2019 Edge ST Update

blitz118

So you’re smarter than everyone else here and smarter than Ford. Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

And to reiterate:

Ford sucks. Ford Performance sucks. STs suck. A few bad online reviews means nobody will buy an Edge ST.

Got it. Thanks.

And this shows you are not lying about being an IT Architect. :2thumbs:

The only thing he mentioned on the tranny was "rev hanging". If he was just talking about holding a lower gear to keep the revs up in sport mode - that's normal and a good thing. Even my F150 does that. Or was he implying that it was just late shifting? Hard to tell, but it certainly didn't sound like it had the same issues as some of the other testers.

Since she asks why Ford doesn't use the 10 speed auto loses her credibility as an auto journalist in my opinion. She should have known that the 10 speed auto is for longitudinal drivetrains while the Edge is transverse.

Very good point! On a different note how do you imbed the video directly into the post?

The only thing he mentioned on the tranny was "rev hanging". If he was just talking about holding a lower gear to keep the revs up in sport mode - that's normal and a good thing. Even my F150 does that. Or was he implying that it was just late shifting? Hard to tell, but it certainly didn't sound like it had the same issues as some of the other testers.

After watching the video again, you're right he was not complaining but noticed it, and I think it was doing what it was meant to do and that keeps the revs up. I also gather from that video that they were beating the crap out of the cars and they had no issues. I feel better now about leasing one and can't wait till they're on the lot.

Following this forum for some time but first post. On a side note to the site admins....I have sent many messages using the contact option on this site to sort out an error I made trying to set up an account and received no reply over the last 30-60 days. It does not appear that anyone is monitoring inquiries coming through that channel.

Regarding the dialog regarding the ST and Ford's use of that badge on this vehicle......and I am going to show my age a bit....I remember when the Ford Performance group was known as SVO, then SVT. Back in the SVT days, Ford made an SVT Lighting out of a stepside F150. It was not intended to handle like the SVT Mustang, Contour, or Focus. It was the high performance version of the truck and I suspect Ford is taking a similar approach with the Edge. Chevrolet did the same by building a higher performance truck and put an SS badge on it. They also foolishly put an SS or RS badge on nearly everything....but I digress.

Regarding the Edge ST, I think the recommendations to drive it before making a final decision are very wise. Compare it back to back with a Sport and see what you think. I am a bit concerned about the ride quality, considering the comment about stiffer springs, however, it does not say whether the ST springs are stiffer than the base or stiffer than the 2018 Sport. Thinking back to the 2001 SVT Mustang I bought new...it actually rode as well or better than the GT version. So....I am hopeful Ford did not loose sight of the fact that proper suspension tuning and great handling can be accomplished with bump compliance. I remain hopeful they struck a good balance but am also cautious as my son has a Focus RS and that is awful on anything but perfectly smooth pavement....but I digress, again. :-)

I am just looking forward to the ST hitting the dealers so I can make a decision about our next vehicle.....does anyone know when they will land? Sorry about the long first post and I hope some of my thoughts and experiences provide some helpful insight and perspective.

• Like 1

I am just looking forward to the ST hitting the dealers so I can make a decision about our next vehicle.....does anyone know when they will land? Sorry about the long first post and I hope some of my thoughts and experiences provide some helpful insight and perspective.

They should start hitting the dealers next month, and some have already landed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYfaPuzRzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atzsx2r7SQM

Edited by blitz118

Following this forum for some time but first post. On a side note to the site admins....I have sent many messages using the contact option on this site to sort out an error I made trying to set up an account and received no reply over the last 30-60 days. It does not appear that anyone is monitoring inquiries coming through that channel.

Sorry about that. I have no idea where that contact option forwards to - I don’t have anything to do with that. But on a related note I’m also not getting email notifications for reported content even though I have it set to do that. I guess the new software is still messed up.

In the future please post a topic in the Help section and I’ll see it for sure.

A user on the Lincoln MKX forum just test drove a Nautilus with the 2.7L. He said it was very smooth and very powerful with no throttle lag and no turbo lag whatsoever.

That bodes well for the Edge ST and makes it more likely that the reported test drive problems were defective vehicles.

For me, I just paste the YouTube link & the forum embeds it automatically.

Thank you! I just tried in the test forum and it worked!

I used the button for the link and it did not work. On some forums you can post the link directly like you suggested. The forum software will embed it like you mentioned. Or it will use the HTML code for it but we can't see it. I didn't know if using HTML code in a post was allowed. I figured it would be best to err on the side of caution and opt not to.

Thanks once again.

• Like 2

Ford Performance already admitted the tranny software isn't 100% yet and it will be updated soon.

Yet another case of Ford putting something into production before it was completely ready. It would be bad enough if they did that on the regular edge, but doing it on the ST is ridiculous.

They probably should have delayed the ST a few months to make sure it was bulletproof especially considering this is the first Ford vehicle to get the new 8 speed. Then again, they wouldn't have the 2.7L available at all if they did that.

I still say it won't hurt sales very much, but at the same time it's frustrating to see these avoidable mistakes over and over.

• Like 2

Is this something that can be updated after the fact by a Ford Dealership?

I'm not noticing any transmission issues, but Ford performance dropped the ball, and the ST is not performing on paper as it should given the changes they made to the vehicle. Now having the vehicle I can say it feels better than my 2015 Sport. It's like I'm driving a different vehicle. I'm enjoying the ST, and love driving it. The suspension rides better than my 2015, and they both have 21 wheels. The ST has all season Continental tires, so I don't know if that is giving me the better ride quality, but the ride is not harsh to me.