Custom Exhaust on my Sport

Mikula

For anyone ever interested in sound deadening, I wouldn't do anything else except from the guy at Sound Deadener Showdown. Easily the best stuff on the market by far. It turned a fox body mustang drag car into a silent death trap. Pretty amazed at what that stuff can do.

Never heard of them, sounds like I'm going to have to check them out..... no pun intended.

That doesn't make me feel much better about the straight through mufflers i'm going to weld on. That is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing. I didn't realize you weren't running the stock suitcase muffler back there. My drive to work is on a toll road in texas where the speed limit is 85. That puts my rpm right in the poop zone! 22 miles on that stretch at 7am is miserable on my ears. Around town it doesn't bother me, as like you said, downshifting works to get out of it. anything up a slight hill... yuck.

At most highway speeds I have no problem it is at slower speeds under load. The sound deadening material may be the answer. I will have to reevaluate after the tips are installed.

I can confirm as well, I used 2 Borla mufflers welded in the same spots as the MRT system. I get a highway drone around 60 mph. Only way to get rid of it is to downshift. I like the sound otherwise.

As you might know I have the MRT axle back system and I also get a drone in the cabin in the 1100 to 2500 rpm range and it can be uncomfortably loud. It is more noticeable under light loads, like in traffic up even a small rise. To quiet it out I have to down shift or accelerate out of that RPM range. The noise fills the cabin and I am not sure of where it is coming from or how to overcome it. This is one of the reasons for the quad tips besides looking good. To help move the exhaust completely out the back of the car, not under it like with the stock bezel. It sounds like a resonate frequency to me.

• Like 1

In this one photo you can see a H&R Blue Coil Spring, the MRT Axel Back Muffler and the mods to the exhaust pipe for the new Duel Flowmaster Tip . You can also see where the clips were cut away that held the stock chrome bezel. And last but not least new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires.

It was raining and dark when I picked up the car so I only have the one photo, I will post More photos and give a report when the sun decides to shine and I can test it out, so far I like the sound and looks of it.
post-46130-0-20623500-1520063687_thumb.jpg
Edited by Xtra

On 3/3/2018 at 8:20 AM, Mikula said:

did the tips actually help with sound? I don't have a before/after for obvious reasons, but just curious in your case.

Yes it is quieter in the cabin over all as now the sound is exiting out beyond the bumper instead of under it. I drove hard today so I did not have the drone happen yet. I will have to get some passengers in it and take a road trip to see if the drone is gone. But overall It is an twofold improvement, custom looks and better sound.

Edited by Xtra

those look fine in there! sure 3.5" would fill it more but those certainly don't look too small. I'm sure nick would disagree though. I think he's putting 4- 5 gallon buckets for quad tips back there.

:hysterical: :hysterical: KIds around here put a single huge 5 or 6 inch fart can on their ricers, but a 5 gallon bucket... Lol :)

Just looks better with all the void filled in imo

Now I see what you are talking about filling up the space does look good in the photo. And when I look at my 3 inch in comparison they look small. For my taste a 3.5 would have been plenty. But while my car was in the shop another guy had 4 inch quad tips installed on his car, it was not a Edge. They were the ones with the blue tip fade on them and they looked awesome. They fit perfect and made his car look bad ass aggressive. When I saw those tips on his car it had me rethinking mine. I am happy with mine and now others have different combos to look at if they are considering quad tips. Mine at 3 inch , Mikula at 3.5 inch and yours will be the largest yet at ??? It will be cool to see what you come up with. I am sure it will look great when finished because no matter what size you pick, quad tips are a cool upgrade. :2thumbs:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

They were the ones with the blue tip fade on them and they looked awesome. They fit perfect and made his car look bad ass aggressive. When I saw those tips on his car it had me rethinking mine. I

I was originally going to get the burnt blue tips, but with stainless you can actually do it yourself with a good torch. Then I saw them on a civic. The stainless tips are really noticeable and stand out on the road. those blue tips just look dirty when you see them cruising down the road, but they do look really good close up. My thoughts, anyway.

Confirmed the tips have for the most part killed the drone in the cabin, the ride is much quieter now.

As you saw in my other post with the rear seat delete, I didn't realize how much of the drone was caused basically because the seats were out and the sound didn't have any place to be absorbed. I cut out probably 50% or more of the exhaust drone by adding some foam sound isolation panels in the spare tire area, and under my seat delete. It made a big enough difference that I may actually leave this custom exhaust on after all. I do have the straight through mufflers waiting for me to get under there and weld them on, but I'm debating on using them since that simple bit of foam did a good job for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

After installing mufflers (Magnaflow 10416) it sounds EXACTLY how I wanted it to. It sounds the same at idle and wide open throttle as it did before the muffler install, and now the in-cabin drone has been significantly reduced! at 80mph on the highway, the exhaust is quieter than wind/road noise, but you can definitely hear the exhaust note. However it is no longer:

1) Bone rattling

2) that ugly frequency

what a relief. If anyone takes this project on, I recommend both a resonator, and mufflers. You'll be happy.

Edited by Mikula
  • Like 4