Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

9 minutes ago, ImLivingOnTheEdge said:

I didn't read every post in this topic. But I read enough to know that you spent a lot of time designing this.  Any chance you might make an ST version?

Thanks ImLivingOnTheEdge, I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. I am going to concentrate on filling and shipping orders right now.  I do have some ideas for the future that may include something for the ST. Possibly by summer if things go smooth and as planned. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Thanks ImLivingOnTheEdge, I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. I am going to concentrate on filling and shipping orders right now.  I do have some ideas for the future that may include something for the ST. Possibly by summer if things go smooth and as planned. 

Of course I understand that you have your hands full as is. And I understood from this long thread that it was a lot of work.  So honestly, if you said, "ferget it, I'm done" I would understand. But, the fact that you have future plans are great.

It has been my understanding that the Sport and the ST are not really very different.  So I was surprised when you said it didn't fit the ST.  How much different is it, in the area we are talking about?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ImLivingOnTheEdge said:

Of course I understand that you have your hands full as is. And I understood from this long thread that it was a lot of work.  So honestly, if you said, "ferget it, I'm done" I would understand. But, the fact that you have future plans are great.

It has been my understanding that the Sport and the ST are not really very different.  So I was surprised when you said it didn't fit the ST.  How much different is it, in the area we are talking about?

lildisco volunteered his time and energy to confirm for us that the intake does not fit 2019, 2020, or 2021 Edges. The mounting holes do not line up,  the hood's rubber bump stops do not line up, and there is no way to modify it to fit. Ford made these changes starting in 2019.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Xtra said:

Because of all the questions that I have been receiving, and the fact that this is a long thread,  I feel I need to review some things. 

1. The intake only fits 2015 to 2018 Edges. It does not fit the ST or 2019 and later Edges. 

2. The carbon material is not solid carbon fiber. Solid carbon fiber is not thermoformable.  Therefore, I found a composite material that would work with the mold.

According to the manufacturer, It has a  thermoplastic base layer with a thin carbon-fiber layer laminated to it, then a clear gloss protective layer laminated over the carbon fiber giving that great look, exactly as in the video and photos. 

3. I have no control over the shipping cost, and I get individual quotes for each order.  I do not mark up the shipping, but I do round it off to the closest dollar.  

I hope that answers some questions. If anyone has questions I will be happy to answer them. :)

too bad you can't pin it inside this post so it appears on top whenever/wherever a member enters the thread.

• Like 1

I had a good start,  but now I am a bit behind on trimming the Black ABS intakes, please bear with me :worship: . I am doing the best I can considering the current circumstance. Believe me, I want to get them done ASAP and shipped.  I feel my reputation is on the line because of this delay and if you have been following this thread you know that I am a good worker bee. I hate this delay, as much as anyone, but it is out of my hands right now.  I apologize for the inconvenience and will resume work in a few days when I feel better. Best for me to stay away from power tools for a bit. LOL..

I am still taking orders for the next run that could happen as early as next week. One carbon intake has become available in that run, and there will always be  Black ABS intakes available as the material is in stock at the shop. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Xtra said:

I had a good start,  but now I am a bit behind on trimming the Black ABS intakes, please bear with me :worship: . I am doing the best I can considering the current circumstance. Believe me, I want to get them done ASAP and shipped.  I feel my reputation is on the line because of this delay and if you have been following this thread you know that I am a good worker bee. I hate this delay, as much as anyone, but it is out of my hands right now.  I apologize for the inconvenience and will resume work in a few days when I feel better. Best for me to stay away from power tools for a bit. LOL..

I am still taking orders for the next run that could happen as early as next week. One carbon intake has become available in that run, and there will always be  Black ABS intakes available as the material is in stock at the shop. 

No worries from me. This stuff takes time. Rather have it done right, than rushed. This is the beginning of your production, where small businesses work out the kinks. Anyone that expects it any other way is not familiar with how these ventures work. It's small, American manufacturing. I love seeing stuff like this, and enjoy watching it grow. It's what this country is all about.

Thank you for your time and effort, now get some rest, and feel better! It's all good brother!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Excuses, Excuses!  So you are asking us to hurry up and wait!  OMG that is just not cool!

?

?

?

Lol thanks I needed a good laugh. Geez I am such a dork. ??

Although I am not fit for work right now, I did  find out that the carbon fiber has been made and that they are shipping tomorrow. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was able to get out of bed today and mark the trim lines.  I  also managed to cut one of them out and get it ready for hand sanding and fitment, but it was too much for me, and I had to take a break.  I need more recoup time, I don't want to push too hard too soon. 

BLK ABS INTAKES.JPG

CUT ON OUTSIDE OF LINE AND SAND TO FIT. .JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Xtra said:

I was able to get out of bed today and mark the trim lines.  I  also managed to cut one of them out and get it ready for fitment, but it was too much for me, and I had to take a break.  I need more recoup time, I don't want to push too hard too soon. 

BLK ABS INTAKES.JPG

CUT ON OUTSIDE OF LINE AND SAND TO FIT. .JPG

You better get back in bed! Geez man, without your health, you have nothing.

Pure savage. Lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As you all know this is a homemade product and I do not have a huge company helping me with this project. It just came to my attention that there is a problem with fitment on 2015 FWD Sports. If you have ordered an intake from me and you have a 2015 FWD Sport or any of the 2015 models Edges there may be a problem with the hood latch. Please let me know so I can refund your money ASAP. I apologize for this,  I am learning as I go. When I check the parts catalog every 2015 through 2018 Edge uses the same sight shield and this intake is a replacement for that part.  Ford   FT4Z-16A238-A. This information came as a shock to me as they all use the same part and how it can fit on my car, but not another is a mystery right now. 

