Plastic Oil Drain Plug Change

anile_eight

Plastic Oil Drain Plug Options  

23 members have voted

1. 1. When I change the oil I always

• Let the dealer/shop do it (aka I have no idea)
    • Always replace the oil drain plug (and gasket)
    • Replace the drain plug every 2-4 oil changes (or different frequency but not every single time)
    • I have yet to replace the oil drain plug (if so please state mileage/how many oil changes below)

On 10/10/2018 at 9:03 AM, rwf78155 said:

new drain plug..........adds 5 hp :lol:

These two would lighten your wallet, which will of course result in more speed.

My sport is 2 years old and 39K miles, and no issues with the original plastic drain plug.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-oil-pan-drain-plug-billet-f-150-ecoboost-2015-2019-f-150-raptor-2017-2018/p/HW4228/?year=2018&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4fHkBRDcARIsACV58_GE9Nt20vLXcZLvasszi-uxYK14mIfMf3kib-v7CVh0g6noG9MM4GIaArkxEALw_wcB

https://roninfactory.com/collections/ford/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Looking at both videos I have come to this conclusion .

Because the Ronin drain hole is in the middle and not at the bottom you have to raise the front of the vehicle to try to get all the oil out and if you misplace that little adaptor then you are SOL. Chances are you will not be able to empty the pan completely with the Ronin device. You will have to remove it completely anyway to check the magnet.

The UPR drain plug will let the pan drain completely on flat ground and raising the front of of the vehicle is not necessary. Because the plug is removed to drain the pan the magnet can be inspected every oil change.  My money is on UPR. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Xtra said:

Looking at both videos I have come to this conclusion .

Because the Ronin drain hole is in the middle and not at the bottom you have to raise the front of the vehicle to try to get all the oil out and if you misplace that little adaptor then you are SOL. Chances are you will not be able to empty the pan completely with the Ronin device. You will have to remove it completely anyway to check the magnet.

The UPR drain plug will let the pan drain completely on flat ground and raising the front of of the vehicle is not necessary. Because the plug is removed to drain the pan the magnet can be inspected every oil change.  My money is on UPR. 

Good analysis and conclusion, but I'll just stick with the original plug which is still serving me well.

• Like 2

Because the plug seals inside the pan, it’s very easy to modulate the amount of oil that comes out by how far out you pull the plug.  I was able to change my F150 oil without getting any on my hand or anywhere else on the truck or the garage floor.   Very easy and very convenient.

It also has a built in drain for the oil filter (3.5LEB) which also makes it a breeze to change.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

Because the plug seals inside the pan, it’s very easy to modulate the amount of oil that comes out by how far out you pull the plug.  I was able to change my F150 oil without getting any on my hand or anywhere else on the truck or the garage floor.   Very easy and very convenient.

It also has a built in drain for the oil filter (3.5LEB) which also makes it a breeze to change.

I've only done two oil changes on my wife's 2015 V6 3.7L Mustang and haven't found a way to avoid the mess changing its oil filter - I'm keen to see what the filter drain looks like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

I've only done two oil changes on my wife's 2015 V6 3.7L Mustang and haven't found a way to avoid the mess changing its oil filter - I'm keen to see what the filter drain looks like.

Hard to see, but underneath the filter is a plastic pan maybe 6" x 8".   That pan has a drain hole and a tube that extends down several inches and acts as a funnel.  You just put the pan under the funnel, remove the filter and let it drain in place.  Works great.

• Like 1

The main reason for me to invest in this part is the magnet. Having a magnet is a great way to check the health of the engine at every oil change.

The magnet is strong enough and I am sure it will catch whatever ferrous metal bits are in the oil. For now it will just be a refrigerator magnet as I just changed the oil 2 days ago.

IMG_2038.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, akirby said:

Is there a history of these failing (I have one on my F150) or is it just a “it’s cheap and I’m paranoid” thing?

Everything I've read online suggests that these plastic drain pugs last a very long time.

I've done eight oil changes and my original drain plug is fine.

I just keep one on hand just in case I find myself with the oil drained and  the plug or its O-ring are in a poor state.

• Like 2