G2 Edge Sport Catch Can

Xtra

I haven't see a detailed explanation showing how the JLT can works to compare it to the other manufacturers detailed animated graphics/schematics - JLT don't really explain the true workings of their system on their web site.

Haven't heard of any upset owners of the more expensive systems.

This JLT one has perked my interest, but I'll not be spending any money on it until the operating reviews or good, or detailed explanation convinces me that it actually works as they have it configured on the Edge Sport.

I purchased mine today from JLT. I'm positive it will do what it is supposed to. I can also say, that without testing both, it will be near impossible to compare with anything else. There won't really be any way to know what you're not catching in there. Weather, and driving habits seem to be a factor in how much junk they catch as well.

Overall, catching something is better than catching nothing, and as howie stated (and it sort of makes sense to me) on this type of vehicle, catching from 1 side will do the job for this application.

• Like 1

I purchased mine today from JLT. I'm positive it will do what it is supposed to. I can also say, that without testing both, it will be near impossible to compare with anything else. There won't really be any way to know what you're not catching in there. Weather, and driving habits seem to be a factor in how much junk they catch as well.

Overall, catching something is better than catching nothing, and as howie stated (and it sort of makes sense to me) on this type of vehicle, catching from 1 side will do the job for this application.

What is it that gives this confidence to say that you're positive that its going to work, when we haven't seen a decent engineering explanation on how it is intended to work on our particular engine?

Can you explain why catching from only one side is adequate vs the other manufacturers?

There seems to be many caveats for why we should not be surprised if it doesn't work.

• Like 1

Could you please take the time to provide the group cold hard facts about the systems and explain your opinion as to why the different systems will not perform in different ways??

• Like 1

not cold hard ones, but how about warm soft ones?

Most people that have installed catch cans (and I'm referring to F150, Mustang, and Fusion Sport owners) have only found oil in the passenger side catch can. It would seem that over 95% of the oil caught, is only being caught on the passenger side. therefore there should be no need for the added cost associated with adding a driver side can, or tubing. Now in our case, there is only one catch can, with inlets from passenger and driver side. however in some independent (person, not company) testing, using a clear tube to ventilate the driver side has shown no residual oil in the tubing after 8k miles, leading me to believe that there is no need to add a 2nd can, or pay for the extra ventilation from that side.

Why does it only catch oil on the passenger side? My guess is it is probably design related, but physics can sum it up easiest. The built up pressure in the crankcase has to go somewhere. The path of least resistance. It has been observed, that in our 2.7l engines, the path of least resistance tends to be the passenger side PCV.

The argument is, I would assume, that in order to be "safe" you should ventilate both sides into a catch can. but real world testing has shown its just not necessary with these motors. take that with a grain of salt, as changing your oil at 3k miles isn't necessary, but you bet your buns I change it at 3k miles.

Excessive boost could cause both sides of the pcv to be venting. It is a fact the boost levels affect blow by, as well as the type of oil you use. Not many of us are using an excessive amount of boost, even with these tunes. Synthetic oils fare better at reducing blow by also.

If you are constantly in boost, it may be a good idea to pay the extra money to have both sides ventilated to the can. will it catch anything? yet to be determined.

as far as "am I positive it is going to work"... I'm positive it is going to catch oil. I have issues with blow by. I have taken off the intake tube leading to the throttle body and found evidence. I have removed the tube from the back side of the BOV and found the same thing.

Will it catch all the oil? Time will tell. I will be removing parts periodically to check for blow by, and will post results as they come up.

Will it be as good as the other designs? It seems that the type of filter or "screen" on the inside of these catch cans does relate to effectiveness. JLT has revised their screen and reviews are showing good results with the new design. Past experience has shown good results with people sticking steel wool inside a generic cheapo catch can, so is it really worth all that engineering? I sure don't have the knowledge to answer that.

I hope i at least answered 1 of your questions.. maybe I even tackled all of them. Hell, I don't claim to know it all, but I try to research all I can to come up with an informed decision. especially because (as I've said multiple times) I'm a cheapo

Informative response, not as funny but better.

The RXP can only pulls oil from the foul side (rear). In that sense it is no different then a traditional can. It has a seperate filter for the clean side (front) but that isnt a can, nor connected to the can, just a steel wool bundle in a mushroom cap wth its own vacuum line to the air box.

