Need a softer ride than 21"

edsasdelli

We have a set of stock Edge 18" rims for winter, and the 21" Edge Sport rims for summer. Not really any difference in ride quality ("Softness"). There is handling difference, but only when you are pushing the car some. Day to day driving not any noticeable difference.

I add this to support the notion that your ride might be more the suspension than the tires.

Doug

• Like 1

The recommended pressure is based on a estimated passenger and luggage loading.

Perhaps lowering the pressure to 33 psi will provide sufficient safety while making for a softer ride. I would not go below ~5% however.

This will make the biggest difference short of purchasing a different vehicle. I don't even think it's a big deal running them at 30-31. I think my 2011 SEL rides kinda stiff on 18's at 31 psi but I'm getting pretty old.:)

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 1

Just my 2 cents but the difference between 20" and 21" will be negligible. The tires you use will have a much greater impact on your ride quality. My 2008 came with Hankook tires with a speed rating of 130 MPH and a load index I don't exactly remember but it was way out of any useful range I'd ever have any use for. My edge will never see 100 MPH let alone 130. If your tire ratings compared to what you actually need are anything like mine, putting tires on the car matching your need will have a much greater effect on ride quality than an inch of tire size. Just my opinion but this is where I'd start.

• 1 year later...