Jump to content
omar302

RDS on the instrument panel right screen?

Recommended Posts

I don't get RDS (Radio Data System) information on the instrument cluster's right screen. RDS only shows on the 8" center display.

Is that normal or do US Edges get RDS in the instrument cluster like the older Gen1.5?

Edited by omar302

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my Gen-1, 2009 MKX I get RBDS (think that's what you're referring to) when it's turned on, on the radio display. Can't speak to Gen-1.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RDS is the radio information that is displayed on some FM radio stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. On the 09 MKX they referred to it as the Radio Broadcast Data System. They must have decided to rename it in the Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. On the 09 MKX they referred to it as the Radio Broadcast Data System. They must have decided to rename it in the Edge.

It’s probably just a different name in the Middle East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RBDS is the American superset of the more generic RDS system. The RBDS standard encompasses the features of RDS and adds some extra things (e.g. provisions for the emergency broadcast system and use on the AM band) along with some differences in encoding such as some different PTY (program type) classifications.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone with a 2015-2018 Edge confirm if they get the Radio Data information on the right screen of the instrument cluster? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this while the center display is showing the radio channel info? 

2 hours ago, lildisco said:

All i get 

1547853147015856277455266270408.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe then my IPC needs updated software!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be a HD Radio thing. I've never heard 1 in my area. I know that they're around, just i live so far from a major city that i don't think i get good reception. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living far from a city is why you haven't seen any HD Radio stations - they're all or nothing.  HD Radio is a digital broadcast so there's no fading or hiss like traditional FM when you are at the edge of the reception area... it will simply cut out altogether when the signal becomes too weak to process. 

 

HD Radio does allow additional metadata to be broadcast compared to RDS.  It is not uncommon to have album art along with artist, title and track information displayed when listening to an HD Radio broadcast.

 

BTW, the HD in HD Radio doesn't mean High Definition as one would expect.  It's simply a brand name and there is no improvement in sound quality other than the fact being digital reduces background noise.  The bandwidth available for the digital signal could have been used to broadcast higher quality sound but North American broadcasters chose to use the extra bandwidth to provide additional channels instead.  So you're really not really missing much.

 

HD Radio is not commonly used outside North America.  The similar DAB and DAB+ systems are used in most of Europe and a few other countries around the world.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 9:05 PM, omar302 said:

Maybe then my IPC needs updated software!

 

Hi,

have you got it working?

 

Mine 2018 Edge was showing RDS there up until some point and then, well it doesnt work anymore! I dont know what was it related to , either to SYNC 3 update, which is unlikely or maybe to some Forscan mods I've done...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, redden18 said:

 

Hi,

have you got it working?

 

Mine 2018 Edge was showing RDS there up until some point and then, well it doesnt work anymore! I dont know what was it related to , either to SYNC 3 update, which is unlikely or maybe to some Forscan mods I've done...

 

No. Didn't get it yet. I think I need to update the Firmware on my IPC as it seems 2017/2018 models are different. Try to "Master Reset" the Sync3 and see if it helps. Does the RDS info still show in Sync3? if not, maybe it is turned off in the radio settings. (Sync2 does have a RDS On/Off setting, not sure of Sync3).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 10:47 PM, omar302 said:

 

No. Didn't get it yet. I think I need to update the Firmware on my IPC as it seems 2017/2018 models are different. Try to "Master Reset" the Sync3 and see if it helps. Does the RDS info still show in Sync3? if not, maybe it is turned off in the radio settings. (Sync2 does have a RDS On/Off setting, not sure of Sync3).

 

RDS is on in the settings and it does display info on the main unit, but not on IPC screen. I know its working for sure, because mine '12 Explorer with SYNC 2 displays RDS just fine on right IPC screen.

Edited by redden18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, can't help. Although on my previous 2011 MKX, RDS did not work (on IPC & main display) when the ACM ABD was set to my region to show all radio frequencies. Setting ACM tuner region to US would make RDS show on both screens but would lose even frequencies. With the 2016 Edge the ACM tuner region doesn't affect RDS.

 

On the other hand, I did notice in some pictures that 2017+ models show distance to Empty in the yellow box low fuel warning (as did my 2011), but my 2016 doesn't. Hence I was convinced the firmware is different.

 

What ForScan have you done recently? Maybe it did have an effect.