From my understanding, the rxp design (can itself) differs in two ways from a traditional catch can:

a. It has an additional vacuum line from the turbo inlet.

b. It has a different chamber system (I admit I havent seen a cross section to confirm this).

I am in agreement that any catch can is better than nothing. This video review of the RXP pushed me in favor of the system and the reviewer was only using one side of the can for vacuum:

When I purchased my vehicle (only two months ago) I found the lowest mileage used sport I could find to take advantage of the initial depreciation, certified warranty, certified financing offers, and have minimal abuse to the PTU and coking of the intake valves. This is my daily driver which I put 25000 miles a year on and maintenance is more important to me than performance upgrades. I chose to get the best can I could within reason and to me the RXP appears to be that ($450 vs $150). I admit it the price jump did make me question it but if it was anymore I probably would have went an alternate route. The JLT option was not available at the time and I may have considered that but it seems no different than a regular can.

I look forward to seeing the results from my test and comparing it with the JLT catch can results. With the understanding that everyones driving style is different and we are running the test in two different parts of the country, If they are both pulling roughly the same volume of oil then it does not really make sense to spend the extra on the RXP and atleast future forum members/lurkers will know to save the added cost. I have heard the cans do not pull as much in the summer so I would like to have results for both seasons.

Anyone know where I can get some good measuring cups/graduated cylinders locally?

Edited by Randhj

I hope i at least answered 1 of your questions..

Nope, you haven't answered any of the legitimate questions, all you did was add to the list of assumptions trying to sell them as facts, and judging from the forum Moderators action, this is unlikely the first time.

• Like 1

I was going to post the exact same thing. you must have read my mind.

JLT for me, good enough.

Informative response, not as funny but better.

Oh no.. you're on to me, aren't you?

I was going to post the exact same thing. you must have read my mind.

I've been undecided regarding a catch can from a few months before I purchased my 2017 Sport in March last year, and also undecided on which brand to use, and these posts have made me lean more towards the $500 kits, because they'd be far more value than a $140 kit that does not perform.

1004ron,

I couldn't convince myself to get the RXP and spend that kind of money for a catch can. I prefer build quality in most cases over price like getting the better IC which I can convince myself it's a better buy. I don't have a catch can system on my 03 Cobra engine yet and RXP would be more of a likely choose for that.

I think here in a few months we'll have a good group with cans on and report back our findings.

I've been undecided regarding a catch can from a few months before I purchased my 2017 Sport in March last year, and also undecided on which brand to use, and these posts have made me lean more towards the $500 kits, because they'd be far more value than a $140 kit that does not perfo

The RXP can only pulls oil from the foul side (rear). In that sense it is no different then a traditional can. It has a seperate filter for the clean side (front) but that isnt a can, nor connected to the can, just a steel wool bundle in a mushroom cap wth its own vacuum line to the air box.

From my understanding, the rxp design (can itself) differs in two ways from a traditional catch can:

b. It has a different chamber system (I admit I havent seen a cross section to confirm this).

I am in agreement that any catch can is better than nothing. This video review of the RXP pushed me in favor of the system and the reviewer was only using one side of the can for vacuum:

When I purchased my vehicle (only two months ago) I found the lowest mileage used sport I could find to take advantage of the initial depreciation, certified warranty, certified financing offers, and have minimal abuse to the PTU and coking of the intake valves. This is my daily driver which I put 25000 miles a year on and maintenance is more important to me than performance upgrades. I chose to get the best can I could within reason and to me the RXP appears to be that ($450 vs $150). I admit it the price jump did make me question it but if it was anymore I probably would have went an alternate route. The JLT option was not available at the time and I may have considered that but it seems no different than a regular can.

I look forward to seeing the results from my test and comparing it with the JLT catch can results. With the understanding that everyones driving style is different and we are running the test in two different parts of the country, If they are both pulling roughly the same volume of oil then it does not really make sense to spend the extra on the RXP and atleast future forum members/lurkers will know to save the added cost. I have heard the cans do not pull as much in the summer so I would like to have results for both seasons.

Anyone know where I can get some good measuring cups/graduated cylinders locally?

If the JLT was available at the time you bought the RXP would you have purchased the RXP over the JLT with what you know now?

If the JLT was available at the time you bought the RXP would you have purchased the RXP over the JLT with what you know now?

