Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

On 12/17/2020 at 7:56 PM, Xtra said:

*** Fitment

Great news !  I just did some research, and it appears that the intake will fit across the entire Edge 2015 to 2018 line. Including the SE and SEL with the Aero package, Sport, and Titanium models :) . If you have questions about fitment,  just ask, I am working on a compatibility list. 

The bad news is that it looks as though it will not fit 2019 or 2020 Edges' .. any of them, including the ST, sorry Perblue, I just found out myself. .  Unfortunately, Ford changed the part in 2019, and I cannot say with any certainty that the E-CAI will fit those years.:shrug:   

I have a 2016 & a 2020. If I get some free time over the holidays, I'll swap my cover from the 2020 over to the 2016 to see if it fits for you & possibly what points are different. Would be interested in getting 2 if only minor modding needs to be done to the 2020 to get it to fit. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, lildisco said:

I have a 2016 & a 2020. If I get some free time over the holidays, I'll swap my cover from the 2020 over to the 2016 to see if it fits for you & possibly what points are different. Would be interested in getting 2 if only minor modding needs to be done to the 2020 to get it to fit. 

Thanks, Let me know if that works 

I am going to one more run of intakes after the new year and I have been working with my vendors and the shop to reduce the price.  Now that the shop has done a few and know that the mold works well, I should be able to get them to knock a few bucks off the price. If they don't work with me on the price, I will find another shop to do the work, but that could delay production. I don't know the new price yet, but I will refund any difference to anyone who has already bought one. This is directly out of my pocket, I just want to be transparent and fair to everyone. All of this is based on if I manage to lock in a new lower price, fingers crossed.  I did this project for myself, as my fiberglass CAI looked like s**t but it worked well, and I wanted something better, but because the mold I made can make more than one part, I decided to offer them to fellow forum members. If you are interested now is the time to jump on this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have Great news :). A few phone calls is all it took, and success !~! The bad news is these prices are for this next run only, I cannot guarantee any future prices. To get this new price, I have to foot the bill, as there are not enough orders so far to get the group pricing on this second run.... and hope that they sell. I am going to make 4 black and 2 carbon intakes in early January 21. As of now, there is only one carbon intake left available at this price and 3 black intakes available at this price.   I have invested to get these new lower prices for the forum members, and if they do not sell, then that is the end of it. What I did to save the money was buy a 4X8 ft sheet of the black material and cut it into 4 pieces of 24 X48 inch. I took the savings on the material and the cutting costs and passed it on. The carbon savings came from shipping two pieces at the same time, the carbon material price is fixed.  

They will never cost less than this.. Refunds have been dispursed, check your Pay Pal.

NEW PRICES

Black is now $108

Carbon is now $179

Edited by Xtra

Both Carbon intakes on this run have been reserved :happyfeet:. All future Carbon orders will have to be done in another run. What a relief, the carbon represents a big investment.  Only 3 black intakes left available on this run. If they sell then I will be able to continue.

I just wanted to point out some of the finer details. The holes in the intake for the rubber bump stops are a tighter fit than stock, and you will have to wiggle the intake into place. The reason I did this was to prevent hot air from the engine compartment from getting into the intake. The bump stops are located on the engine side of a long rubber gasket and the loose fit of the flat OEM part lets hot air from the engine compartment into the snorkel. The large hole for the hood catch is located on the cool side of the rubber gasket and any air getting in from there will be ambient temp. 

XTRA'S INTAKE TIGHT FIT.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, there was a problem with the carbon material, and I will talk to the vendor tomorrow about a fix  :doh:.  I expect a two-week delay on the carbon in order to get a new batch delivered, and I will give an update after I talk to the vendor. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  The good news is that the black intakes are scheduled to be molded by the end of the week or by early next week, and one is still available in this run. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Xtra said:

Unfortunately, there was a problem with the carbon material, and I will talk to the vendor tomorrow about a fix  :doh:.  I expect a two-week delay on the carbon in order to get a new batch delivered, and I will give an update after I talk to the vendor. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  The good news is that the black intakes are scheduled to be molded by the end of the week or by early next week, and one is still available in this run. 

Dratz! These things happen, lol

• Like 1

When I received to carbon it looked different from what my intake was made from. I did not like the finish or the color, it was unacceptable to me.  Anyway, I gave the vendor a call and I found out that they sent me the wrong material. It turns out that the carbon they sent me is not vacuum formable. Lucky, I have standards, or I would have tried to mold an intake that would have ended in a huge mess. My vendor is going to make us a run of the proper material next week and ship it out when it is done. They also are going to take back the other stuff. I apologize for the delay for those who ordered a carbon intake. The good news is if anyone else wants a carbon intake, I should be able to get it made in this run. :)

The original  carbon material is on the bottom the wrong stuff is on top. 

SIDE BY SIDE.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Xtra said:

When I received to carbon it looked different from what my intake was made from. I did not like the finish or the color, it was unacceptable to me.  Anyway, I gave the vendor a call and I found out that they sent me the wrong material. It turns out that the carbon they sent me is not vacuum formable. Lucky, I have standards, or I would have tried to mold an intake that would have ended in a huge mess. My vendor is going to make us a run of the proper material next week and ship it out when it is done. They also are going to take back the other stuff. I apologize for the delay for those who ordered a carbon intake. The good news is if anyone else wants a carbon intake, I should be able to get it made in this run. :)

The original  carbon material is on the bottom the wrong stuff is on top. 

SIDE BY SIDE.JPG

Oh wow, that would have sucked!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Duece McCracken said:

Oh wow, that would have sucked!

You bet, it would have sucked big time, but the vendor is cool and everything is good, it just cost some time.

I just found out that the good carbon material is custom made for another company that orders lots of it. We are lucky, as the vendor allows me to piggyback my tiny order on their huge order, and get the carbon fiber at the other company's bulk discount price.  B) 

• Like 2