G2 Edge Sport Catch Can

Xtra

To prove the Catch Can is not necessary we would need to pull the heads and evaluate it on a car with high miles that has not had a catch can.

Why would you go through the trouble of pulling the heads instead of just the intake manifold to do an analysis/validation of the coking issue?

Pulling the heads will only show you the valve faces which will not provide any coking evidence, they'll look normal for a direct injected turbo charged engine.

Pulling the intake manifold, which for this car is much easier, will provide you with what you need to see... :detective:

QUIZ TIME: Which is???

No SpecialK, you are not allowed to participate in this quiz... :doh:

Edited by snmjim

Not a 2.7EB motor but a Ford Ecoboost motor at that, just recently did a separator setup for this 2015 Fusion 2.0 EB(direct injected), 40k miles.

To get to the PCV valve you have to remove the intake manifold, which allowed us to inspect the intake valves...

Think a catch can is worth it here? The can's may not stop this completely from happening, but it'll slow the process down.

post-50477-0-91939300-1529515777_thumb.jpg

post-50477-0-50814200-1529515841_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinny@JLT
  • Like 4

Or take off the throttle body and use a bore scope ;-)

You stole my idea asshat...lol... :cry::swear::gaah:

I'll go you one better...why even bother removing the throttle body when you can actuate the throttle plate to the open position and pass the bore scope straight in...BOOYA!!!... :finger::spiteful:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not a 2.7EB motor but a Ford Ecoboost motor at that, just recently did a separator setup for this 2015 Fusion 2.0 EB(direct injected), 40k miles.

To get to the PCV valve you have to remove the intake manifold, which allowed us to inspect the intake valves...

Think a catch can is worth it here? The can's may not stop this completely from happening, but it'll slow the process down.

How was the engine running? I guess I'm indirectly asking how much build-up must occur before engine performance is affected. (I installed a JLT at 8,000 miles)

Edited by NoDTMF

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a bit of devils advocate here. I'm not an engine guy but when I read someone write about a catch can being illegal in CA., which I wasn't aware of, and no one explains why that would be a lot gets explained about what I'm reading. Maybe it has something to do with the PCV valve? No one has addressed why catch can's are recommended for the track and an AOS is recommended for the street. Could it have anything to do with the PCV valve? Probably a good question to be able to answer.

@lildisco, Catch cans are climate\weather sensitive which may explain your seasonal differences. Along with this climate sensitivity they collect moisture which the can does not capture and goes to the intake.

Maybe a bit of devils advocate here. I'm not an engine guy but when I read someone write about a catch can being illegal in CA., which I wasn't aware of, and no one explains why that would be a lot gets explained about what I'm reading. Maybe it has something to do with the PCV valve? No one has addressed why catch can's are recommended for the track and an AOS is recommended for the street. Could it have anything to do with the PCV valve? Probably a good question to be able to answer.

@lildisco, Catch cans are climate\weather sensitive which may explain your seasonal differences. Along with this climate sensitivity they collect moisture which the can does not capture and goes to the intake.

I can't answer for the CA owners however, I can differ this to Xtra (knowledgeable FEF CA owner) in addition to providing you with what facts I know in addition to recommending you contact the SME Vinny (JLT) 757-335-1940.

Also recommend you go back through and read this entire topic string of which some of your questions will be answered... :thumbsup:

CA is extremely stringent about their emissions laws especially when it comes to where the PCV fumes vent. However, I do challenge the catch can issue because it's simply separating & containing the oil & some moisture from the crankcase gasses.

Catch cans are not just recommended specifically for the track but more for anyone who wants to reduce/mitigate the coking of their intake valves caused by the burning of the oily PCV fumes over the course of time which eventually impedes performance & gas mileage.

It is a fact that catch cans collect more moisture mixed oil during the cooler weather due to excessive condensation build up during start & warm up, hence the collected oil is milky in appearance due to the mix of oil & water.

More details are provided on the last two paragraphs in the this topic string... :hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim

snmjim,

Will they be answered? When I have a choice between existing research from people with no skin in the game and marketing hype from someone with skin in the game I do have to admit I have a bias.

Only you can determine if your questions are answered.

As do SpecialK & I of which neither of us, as stated multiple times throughout FEF that we do NOT receive any benefits from vendors aside from our R&D agreements.

However, when independent (i.e. snmjim & SpecialK aka JC Performance Developers) R&D results/data support the vendor's claims that is about as validated as you can get.

FYI, in no way does our FEF contributions correlate to our professions, it doesn't pay...but engineering for DHS does... :hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim

Ariel, Mercedes, AMG, Koenigsegg, if you're intent on measuring. Answer this, why does carbon build up on the valves?

I'm done,

SpecialK & I are not here to compete or butt heads but to share our expertise to help the community.

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2