At this point I would still purchase the RXP kit. I am hoping that some of the users purchasing the JLT kit will post results after several thousand miles of testing as I will, so we can compare and see which one is better for our application. If from these results the JLT is performing roughly equal to the RXP or significantly better than the RXP, of course I would choose the JLT alternative.

Contact Vinny at JLT Perf (757-335-1940 x107) for catch can specifics, he's great to talk to.

However to Sum up what he educated me on is as follows:

- The Team RXP Sys is high quality but over kill for our applications & lvl of use.

- The clean side only catches little if any when in sustained high boost via a check valve

Hopefully these facts helped, courtesy of JC Perf Dvlp (SnMJim & SpecialK)...ding dong the witch is dead sings the village...thnx Allen...;-)

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

& the Team RXP continues to catch oil/gunk in boost & in vacuum

Letting the 5% go by & not worry about the other side doesn't seem right to me. The purpose of a catch can is to catch blow by. Just because 1 side produces more than the other is irrelevant. You want to prevent all that junk from entering the intake manifold that can cause coking & other bad side effects,regardless of what side it's on.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

I have both systems. JLT on my blown F150 and the RXP on the Edge. Both get the job done. Ive had the PD blower off of the F150 a couple times since installing the JLT system and there is no oil inside the inlet or intake runners. The only down side to the JLT kit is the size I normally drain them at about 2,500 miles. The RXP can will last the 5,000 mile oil change and normally pulls about 8oz of oil and condensation.

• Like 1

I have both systems. JLT on my blown F150 and the RXP on the Edge. Both get the job done. Ive had the PD blower off of the F150 a couple times since installing the JLT system and there is no oil inside the inlet or intake runners. The only down side to the JLT kit is the size I normally drain them at about 2,500 miles. The RXP can will last the 5,000 mile oil change and normally pulls about 8oz of oil and condensation.

Have you measured the volume of fluid collected for each application? Not a great test since these are two completely different motors but if nothing else we will have another data point for the RXP edge application.

Side note: use to have a 2002 Harley f150 with factory supercharger. One of my favorite vehicles.

Outstanding test & evaluation... :hat_tip:

You should definitely have a full understanding of the catch can system after viewing this video... :clapping:

Great find... :2thumbs:

Hey everybody,

I just finished a post to end all posts concerning the JLT oil can install, however since I am a weener I don't know how to attach the images. Can someone give me some guidance so I can upload and post?

Many cheers and thanks.

Howie

Hey everybody,

I just finished a post to end all posts concerning the JLT oil can install, however since I am a weener I don't know how to attach the images. Can someone give me some guidance so I can upload and post?

Many cheers and thanks.

Howie

Hey there Howie,

I'm not the Pic embed expert & have no clue how 2 embed Pics N specific parts of your paragraphs but I do know how 2 embed all Pics at the bottom of your post.

Use the "More Reply Options" for new posts and "Use Full Editor" for editing existing posts and you should see at the bottom left of the Txt box the Pic attachment dialogue box.

Edited by snmjim

Hi 1004ron,

I am ready to add a pretty detailed 'OIL Catch Can' post, however don't know how to upload the images. Also your argument for a more expensive product just because you assume a lesser expensive product won't work is really premature. If you aren't knowledgeable about the issue that's ok, but don't assume that more expensive means better. I have a lot of experience with these oil catch cans and the JLT system is not only simple, but works very, very well. And it just happens to be a lot less expensive than the other option.

You don't have to trust my knowledge, do the research for yourself. The much more expensive option in this case addresses a concern that well, just isn't a concern for this particular vehicle. Everyone is allowed to purchase what they want, but not comparing and/or doing your homework many times means wasting a lot of time and money needlessly.

I originally chimed in about this to give people an explanation and hopefully an option. I was able to get Vinny at JLT to get this kit completed in a very short amount of time. If nothing else please read the reviews, and look at the product on the many websites that sell it. Summit Racing and many others offer it because it works-not just because it is cheap... Why make something difficult if it doesn't have to be? This is actually Rocket Science in a can. A 3 oz. can mind you.

I apologize as I just want folks to be informed so they can make the best possible choice for their particular situation. I will leave it at that. Sorry if I came off as a dingo-ball. I've just built enough engines and raced enough to know what works. Crap there I go again. Nuff said.

Howie

Howie,

I appreciate your input, and as I said, I'm undecided on whether I need a catch can, and secondly what make, but some of the posters here were peddling assumptions (without first hand experience) presented as fact, and that I interpret as a "negative" review.