Ford Edge Forum
tk2fast

NO paddle shifters on the 2019 Edge FWD... WHAT??

The GM 9 speed just debuted a few months ago on a GM sedan (forgot which one).

The 2019 Edge owner’s manual is posted at www.motorcraftservice.com. It only shows the selectshift transmission operation with the paddle shifters. It does not make any mention of “if equipped” or “optional”. I think that was just a wording difference in the order guide between the new 8 speed transmission and the other transmissions.

• Like 1

I have a '16 Titanium with the 3.5 engine and I don't remember if it has the paddle shifters or not… :headscratch: I don't really care as I've never felt any need for them… :shrug: I put it on "drive" and just do that… DRIVE.

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U

I use the select shift feature all the time on my present vehicle as I drive very steep mountain roads and really need those lower gears for drag. Just depends on where you drive I guess.

Steep roads are where they are most useful - holding a lower gear.

It’s also useful for a quick downshift or two before pulling out to pass (you can do this from D - you don’t have to be in S - and it goes back to full automatic operation after a few seconds).

People think you have to use it like a regular manual and shift through all the gears all the time but that’s not the case.

Steep roads are where they are most useful - holding a lower gear.

It’s also useful for a quick downshift or two before pulling out to pass (you can do this from D - you don’t have to be in S - and it goes back to full automatic operation after a few seconds).

People think you have to use it like a regular manual and shift through all the gears all the time but that’s not the case.

I totally agree. I will purchase the AWD just to get the paddle shifters.

If I am not mistaken the all of the Gen 1.5 had select shift either on the gear lever (3.5) or steering wheel shifters (Sport 3.7) except for the ecoboost models. When I was in Colorado on their steep grades shifting to L seemed to work well or even setting cruise control to the speed you do not want to exceed allows it to engine brake very well. I never wanted for more. I am not sure how sport would work, but I could imagine it would be similar.

Maybe Ford thinks that there are to many people like me and never use it? I’m not saying they shouldn’t offer it just I don’t have a need for it. I don’t like the delay .

The updated order guide as on 9/1 states that the only 2019 Edge to have paddle shifters is the AWD. The FWD will not even have a Select Shift transmission. So strange.

The updated order guide as on 9/1 states that the only 2019 Edge to have paddle shifters is the AWD. The FWD will not even have a Select Shift transmission. So strange.

Yes that’s what it says but it’s not certain whether that’s accurate or not. Could just be a typo.

Some time back I tried contacting Ford via email about this to no avail.

On 6/21/2018 at 12:06 PM, tk2fast said:

I agree ben senise; No paddle shifters is a "deal breaker" for me. 90% of my driving is mountainous with very steep downgrades.

It just makes no sense to me that Ford would do this. Ugh! Does anyone have an Email of someone at Ford that makes these decisions?

My wife purchased her 2019 Edge FWD and her mind was set, so I basically went along for the ride since it was her car.  However, I feel sheepish that I didn’t research the car better for when we drive mountain roads in the summer.  The inability to hold that car back on steep grades without riding the brakes is a safety issue in my book and I have notified the NHTSA.  It is a major engineering gaffe and unacceptable. 

I tried to contact Ford but was unable to speak with anyone who could speak English understandably.  Unbelievable.  

I have contacted two two dealerships and one where I know several people.  They confirmed that is it not a car for the mountains.  Strictly a flatlander’s car.  For the record, I have played with it trying all kinds of things.  In “s” mode if you brake below 20 mph you can get a tiny amount of engine braking.  Hey, I have driven in the mountains for nearly 60 years including towing a 14000 pound 5er behind my 2000 Powerstroke.  On it., I had to install an exhaust brake.  Maybe that is what we need on this Edge. Lol.  

Inept engineering Ford!!!

1 hour ago, Crooner7 said:

My wife purchased her 2019 Edge FWD and her mind was set, so I basically went along for the ride since it was her car.  However, I feel sheepish that I didn’t research the car better for when we drive mountain roads in the summer.  The inability to hold that car back on steep grades without riding the brakes is a safety issue in my book and I have notified the NHTSA.  It is a major engineering gaffe and unacceptable. 

I tried to contact Ford but was unable to speak with anyone who could speak English understandably.  Unbelievable.  

I have contacted two two dealerships and one where I know several people.  They confirmed that is it not a car for the mountains.  Strictly a flatlander’s car.  For the record, I have played with it trying all kinds of things.  In “s” mode if you brake below 20 mph you can get a tiny amount of engine braking.  Hey, I have driven in the mountains for nearly 60 years including towing a 14000 pound 5er behind my 2000 Powerstroke.  On it., I had to install an exhaust brake.  Maybe that is what we need on this Edge. Lol.  

Inept engineering Ford!!!

For the most part, most cars with Automatic transmissions did not have manual control foe gear ratios. Furthermore, with newer small displacement engines (usually Turbocharged), engine braking is weak compared to older, bigger engines. With my Sport (2.7 EcoBoost) engine braking is considerably weaker than my previous MKX with the 3.7L. And those are nothing compared to the 4.6L v8 in the 1996 Grand Marquis we had before that. 

On 8/27/2018 at 9:26 PM, tamugrad2013 said:

If I am not mistaken the all of the Gen 1.5 had select shift either on the gear lever (3.5) or steering wheel shifters (Sport 3.7) except for the ecoboost models. When I was in Colorado on their steep grades shifting to L seemed to work well or even setting cruise control to the speed you do not want to exceed allows it to engine brake very well. I never wanted for more. I am not sure how sport would work, but I could imagine it would be similar.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:26 PM, tamugrad2013 said:

It should be similar but it is not.  The s mode won’t hold you back much at all. 

45 minutes ago, omar302 said:

For the most part, most cars with Automatic transmissions did not have manual control foe gear ratios. Furthermore, with newer small displacement engines (usually Turbocharged), engine braking is weak compared to older, bigger engines. With my Sport (2.7 EcoBoost) engine braking is considerably weaker than my previous MKX with the 3.7L. And those are nothing compared to the 4.6L v8 in the 1996 Grand Marquis we had before that. 

It isn’t an engine braking issue or holding the car back with manual shifters wouldn’t work either.  It is the inability to hold the transmission in a lower gear and hold it there.  I drove an Edge at a dealership with the paddles and it held the car back just fine.  I haven’t looked at all the automatics out there in 2019, but have driven several which have traditional manual lower gear configurations.