Ford Edge Forum
omar302

Liftgate Weatherstrip Defects?

Could someone with a 2015+ Edge confirm if this is normal or not? The weatherstrip for the lift gate has 2 places were it seems like a small piece is cut off. This is on the outer edge. Please see the photos. 1 cut is at the bottom right the other is at the left tailight.

post-24673-0-35918000-1528810311_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-97039700-1528810324_thumb.jpg

What possible purpose would it serve? Just judging by looking at the photos, it looks like it was ripped out.

I'd say normal. 2016 SEL

post-41964-0-93443100-1528846151_thumb.jpg

post-41964-0-64355900-1528846161_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

@lildisco

Thanks for the pictures, do you get the exhaust odor under hard acceleration with climate on recirculating?

Also, it seems the cut-offs on your liftgate are symmetrical on both sides? Location is not very clear on the first pic.

Can someone else confirm? Especially on a year other than 2016? Maybe a bad batch?

Edited by omar302

Never get exhaust smell inside on any acceleration & recirculating. 1st pic is drivers side 2nd is passenger side. Both are approximately same location on each side of the hatch

• Like 1

I'd say normal. 2016 SEL

Thats surprising. What purpose, drain slots?

@lildisco

Thanks for the pictures, do you get the exhaust odor under hard acceleration with climate on recirculating?

Also, it seems the cut-offs on your liftgate are symmetrical on both sides? Location is not very clear on the first pic.

Can someone else confirm? Especially on a year other than 2016? Maybe a bad batch?

Omar,

There's a TSB for the exhaust smell. Detail can be found on this thread

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22596-tsb-17-0035-exhaust-odor-in-the-vehicle-while-the-climate-control-system-is-in-auto-or-recirculation-m

• Like 2

I already took it in for it, but the odor is still there. Our dealer is not a competent one, but we don't any other one here, so I have no other choice.

• Like 1

Update, like what @lildisco stated in post #3, it seems to be normal, checked another 2016 and had the same cut-outs. Difference only that on my Edge the cut-offs aren't positioned symmetrical (as if the weatherstrip had moved), i'll try to align it correctly. Also the part's picture on fordpartsonline has the same cut-out.

post-24673-0-05409700-1529867654_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just saw this post and thought that I would check my 17 Sport. It too has the small (approximately 1") sections of weather stripping removed. I say removed because it looks as though the material was removed after the weather stripping was installed. Possibly done with a razor knife. On mine, it would appear as though the paint is scarred on what would be the lower edge of the gap.

• Like 2