Edited by omar302

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 12:44 AM, omar302 said:

Sorry, can't help. Although on my previous 2011 MKX, RDS did not work (on IPC & main display) when the ACM ABD was set to my region to show all radio frequencies. Setting ACM tuner region to US would make RDS show on both screens but would lose even frequencies. With the 2016 Edge the ACM tuner region doesn't affect RDS.

 

On the other hand, I did notice in some pictures that 2017+ models show distance to Empty in the yellow box low fuel warning (as did my 2011), but my 2016 doesn't. Hence I was convinced the firmware is different.

 

What ForScan have you done recently? Maybe it did have an effect.

 

I've enabled Nav-in-motion changing region to 5753, I'll do some testing changing it back to Canada's and report it back.

My 12 Explorer with SYNC 2 has nav-in-motion enabled and yet RDS is there. SYNC 2 and SYNC 3 are different beasts though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed region back to Canada, 4341. Performed hard reset - nothing. I'll leave it for a while to see if anything changes after multiple restarts.

 

Here is my strategies:

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: JR3T-14G371-CED (latest known: JR3T-14G371-CJD)
Strategy : HB5T-14G374-CA
Calibration: HB5T-14G375-CA

 

ACM - Audio Control Module
Part number: FT4T-19C107-HE (latest known: FT4T-19C107-HF)
Strategy : FT4T-14D099-HE
Calibration: FT4T-14D100-HB

 

 

IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module
Part number: GT4T-10849-DC
Strategy : GT4T-14C026-CB
Calibration: GT4T-14C088-CB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 2:44 AM, redden18 said:

Changed region back to Canada, 4341. Performed hard reset - nothing. I'll leave it for a while to see if anything changes after multiple restarts.

 

Here is my strategies:

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: JR3T-14G371-CED (latest known: JR3T-14G371-CJD)
Strategy : HB5T-14G374-CA
Calibration: HB5T-14G375-CA

 

ACM - Audio Control Module
Part number: FT4T-19C107-HE (latest known: FT4T-19C107-HF)
Strategy : FT4T-14D099-HE
Calibration: FT4T-14D100-HB

 

 

IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module
Part number: GT4T-10849-DC
Strategy : GT4T-14C026-CB
Calibration: GT4T-14C088-CB

 

 

Please do update what happens. These are my numbers, though mine is a 2016 and with Sync2 (MyFord Touch). I noticed the IPC strategy & calibration are the same as yours, shouldn't this mean they have the same firmware/software? When you get the low fuel yellow box warning, do you also get the DTE in the box? Mine doesn't though I noticed newer models do.

 

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Bus: HSCAN
Part number: ES7T-14D212-FA (latest known: ES7T-14D212-FA)
Strategy : EM5T-14D205-AD

 

 

ACM - Audio Control Module
Bus: HSCAN3
Part number: FT4T-19C107-JD (latest known: FT4T-19C107-JF)
Strategy : FT4T-14D099-JD
Calibration: FT4T-14D100-JA

 

 

IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module
Bus: HSCAN3
Part number: GT4T-10849-DB (latest known: GT4T-10849-DC)
Strategy : GT4T-14C026-CB
Calibration: GT4T-14C088-CB

IMG_20200406_070455~2.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-224801~2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, omar302 said:

 

Please do update what happens. These are my numbers, though mine is a 2016 and with Sync2 (MyFord Touch). I noticed the IPC strategy & calibration are the same as yours, shouldn't this mean they have the same firmware/software? When you get the low fuel yellow box warning, do you also get the DTE in the box? Mine doesn't though I noticed newer models do.

 

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Bus: HSCAN
Part number: ES7T-14D212-FA (latest known: ES7T-14D212-FA)
Strategy : EM5T-14D205-AD

 

 

ACM - Audio Control Module
Bus: HSCAN3
Part number: FT4T-19C107-JD (latest known: FT4T-19C107-JF)
Strategy : FT4T-14D099-JD
Calibration: FT4T-14D100-JA

 

 

IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module
Bus: HSCAN3
Part number: GT4T-10849-DB (latest known: GT4T-10849-DC)
Strategy : GT4T-14C026-CB
Calibration: GT4T-14C088-CB

IMG_20200406_070455~2.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-224801~2.jpg

I tested with changed region - no effect, still no RDS on IPC. Mine shows DTE in the box along with telltale.

More likely, we have identical ACM and IPC, but firmware might be slightly different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×