, trimmed, and installed. The holes line up much better now that have I moved the marker screws in the mold. Not all the holes are absolutely perfectly centered, but they are within tolerance, and the rivet clips fit as designed. I did have to find longer rivet clips because the intake sits up a bit higher than stock. It is only the front five holes that are affected by this, the rest of the stock clips can be reused. I will include the longer clips with the intake, so no worries. 

IMG_6032.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

Wish this would fit my ST.

*** Fitment

Great news !  I just did some research, and it appears that the intake will fit across the entire Edge 2015 to 2018 line. Including the SE and SEL with the Aero package, Sport, and Titanium models :) . If you have questions about fitment,  just ask, I am working on a compatibility list. 

The bad news is that it looks as though it will not fit 2019 or 2020 Edges' .. any of them, including the ST, sorry Perblue, I just found out myself. .  Unfortunately, Ford changed the part in 2019, and I cannot say with any certainty that the E-CAI will fit those years.:shrug:   

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Xtra said:

*** Fitment

Great news !  I just did some research, and it appears that the intake will fit across the entire Edge 2015 to 2018 line. Including the SE and SEL with the Aero package, Sport, and Titanium models :) . If you have questions about fitment,  just ask, I am working on a compatibility list. 

The bad news is that it looks as though it will not fit 2019 or 2020 Edges' .. any of them, including the ST, sorry Perblue, I just found out myself. .  Unfortunately, Ford changed the part in 2019, and I cannot say with any certainty that the E-CAI will fit those years.:shrug:   

Yeah I was comparing photos and it looks so different and looks like the layout for the bump stops, hood latch and left and right edges are different. If it was just the contours I'd be tempted to give it a try. Maybe looks are deceiving but just looks too different. Amazing work though and carbon fiber one is just :drool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone asked what doe's it do?

This intake takes fresh cool outside air from across the entire front of the grill and feeds it to the snorkel. The design reduces any restrictions caused by the low profile OEM sight shield and provides a  larger, smoother airflow. There is more space under the CAI than stock, and the air stays cooler as it is no longer forced tight against the top of the radiator. As speed increases air is forced into the CAI and the large volume of the intake acts as a manifold to feed the snorkel evenly as demands require. All these little things add up to make HP, and IMHO it also looks cool. :) 

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

I am on the hunt for another plastic shop to do the work. If I can find a place to do work for less I can reduce the price.  If there is a new lower price, I will refund the difference to everyone who bought one or has placed a deposit. So no worries if you have already placed an order or received your intake, you will get a refund based on the new lower price if and when it is available.  I received another order today and this offer applies to every order coming in so do not worry you will get the lowest price and a refund if/ when I can get another shop to do the work.  .  All this is right now is a plan. I have to find another vendor that will do the work for less first, to implement a new price structure. If there were more orders I could use that as ammo to help lower the price and find a new shop.  

• Thanks 1