2019 Edge ST Update

blitz118

I believe this tranny was developed with the 2.7L in mind so it should be capable of handling the torque with no problem, just like the 6F55 in the old sport. I don’t think it will handle more than that though since I don’t think they plan to put the 3.0L or 3.5L turbo engines in transverse applications going forward.

The 2015 Sport was available as FWD only. Starting with the 2016 all Sports are AWD.

The 2015 Edge Sport was available in both AWD and FWD. I had a 2015 Edge Sport AWD. The question is why the ST is slower or does not handle any better on paper. I feel my ST handles better than my 2015 Sport though. I would love to know what Ford Performance thinks of these reviews. It seems the power and suspensions changes made no difference.

The 2015 Edge Sport was available in both AWD and FWD. I had a 2015 Edge Sport AWD. The question is why the ST is slower or does not handle any better on paper. I feel my ST handles better than my 2015 Sport though. I would love to know what Ford Performance thinks of these reviews. It seems the power and suspensions changes made no difference.

The 2nd question was why the 2015 sport was faster than the 2016 sport.

I’m sure the problem with the ST is the transmission.

The 2nd question was why the 2015 sport was faster than the 2016 sport.

I’m sure the problem with the ST is the transmission.

You don't know that for fact. The ST feels no slower than my 2015 Sport. Do you know anyone at Ford Performance who wouldn't mind jumping into this discussion?

You don't know that for fact. The ST feels no slower than my 2015 Sport. Do you know anyone at Ford Performance who wouldn't mind jumping into this discussion?

I know some of the reviewers said it was very slow off the line and slow to upshift. What else would it be?

And no, I don’t have any Ford Performance connections.

Likely is. I'm also betting motortrend was testing a preproduction model still. It is unclear though as no one else mentions driving a figure 8 and also how are they the only ones releasing test numbers? If these numbers were substantiated by a production model I would think you would see more articles on it and heavier criticism of ford over it.

My ST wont arrive until late January or February I have time to see what happens and hopefully for a few tweaks to happen.. Kind of annoyed Canada gets no brake option though.

I just realized that these test drives were done at over 5000 feet above sea level. Even with forced induction you’re going to be down some HP.

That is debatable. One interesting thing I found briefly discussed on a forum is that elevation can increase turbo lag. That could explain what reviewers experienced.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?619553-Power-loss-at-altitude-with-a-Turbocharged-engine/page2&s=5f5e8180a813dcefef25ed2a7027c9c2

Thinner air, less oxygen ... seems a recipe for less power to me, regardless of forced induction or not. We are literally talking 1+ second differences in the quarter mile compared to sea level. Turbo lag could contribute to that, sure, but Ford's turbos at least on the transverse engines are pretty small and quick to begin with.

LandRover Jaguar's patent to address lag due to altitude

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9874159B2/en?oq=9874159

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

There is no way you can go to 5000 ft with the same engine tuning and boost levels and NOT see a reduction in power. Less oxygen = less power. FI engines do better than NA engines for sure but there is still a loss.

Turbo lag also makes sense. Yet another fail by Ford’s marketing dept choosing that location.

• Like 2

So you are saying the ST was tested at 5000 ft and the 2015 Sport was tested at sea level - the explanation why the 2015 Sport performed so well vs. the ST?

I wish all the new ST owners the best, but for me, I would wait until these performance bugs are worked out - that's what you are paying for. I may be a little bias, but I am glad I am holding on to my 2015 Sport, especially since it only has 14K miles on it.

So you are saying the ST was tested at 5000 ft and the 2015 Sport was tested at sea level - the explanation why the 2015 Sport performed so well vs. the ST?

I wish all the new ST owners the best, but for me, I would wait until these performance bugs are worked out - that's what you are paying for. I may be a little bias, but I am glad I am holding on to my 2015 Sport, especially since it only has 14K miles on it.

Is your 2015 FWD or AWD? I wasn’t comparing it to the 2015 specifically, I was addressing the complaints from some of the testers about it being sluggish and not as fast as they expected it to be.