NO paddle shifters on the 2019 Edge FWD... WHAT??

tk2fast

1 hour ago, David Dewhurst said:

akirby, when you procure a car/SUV with non adaptive cruise control, what are your functional expectations of the non adaptive cruise control? 

For several decades, people who used cruise control would understand that the car would go faster down hill then their set speed, so they learned they had to use the brakes, then hit resume at the bottom of the hill.

Then manufacturers started adding engine controls that downshifted the engine while using the cruise.  Some people (like you and me) quite liked that, but most people (the vast majority of people who don't know to downshift going down hills anyway) didn't understand what was going on and thought the loud noises coming from the engine meant that it was broken or about to explode.  They then complained to the manufacturers and thus the manufacturers are changing things again in response to the complaints.

Let's not mix what your expectations are versus the majority of the population.  Car people - the ones who tend to seek out forums - don't really understand how much in the minority their opinions and knowledge about cars really are.  If you took a survey on this forum, you'd probably find 75% of the responses would say downshifting on hills is important.  If you asked 100 people in the Walmart parking lot, you'd probably find 90 of them don't even know what downshifting is.

22 minutes ago, David Dewhurst said:

akirby, my expectations with non adaptive cruise control are, set speed and Edge maintains said speed on horizontal road surface, uphill road surface and downhill road surface. Waving By emoji

I only expect it to attempt to maintain set speed.  Nowhere does it guarantee it will keep the set speed under any circumstance. 

Your expectations are not realistic in some cases.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok to those who tell me I'm dumber than a box of rocks and don't know squat about the 2019 Edge SE FWD with passive/normal cruise control and what it will and will not do for whatever reasons you stated. Driving down a steep hill for the first time a couple days ago in cruise control at 35 mph, the Edge in cruise at 35 mph/1,500 RPM down shifted at a speed of 39 mph/2,600 RPM, then down shifted at a speed of 45 MPH/3,700 RPM with the final down shift at a speed of 50 MPH/4,000 RPM. Wouldn't you guys call that down shifting 3 times. This would suggest the threshold for down shifting is strictly a programming issue which Ford could easily do so that the Edge would down shift starting at 30 MPH while keeping the speed shift points closer to actual speed plus maybe 1 MPH the same as the 2013 Edge did. The speed gain during the 3 down shifts was 15 MPH which if they re programmed to 1 mph over cruise set speed similar to the 2013 Edge, the speed gain would have been only 3 mph and likely there would be a 4th down shift to 4th gear. Have not communicated directly with Ford Motor Company, but this experience adds a bit more fuel to the fire.

EDIT:

Went back to hill this AM normal gas pedal to 35 MPH, started down hill at 35 MPH lifted foot off gas pedal, never below 35 MPH and from gravity accelerated to 50 MPH.

Went down hill in S mode cruise control 35 MPH and same similar shifting as previously stated in D mode with a speed of 50 MPH.

Short summation, the down shifting is all games and fun for those without a clue because the downshifting on the 2019 Edge does nothing other than change the tack RPM's compared to the 2013 Edge which slowed the vehicle.

Because the Edge has no process to down shift to a lower gear in hilly/mountain roads as was mentioned in an earlier post Ford Motor Company one must use the brake and the brake system will overheat and cause a safety issue.

Edited by David Dewhurst

15 hours ago, David Dewhurst said:

Because the Edge has no process to down shift to a lower gear in hilly/mountain roads as was mentioned in an earlier post Ford Motor Company one must use the brake and the brake system will overheat and cause a safety issue.

Well you should obviously get rid of that death trap ASAP.

You'd have to ride the brakes for 5-10 minutes solid (at least) before they came close to being dangerous.  Live with it or get rid of it.  Whining about it won’t help anybody.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dewhurst said:

akirby, for a Moderator you are certainly filled with canned answers.

First, a moderator is just a regular poster who kills spam and keeps posters from attacking each other.   Nothing more.

My answers are facts,  Paddles were deleted for cost cutting.  They’re not going to put them back on or change the cruise control  programming.  It’s not a safety issue and trying to claim it is a safety issue is just silly.

live with it or trade it are your only realistic choices.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:10 PM, David Dewhurst said:

Because the Edge has no process to down shift to a lower gear in hilly/mountain roads as was mentioned in an earlier post Ford Motor Company one must use the brake 

True

On 10/4/2019 at 10:10 PM, David Dewhurst said:

and the brake system will overheat and cause a safety issue.

