2019 Edge ST Update

blitz118

Sounds like you guys are really wanting a RS version which would be lighter, more nimble and maybe have more power from a 3.0LEB. But it's still going to be taller and heavier than a Porsche Macan or Audi SQ5. Maybe a new Escape ST based on the new platform would be more to your liking.

Not in my case. An updated version of the Edge Sport with the 10 speed auto and 350 hp would have struck the perfect balance. :)

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more. I really like the exterior features of the ST but you are right...Edge Sport outfitted with the 10 speed and 350 hp. Aside from the suspension, the other thing that came up in some of the reviews is the turbo lag at launch. I've had an opportunity to drive a 2017 Sport and do not recall feeling any turbo lag. This could be the reason that Ford says the 0-60 sec time is in the sub 6's. The magazine reviews of the Sport measured 5.6 sec. With the additional 20 hp and the 8 speed transmission the time should be closer to 5.0 sec. I guess we will have to wait for more detailed reviews with accurate measurements. If true, this will be very disappointing. And then there is the "fake" engine noise piped into the cabin via the speakers in sport mode. This is absurd!! I sure hope there is a way to defeat this somewhere in the menu.

So all in all so far I am disappointed with the findings expressed in the initial reviews. I have never owned a Ford (only a Lincoln Continental back in 1990 which was terribly unreliable). I was really hoping that the Edge ST would really work for me. Now, not so sure.

• Like 2

I think Ford's decision to use the ST badge was not correct. Reviews on the Fiesta ST & Focus ST always had high complements on their handling & "fun to drive" factors despite their reasonable pricing compared to more expensive offerings. Guess every was hoping Ford would do the same thing with the ST badged Edge, make it as sporty & fund to drive as more expensive crossovers. The thing is that other manufacturers started using "Sport" names for lesser trim levels, so maybe Ford was pressured into using the ST badge to justify its premium price over the titanium. And not offering the 2.7TT on the Titanium is due to the Nautilus! Ford should figure it out soon before losing more!

• Like 3

I feel the reviews sound fair. Someone buying the ST thinking it will be better than the other ST cars needs to understand that it is still a CUV. It may be faster in a straight line but its still got a lot of mass to throw around. The active noise control being reversed to amplify engine noise using the audio system needs to be confirmed for me. MT is the only one claiming this but is definitely a negative for me unless it can be disabled. As for opinions on the interior, i feels its subjective. I love the interior of my 2011 still and I would change very little. The 2019 goes backwards just a bit with physical buttons but it probably is for the better due to tactile feedback and problems with USB cables activating the capacitive buttons. I am equally if not more excited to drive my new edge after reading the reviews.

• Like 1

Sport vs ST badge is quite simple. If the normal Edge team does the tuning, it's a Sport. If Ford Performance does the tuning it has to be a ST - that's their mildest badge (as opposed to RS).

Expecting it to handle like a Fiesta ST means ignoring physics.

Edge has 13" longer wheelbase and is 28" longer, 8" wider and 10" taller.

It's also 5 inches longer and 3 inches taller than SQ5 and Macan, and it's at least $10K-$20K cheaper.

I think there were a lot of unrealistic expectations for this vehicle. It does sound like there are problems like the slow launch (which could just be a software problem with the electronic throttle control and tranny software) and other quirks that don't seem to make sense (like not staying in Sport mode).

But I think if you're at all interested you should wait and drive one yourself. Don't base your decision on a few online reviews.

It would have been nice to have the 2.3L available but it's not being offered even in the Nautilus, so either they're trying to cut costs by only having 2 engines or they don't have enough capacity to use the 2.3L elsewhere (probably due to it being the only engine in the new Ranger).

If you want the engine but better ride quality looks like you'll have to step up to a Nautilus. At least you get Lincoln Ride Control and CCD and Sport/Comfort modes. The price difference is about $3K but you get a longer warranty and free pickup/delivery. You can't get the brake package or summer tires though.

Expecting it to handle like a Fiesta ST means ignoring physics.

We didnt make them put a badge on a car that cant life up to expectations...

I am not anti-Ford (I currently own 2) and I am not anti-Edge (infact I am actually thinking of trading my Mustang on a 17 or 18 Edge Sport with the hope that it makes beautiful baby Edge Sports with my wife's 16 Sport...). I am just sad that the Ford marketing machine started getting involved in car design. Slapping an ST badge on the Edge is like all the publications are saying, Ford trying to tap into a market that doesnt exist. When I saw the first Ben Collins drive of the Edge sport the cat was out of the bag for me already.

