New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

12 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Sometimes I'll leave it in auto and other times I'll make changes on the fly etc, It is a lil annoying to have to exit out of Android Auto/ Apple Car play just to access Sync 3 etc. Even more so when the passenger wants to make changes.

You can also just hit the "sound" button to the below left of the screen and it instantly backs out of carplay/android auto

6 hours ago, Denny Gaughan said:

You can also just hit the "sound" button to the below left of the screen and it instantly backs out of carplay/android auto

I'm not sure what button you are referring to. In android auto the button lay out is: navigation, phone, home, music, return to sync.  You actually have to hit return to sync, and then confirm that you want to return to sync. It's not a big deal, but it could be a smoother transition.

If you are referring to carplay, I'd have to pay more attention when my lady drives.

3 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

I'm not sure what button you are referring to. In android auto the button lay out is: navigation, phone, home, music, return to sync.  You actually have to hit return to sync, and then confirm that you want to return to sync. It's not a big deal, but it could be a smoother transition.

If you are referring to carplay, I'd have to pay more attention when my lady drives.

CarPlay just has a Sync button and you can flip back and forth easily with no confirmation.  It treats Sync like it is one of the Apps.  Pretty smooth going between the phone and Sync. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

CarPlay just has a Sync button and you can flip back and forth easily with no confirmation.  It treats Sync like it is one of the Apps.  Pretty smooth going between the phone and Sync. 

Ah I see thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of joining the fruit stand. I guess this could be one more reason to do so.

18 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Ah I see thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of joining the fruit stand. I guess this could be one more reason to do so.

To be honest I have always like Android and had a hatred for all things Apple, I work in IT for a school so they irritate me.  Anyway I get a phone as part of my employment and quite honestly have not bought my own in over 20 years.  So my Samsung broke and needed an update anyhow and they decided all employee phones should be iPhone 6S Plus models.  To be honest I now love the damn thing.  It was honestly so easy to switch to the new phone it is scary, just install an app on the old android and it transfers everything for you.  And of course Apple CarPlay is pretty and works like a charm.  My old Samsung was not Android Auto capable so I can not compare other than the pictures I have seen.  Come to the Dark Side!!!!!  Lol.

33 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

To be honest I have always like Android and had a hatred for all things Apple, I work in IT for a school so they irritate me.  Anyway I get a phone as part of my employment and quite honestly have not bought my own in over 20 years.  So my Samsung broke and needed an update anyhow and they decided all employee phones should be iPhone 6S Plus models.  To be honest I now love the damn thing.  It was honestly so easy to switch to the new phone it is scary, just install an app on the old android and it transfers everything for you.  And of course Apple CarPlay is pretty and works like a charm.  My old Samsung was not Android Auto capable so I can not compare other than the pictures I have seen.  Come to the Dark Side!!!!!  Lol.

Ironically enough I work in IT for my school district! I manage a variety of apple products and their OS etc.  I too am not a fan of Apple.  Considering the alternative it beats a blank. I used to get free phones when I worked for NYCTA. My team opted out for free phones.  Its actually contradictory to the do more with less philosophy. They give us free phones the more they expect us to be tethered to our email and ticketing system etc.   

If my situation was like yours where you switched over out of necessity, I might just do it. My current pixel 2 works great.  Apologies I digress.  Carplay has a sexier and refined interface compared to Android Auto.  I gladly let my lady drive so I can fool around with the interface.

43 minutes ago, Perblue said:

The sound button he is referring to is a physical button on the dash.

I must be drawing a blank. (actually its not hard to do, it's St. Patrick's Day and my cousin's birthday) Is there a new button on the ST that's not available to the sport?  I have to run some errands and grab brunch. I'll check for the "sound" button.

17 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

I must be drawing a blank. (actually its not hard to do, it's St. Patrick's Day and my cousin's birthday) Is there a new button on the ST that's not available to the sport?  I have to run some errands and grab brunch. I'll check for the "sound" button.

Yep

20190317_114456.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

Yep

20190317_114456.jpg

Just got out of my truck. I have never used that button before. I asked my lady if she used it.   She just looked at me blankly with this incredulous look on her face.  She seemed ecstatic that she knew something about my truck that I didn't.  Thanks for the clarification.  I stand corrected. Any day that you can learn something new, is a good day indeed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Ironically enough I work in IT for my school district! I manage a variety of apple products and their OS etc.  I too am not a fan of Apple.  Considering the alternative it beats a blank. I used to get free phones when I worked for NYCTA. My team opted out for free phones.  Its actually contradictory to the do more with less philosophy. They give us free phones the more they expect us to be tethered to our email and ticketing system etc.   

If my situation was like yours where you switched over out of necessity, I might just do it. My current pixel 2 works great.  Apologies I digress.  Carplay has a sexier and refined interface compared to Android Auto.  I gladly let my lady drive so I can fool around with the interface.

Haha.  I am the one and only IT guy at the small district so no ticketing crap.  I just by default read my emails but it is in no way expected after hours by the current Admin.  Anyway, I am with you on letter the little lady try it with her phone and see if you liked it or if it is even worth the effort of going to the dark side just for a cleaner look and less buttons to push to get to the Sync screens.  I mean you can access the radio and phone screens on the right hand display and if you changed it with FORscan I hear you can get the climate controls there as well.  Personally when I have the phone plugged in using CarPlay it is just because I do not have Nav and need directions.  I do not keep music on my phone and do not spend enough time listening to Music Apps on the phone.  I did like being able to use App on my Android without needing to have the phone plugged in with my Focus ST and updated Sync3, I had a 2016 so I had to manually update Sync to enable it and eventually buy a new USB hub to get CarPlay to work.  The phone did not support Android Auto but it did do the music apps like Pandora via bluetooth and controlled by the Sync touchscreen.  Apple is not so nice and easy and needs to be wired which I find to be a flaw.  Oh well, got off the beaten path there.  Lol! 

• Like 1

With Waze integration already available, manufacturer built in NAV as we know it will be thing from the past. My only comment is you currently still need to connect your phone via cable and cannot do the integration via Bluetooth. 

The downside is you use your phone data plan to run the navigation Vs built in NAV. It would be good if the Apps where built in with Sync and updates are done through WiFi or your phone.

Ford recently announced they are working towards integration with Google Alexa as well; seems like Sync 3 also might be on the way out to be replace by sync 4 or something newer

Edited by ONEDGE16

• 1 month later...