False

Please forgive me for once again pointing out that the only mention of brakes overheating is in the adaptive cruise control system section.  If you are not using adaptive cruise control, the brakes will not overheat.

The adaptive cruise uses an algorithm to consider how much brake pressure is applied over a certain amount of time.  Once it gets to a certain threshold, it will shut off the adaptive cruise control system.  That is what the warning in the owner's guide is for, so that you know why the system has shut off.  As i mentioned before, it's accounting not only for the brake rotors and pads, but also for the solenoids that apply the pressure.  Since Ford engineers are not quite as incompetent as you think they are, they set these thresholds on the conservative side so that the warnings come on before the brakes have actually overheated to the point where it becomes a safety issue.

Edited by Waldo

3 hours ago, todd92 said:

Didn't you contact the NHTSA and tell them the 2019 Edge has a serious safety defect?  What did they say?  I would expect them to issue a recall for this defect.

It’s not a defect and not a safety issue.  That’s just how the transmission functionality was designed and that’s exactly what Ford will say - because it’s the truth.

Edited by akirby

Being the one who started this thread before the purchase and now having driven our 2019 Edge Titanium AWD since December 2018, I can say the paddle shifters are just about worthless. This vehicle just wants to GO and the brakes are the only real way to slow it down. Now in comparison to my FCA product driven on the same mountain roads, there is a world of difference. The FCA product slows down auto downshifting quite nicely and I don't have to use the breaks 30% as much as the Ford. The FCA 8 speed transmission is far superior to the Ford which can shift up/down abruptly at times. 

Not saying we are not happy with the Edge as it is much more comfortable and quiet than the FCA and we do like it. Just the mechanical/transmission aspect and the dashboard/touchscreen are superior on the FCA IMO.

1 hour ago, tk2fast said:

Being the one who started this thread before the purchase and now having driven our 2019 Edge Titanium AWD since December 2018, I can say the paddle shifters are just about worthless. This vehicle just wants to GO and the brakes are the only real way to slow it down. Now in comparison to my FCA product driven on the same mountain roads, there is a world of difference. The FCA product slows down auto downshifting quite nicely and I don't have to use the breaks 30% as much as the Ford. The FCA 8 speed transmission is far superior to the Ford which can shift up/down abruptly at times. 

Not saying we are not happy with the Edge as it is much more comfortable and quiet than the FCA and we do like it. Just the mechanical/transmission aspect and the dashboard/touchscreen are superior on the FCA IMO.

Is the FCA in auto mode or manual mode?  Is the edge in Sport mode auto?

Are you saying the serious safety defect is not limited to the FWD models?  SelectShift also will not slow the vehicle down in AWD models?  The NHTSA must be alerted immediately so a recall can be issued to correct this dangerous  and unsafe condition!

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

Is the FCA in auto mode or manual mode?  Is the edge in Sport mode auto?

The FCA and Edge are in auto mode ---stick it in drive & go. Tried the Edge in sport mode and was a tad better as I think it changes the shifting points. Same as the paddle shifters... a little better but not worth the interaction needed.  The FCA does a much better job but to be fair the FCA has a V6 and the Edge a 2L 4. Still love the way the FCA trans works overall.

As mentioned a few pages back, the amount of engine braking you get from an engine is directly related to its displacement.  A 2L engine has to rev at 3000rpm to get the same amount of compression braking as a 3L engine at 2000rpm.  Nothing in the calibration or transmission can change that basic law of physics.

• 1 month later...

Without backtracking and reading all what wouldn't happen with a shift to a lower gear to slow an Edge/Escape on hilly/mountains roads, here's some facts for those who say downshifting with a small pukey engine will do nothing, guess what, please read very slowly for the facts to sink in. 2018 16.L EcoBoost Escape.

Fact, 7% slope road (normal Fed. funded road), break hill at 25 MPH shift to neutral, coasting, reach speed of 40  MPH at whatever RPM at bottom of hill.

Fact, 7% slope road, break hill at 25 MPH 1,200 RPM, shift to Low gear, coasting reach speed of 10 MPH and 4,500 RPM.

It doesn't matter if the hill/mountains condition is 7% slope, 10% slope or greater within reason, the engine will brake the speed to a safe condition.

Please tell me again how a pukey little engine will not engine brake. : )