Sign in to follow this  
Mikula

Auto shutdown after 30 minute idle

Strange feature i didn't know existed, leading me to another question. After installing a 160* thermostat, I started the car to let it get up to temperature and burp the system. after 30 minutes of idle, it automatically shut the car off. No, I did not use the remote start feature, as I know that does have a limit (which you can change)

Which leads me to this. I remember reading somewhere that if I wanted to update sync via a thumb drive it would have to be done while the vehicle was running. If this takes more than 30 minutes to install, will it still shut itself down? or is something programmed with the update to bypass the auto-shutdown while uploading?

Me personally, I planned to start the update then drive to work, so I won't run into this issue, but some others might.

My edge shut down during the download. Installing it via USB is relatively painless. Takes all of 10-15 min.

There should be a menu setting to turn it off temporarily.

There is a 30 second warning prior to automatic shutdown. You can override the pending shutdown by tapping the brake or gas pedal. There's no override setting to disable.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

There's no override setting to disable.

Of course you can. Under Settings->Vehicle Auto Engine Shutoff. Uncheck it.

• Like 1

I'll just add that this setting should only affect the current ignition cycle. On a restart it should revert back to default.

• Like 1

I'll just add that this setting should only affect the current ignition cycle. On a restart it should revert back to default.

Correct. It’s not permanent but you can use it to keep the engine running while doing a sync update or something else.

Easier to just tap the brake pedal. (Or gas pedal).

Easier to just tap the brake pedal. (Or gas pedal).

No it’s not because that requires you to be sitting in the vehicle when you get the warning. By turning it off you can leave it running and not worry about it.

• Like 1

True enough. But I can't think of any reason to leave a car idling for a half-hour or more and be away from the car.

Boredom, is a pretty good ADHD reason.

But I wasn't about to sit in the driver seat, with the heat on, in 86 degree weather, to burp the coolant. So at the point the vehicle shut down, I was between checking tire pressure and underneath for leaks. Never knew a warning even existed to avoid such a shut down.

True enough. But I can't think of any reason to leave a car idling for a half-hour or more and be away from the car.

I’ve left mine running in the driveway for over 45 minutes to do a sync update on MFT. I’m certainly not going to sit in it for that long just waiting.

On 4/28/2018 at 7:12 PM, akirby said:

Where is Under Settings->Vehicle Shutoff?

24 minutes ago, yourmanfriday said:

Where is Under Settings->Vehicle Shutoff?

Found it. Thanks a million!

1 hour ago, yourmanfriday said:

Found it. Thanks a million!

Just remember that this setting will reset after you restart the car. 

15 hours ago, omar302 said:

Just remember that this setting will reset after you restart the car. 

Yes, I think that it is a good safety feature, so I am glad that it goes back to checked automatically.  The next time I need it unchecked, I will know how to do it. Thanks again!!