I have stated in the past that the holes are not aligned absolutely perfectly but they do line up well enough that all the clips go in, and the clips cover the holes, hold the part, and they do their job as designed. So that is not a problem.

If you have a 2015 Edge and you ordered one, please PM me for a refund. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience that this may cause. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xtra said:

As you all know this is a homemade product and I do not have a huge company helping me with this project. It just came to my attention that there is a problem with fitment on 2015 FWD Sports. If you have ordered an intake from me and you have a 2015 FWD Sport or any of the 2015 models Edges there may be a problem with the hood latch. Please let me know so I can refund your money ASAP. I apologize for this,  I am learning as I go. When I check the parts catalog every 2015 through 2018 Edge uses the same sight shield and this intake is a replacement for that part.  Ford   FT4Z-16A238-A. This information came as a shock to me as they all use the same part and how it can fit on my car, but not another is a mystery right now. 

I have stated in the past that the holes are not aligned absolutely perfectly but they do line up well enough that all the clips go in, and the clips cover the holes, hold the part, and they do their job as designed. So that is not a problem.

If you have a 2015 Edge and you ordered one, please PM me for a refund. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience that this may cause. 

Oh noes!!!

I am working on this and should have an answer soon. Because the mold is made of fiberglass it can be modified. So not all is lost, it is just unexpected. I still don't understand how it can fit on my car but not another. :shrug: 

Please do not compare it to the stock part,  the CAI sits higher than stock and I include longer rivet clips for the front 5 holes. It is not intended to lay flat, and the front edge of the intake sits different than stock by design. Also, it will not allow the hood to close unless you have installed all of the clips first. So if you just set it there and try to close the hood it will not work, it must be installed properly first. 

I am getting some help from a fellow forum member and hopefully together we can find out what is going on in the next few days. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

the carbon material is still in transit.
As for me around January 18 I got sick with the Covid. The news said one in three test positive in LA . That  was 9 days ago. The doc said I will be ok because it hasn’t got in my lungs and my fever is low at least two weeks are needed so according to the Doctor I got about 5 days to a week to go.that is  If everything stays on track. 

• Like 1

When I get better, I have decided to finish the black intakes first and ship them to see how they fit before molding the carbon  ones. The reason for this is that I have very tight tolerances to my cars hood. It has occurred to me that the hoods could be set  differently on each car. The hood has rubber bumper stoppers in the front to adjust the height. And the hood can be set forward or back a small amount to achieve the proper fit for each vehicle. Moving the hood just 1/8 inch back compared to where my hood is could be enough to cause interference with the intake. I hope that this is not true and just the thoughts  of a feverish  Covid mind. If it is true, it is easy enough to change the mold and loosen up the tolerances. The carbon material is too expensive to take chances with so I want to make sure the black ones fit before I mold the carbon  ones. 
Your patience and understanding in this matter is appreciated

• Thanks 1

I have survived Covid-19 and I feel like a wrung-out washrag. My strength is slowly coming back and I managed to do a little finish work on the one intake I cut out before I got sick. I will work a little each day, but not like I was before I got sick. I have to take it easy and not force anything. The good news is the carbon material came in today, but I am going to wait to mold them until I know that the mold does not need to be modified. The material is too expensive to take chances with.  If you have ordered a carbon intake your patience is appreciated.

IMG_6322.thumb.JPG.3ee90841dc722753635a05001e47bc2e.JPG

IMG_6323.thumb.JPG.c9bd8165b29174dc391a4fddc00bac1a.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Though I am not ready for a marathon yet, I surprised myself and managed to accomplish more than expected today.  I cut a few of the black ABS intakes out,  but they still require an hour or so each to drill, hand fit, and finish before shipping.  

IMG_6328.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Made a trip to Harbor Freight to pick up some tools and expendables to help with the finish work today. The new 4 X 36 inch belts work so much better, they should have been replaced long ago. 

tools .JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Update 02/04/21:

After rough cutting out 5 of the black ABS intakes, I began final fitting them to my car in the hope that they would ship tomorrow, Friday. . As I was testing each and every intake for fit and adjusting as necessary I discovered that there are some problems.

First, the tolerance is just too tight and the mold needs to be adjusted so that the intake will fit on other cars besides mine. It appears that the hood can be adjusted a little to achieve a proper fit when the cars are assembled at the factory. This minor adjustment is enough to cause interference with the CAI as no two cars are exactly alike. 

Second,  the mold is not transferring the rubber gasket line to the intake as well as I would like it to. (Check out the photos). This is causing the middle of the intake to be a little bit higher than wanted.  The line is clearly visible on the mold, but not on the intake.

Both of these problems can be fixed with a little work & TLC on the mold

I picked up the mold from the shop today and will begin working on V2 of the intake tomorrow.  I had to eat 500 bucks and a bunch of time and work as these first few intakes are not up to my standards. 

I have stopped taking new orders at this time until I can get these problems sorted, the first few intakes shipped, and get some feedback on their fitment.

This project has been full of surprises, challenges, and setbacks from the very start. Why would I think it would be any different now?  One thing for sure, when everything is done and working as designed I will be a very happy camper.

INTAKE MOLD.JPG

INTAKE DETAIL.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 1