Again, just my opinion :)

Where is the specification document that says exactly what ST means and lists all the performance targets that it has to meet? And where is it written that those requirements have to apply to EVERY vehicle from small hatchbacks to medium and large utilities?

To me ST just means tuned by Ford Performance and is the lowest tier of performance. There really shouldn't be any specific expectations other than improvements over the base vehicle in terms of performance.

If you made up your own specific expectations then that's your issue, not Ford's.

It is what it is and it's exactly what Ford wanted it to be. If you don't like it then don't buy it. But don't complain that it shouldn't be a ST just because you don't like it.

Where is the specification document that says exactly what ST means and lists all the performance targets that it has to meet? And where is it written that those requirements have to apply to EVERY vehicle from small hatchbacks to medium and large utilities?

To me ST just means tuned by Ford Performance and is the lowest tier of performance. There really shouldn't be any specific expectations other than improvements over the base vehicle in terms of performance.

If you made up your own specific expectations then that's your issue, not Ford's.

It is what it is and it's exactly what Ford wanted it to be. If you don't like it then don't buy it. But don't complain that it shouldn't be a ST just because you don't like it.

Ford built the ST brand, not me... In all of their marketing material they mentioned it as the fastest ST they have built and how it aligns with the rest of the ST line in terms of handling, sound and chassis tuning. Nowhere did they mention fine print that stated the ST logo was for illustrative purposes only and should be taken with a pinch of salt; or did I miss that?

This is enough time wasted on this topic for me now.

In all of their marketing material they mentioned it as the fastest ST they have built and how it aligns with the rest of the ST line in terms of handling, sound and chassis tuning.

Sounds 100% accurate to me.

Just admit you created your own standards for what ST should mean and now you're disappointed.

• Like 1

So far the only disappointment I've read is the turbo lag. Not sure why in today's day and age they let that slip through the tuning and into the final product. I don't have confidence that Ford will release/update the code to correct it with existing models (maybe adding/changing it down the line a year or two but leaving existing owners screwed). It appears the looks and most of the touch/feel items have been improved which is nice.

I noticed that there has been no mention of Adaptive Steering. Even in the reviews & pictures, the steering wheel looks to be the standard wheel (with a pass through in the bottom spoke). Seems like they are not offering it anymore on the Edge.

And then there is the "fake" engine noise piped into the cabin via the speakers in sport mode. This is absurd!! I sure hope there is a way to defeat this somewhere in the menu.

Active Noise Control has been in the Edge Sport since 2015. If you drove the 2017 Sport, then you have already experienced it.

• Like 2

So far the only disappointment I've read is the turbo lag. Not sure why in today's day and age they let that slip through the tuning and into the final product.

It's almost certainly not turbo lag. It has to be the ETC or the tranny or the PCM programming. It's possible it was a pre-production problem that's been fixed for production. Hard to say until the production units come out. Either way it's disappointing.

I noticed that there has been no mention of Adaptive Steering. Even in the reviews & pictures, the steering wheel looks to be the standard wheel (with a pass through in the bottom spoke). Seems like they are not offering it anymore on the Edge.

According to the order guide, adaptive steering is no longer available on Titanium and there is no mention of it anywhere else in the order guide. I guess it was either too much trouble or they just cut costs.

• Like 1

It's almost certainly not turbo lag. It has to be the ETC or the tranny or the PCM programming. It's possible it was a pre-production problem that's been fixed for production. Hard to say until the production units come out. Either way it's disappointing.

There's a new Interview with a Ford Performance Engineer that touches on this;

Is there something you wish could have been part of the car but for whatever reason didn't make it?

I'll tell you the item, the single specific attribute, that we'll continue to improve is the transmission software. We have a new eight-speed transmission, fundamentally very capable. Our target is DCT-like shift speeds. We're not quite there yet. We will see, we know how to do it, and we will get there over time with additional software.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/interview-ford-performance-engineer-on-2019-ford-edge-st/

Edited by Rimcrim
  • Like 1

Hopefully pre-production or if not, hopefully enough negative press will result in a correction at the factory before release.

There's a new Interview with a Ford Performance Engineer that touches on this;

Is there something you wish could have been part of the car but for whatever reason didn't make it?

I'll tell you the item, the single specific attribute, that we'll continue to improve is the transmission software. We have a new eight-speed transmission, fundamentally very capable. Our target is DCT-like shift speeds. We're not quite there yet. We will see, we know how to do it, and we will get there over time with additional software.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/interview-ford-performance-engineer-on-2019-ford-edge-st/

Interesting that they admit it's not quite there but f it, we'll still release it. lol If they had a great history of post purchase software updates/support included I'd be excited but at least from our personal experience, that's not been the case.