Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

On 1/17/2021 at 9:40 PM, Xtra said:

lildisco volunteered his time and energy to confirm for us that the intake does not fit 2019, 2020, or 2021 Edges. The mounting holes do not line up,  the hood's rubber bump stops do not line up, and there is no way to modify it to fit. Ford made these changes starting in 2019.  

Thanks for the clarification of the issues.  I hope some day you will be able to make a product for the newer models.  Thanks for your time, I can see you are working hard for the community.

• Like 1

I would like to give props to Duece McCracken for the photos he sent me as they helped a lot, and answered questions for me about the 2015 intake fitment. Armed with this new info, I believe that there will be no more problems with the 2015s. Now work can begin. 

After a meeting with the plastic shop, I have a lot more to do than originally thought. This first cut I made is at the request of the shop to help release the intake from the mold. I will give updates as I progress :camera:

On a personal note, I am making a lot of nasty fiberglass dust, and once again I am not allowed in the house with my dusty clothing, and we don't have a mudroom to change in. LOL  

FIRST CUT.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Xtra said:

I would like to give props to Duece McCracken for the photos he sent me as they helped a lot, and answered questions for me about the 2015 intake fitment. Armed with this new info, I believe that there will be no more problems with the 2015s. Now work can now begin. 

After a meeting with the plastic shop, I have a lot more to do than originally thought. This first cut I made is at the request of the shop to help release the intake from the mold. I will give updates as I progress :camera:

On a personal note, I am making a lot of nasty fiberglass dust, and once again I am not allowed in the house with my dusty clothing, and we don't have a mudroom to change in. LOL  

FIRST CUT.JPG

Sounds like Tyvex suits are in your future, lol!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

Good idea , It could do double duty . Protecting me from the fiberglass dust and when I go out in public. Who need a mask when you have a full Tyvex suit   ?

Sad thing, is that you probably won't be the only person in public, rocking one. Saw someone yesterday full PPE and booties. Boot condoms. Makes sense if immuno compromised, if not though, tinfoil hat. Sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today I did some more work that the shop requested.

In the first photo, you can see the straight sides of the hole.  The shop requested that they be tapered some so that the intake would release easier from the mold. The second photo shows the completed mod. 

IMG_6457.JPG

Little things like this help. 

IMG_6461.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I machined down all 12 of the hole marker screws as much as possible. Even though I had turned them down once before, and it was a huge improvement,  the smaller the better. 

SMALL SCREWS .JPG

Because of all the contours, hand sanding is the way to go.

HAND SAND.JPG

I Swiss Cheesed one of the intakes to measure how much material was being removed from the mold.  

measure .JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Had to go to the hardware store for more sandpaper today, and work continues. 

I have removed approximately  .125 of an inch so far and will take it down some more to account for the thickness of the finish coat. The Swiss Cheese intake has proved to be very useful in keeping track of progress. 

SANDING TO SHAPE .JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Underneath the nice white finish coat, I discovered that some hairline cracks have formed in the mold. This proves that the mold will have a short life as I originally thought. I believe that it will survive long enough to complete all the orders and a few more beyond that, so no worries, but it is far from permanent.

cracks1.jpg

cracks 2.jpg

cracks3 .jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 1

I have added 6 very small vacuum holes along the gasket line to help pull the material into critical areas of the intake. This should help with defining the gasket line and help  the overall fit. 

new vacuum holes.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I moved the gasket line back .25 inch to match the work I had done on the upper part of the intake. A 1/4 inch may not sound like much but in this case, it is a lot.  I hope that 1/4 inch is enough to accommodate any differences in hood alignment. I also had to fill in the old screw holes because of the new smaller heads on the marker screws.  I put in long screws and glassed-in around them, then I will pull the screws when the glass hardens and sand flush.

OLD SCREW HOLES.JPG

GASKET LINE AND SCREWS.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Checking the hood's rubber bumper hole alignment.  I cut up the OEM sight shield some more to make sure of the alignment. As far as I can tell it is spot on even though the mold holes are a bit smaller than the OEM holes. There are different sizes of the rubber bumpers and they are much smaller on the 2015 Edge than on the 2016. When a CAI was placed on a 2015 Edge the rubber bumpers did not fill up the holes as nice as on my 2016 Sport and did not center up, even though they still fit in the holes.   Not sure how to fix that. 

ALIGN BUMPER HOLES.jpg

RT. BUMPER HOLE.jpg

LF. BUMPER HOLE.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

2015 VS 2016

This intake is on a 2015 and has a wrap.  It is not pushed down over the bumpers or seated correctly with clips. The bumpers do move a little so it does fit, they are just off-center. When the intake is pushed over the bumpers it is not as bad as in this photo. The offset is divided between the two holes and not just the one as in the photo. These  are the only photos I have to work with. 

CAI-1.jpg         

CAI-3.jpg

Below is my CF intake installed on my 2016 Sport. You can see the different size of the bumpers  compared to the 2015, and how they are a good fit. You do not just drop the intake into place, it has to be wiggled over the rubber bumpers as it is a tight fit to keep as much engine bay hot air out as possible. 

2016 Rjpg.jpg

2016 L.jpg

I am not sure how to correct this discrepancy between the 2015 and the 2016 Edge.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I wish to remind everyone that this is a one man backyard project.
The engine compartment was not scanned. 

And that scan  given to another company to develop the intake on a cad computer 

Then another engineer to take the cad drawings and make 5 axis mill CNC  programs . Then actually CNC a pressure injection mold that is accurate to . 001 inch.. like a factory part.
To develop the intake  to that level tens of thousands of dollars would be needed. This is a low volume custom part that does not justify such a large investment.  It is accurate enough to fit, look good, and work as designed for a lucky few enthusiasts. 
A one man project that is not accurate to .01 inch ( closer to .1 inch ) and is not Ford factory perfect. If you have a 2015 with the small rubber bumpers and you want them to be perfectly centered then I am afraid I cannot fix that and keep the tight fit on the 2016,17 and 18s. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Xtra said:

I wish to remind everyone that this is a one man backyard project.
The engine compartment was not scanned. 

And that scan  given to another company to develop the intake on a cad computer 

Then another engineer to take the cad drawings and make 5 axis mill CNC  programs . Then actually CNC a pressure injection mold that is accurate to . 001 inch.. like a factory part.
To develop the intake  to that level tens of thousands of dollars would be needed. This is a low volume custom part that does not justify such a large investment.  It is accurate enough to fit, look good, and work as designed for a lucky few enthusiasts. 
A one man project that is not accurate to .01 inch and is not Ford factory perfect. If you have a 2015 with the small rubber bumpers and you want them to be perfectly centered then I am afraid I cannot fix that and keep the tight fit on the 2016,17 and 18s. 

No worries, I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

. this might wind up with more hours in it that it would take to bore, hone, and stroke an engine lol.

It has gone way beyond that. I cannot even begin to count the hours. It is in the hundreds. I have to rebuild the entire wood part next. The shop has requested that it should be narrowed down and shorter. Apparently when using a 2x4 ft sheet of material  there’s just barely enough to clamp to making  it difficult to work with. Having the large sheets cut to 2x4 ft gives 4 intakes per sheet. So rather than only getting 3 intakes from a sheet and the cost per unit goes up , I must rebuild the wood base . 

• Like 1