2019 Edge ST Update

blitz118

...., you cannot have a family SUV with sportscar suspension as a daily and a Edge is definitely not a weekend car.

.....what ? ........ take it from a realy old guy that my 2016 sport and now my 2018 sport (ST someday) work just fine as a daily driver, ....and it just loves B.C. s twisty roads.

• Like 1

.....what ? ........ take it from a realy old guy that my 2016 sport and now my 2018 sport (ST someday) work just fine as a daily driver, ....and it just loves B.C. s twisty roads.

My 2016 Sport is also an excellent daily. And it too is great in the twisties. So why now try to make it even more firm? If that is your thing, power to you man. Each to their own.

This is just my opinion anyways. You are welcome to disagree, thats what the interwebz is for.... its become such a serious place

The test drive that wasn't !!!

https://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20181005/first-drive-2019-ford-edge-st-and-edge-titanium/

What is interesting (?) for Canadian buyers is; (quote from article)

"You can also opt for the black 21-inch wheels pictured in this story, but in Canada they are a separate option. In the US, they come part of a $2,000-odd brake upgrade package that includes summer performance tires. That package is not available in Canada, much to the chagrin of those of us gathered."

Oh, they only come in blue ! ;)

Edited by Old Ray

The test drive that wasn't !!!

https://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20181005/first-drive-2019-ford-edge-st-and-edge-titanium/

What is interesting (?) for Canadian buyers is; (quote from article)

"You can also opt for the black 21-inch wheels pictured in this story, but in Canada they are a separate option. In the US, they come part of a $2,000-odd brake upgrade package that includes summer performance tires. That package is not available in Canada, much to the chagrin of those of us gathered."

Oh, they only come in blue ! ;)

The article poorly worded. The 21" wheels can be separately ordered in the US, alone $995 or part of the $2695 package.

Probably due to the 'Summer only tires'... for the brake package not being offered in Canada.

Just throwing this out there....

Body motions were nicely controlled during our mountain-road and autocross antics, with brake-based torque vectoring aiding the ST's agility (there’s no rear torque vectoring). Ride quality is commendably smooth even on the optional 21-inch wheels (20s are standard)

Autoblog's review.

The Edge ST can be fun on winding back roads without too many tight corners, but it doesn't quite deliver the same level of excitement as other Ford Performance products.

We're just not sure the Edge ST is a good value or that its ST credentials are enough to justify the badging. It's the ultimate Edge, sure, and it's a good crossover. It's just not good at being an ST.
  • Like 3

Ugh. Why is she comparing it to the Audi Q5? The Q5 is not only smaller but only has a 2.0T engine - AND it's more expensive than the Edge ST. The competitor is the SQ5 which is still smaller but has similar performance. But the SQ5 is over $60K. And I guarantee the other competitors of similar size and performance are way more expensive. At least point out the price and size differences when making those comparisons.

So it seems like the journalists think the ST badge doesnt fit. Interesting.

They don't think it's as sporty as the Fiesta and Focus ST. I guess they don't understand the laws of physics.

The real question should be what other mainstream 2 row utilities does it compete against and how does it perform relative to those? And don't mention Audi or Porsche unless you also mention the huge price difference.

As a long time and current Mustang GT owner I was hoping that the ST would fit the bill by providing some sport and utility for my daily driving needs.

After reading all of the reviews I come away disappointed with the verdict on this model. Ford should have offered the 2.7 in the Titanium model and skipped the ST version altogether. I think they missed the mark here.

I'll hang on to my Sorento turbo 2.0 for another year. Maybe Genesis will offer the twin turbo V6 in one of their upcoming Crossovers.

It looks like MaX83_ZA's assumption was on the mark.

• Like 1

Sounds like you guys are really wanting a RS version which would be lighter, more nimble and maybe have more power from a 3.0LEB. But it's still going to be taller and heavier than a Porsche Macan or Audi SQ5. Maybe a new Escape ST based on the new platform would be more to your liking.