New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

2 hours ago, 65SDAK said:

I recently rode in a coworkers Acura TSX ?-Spec and outside it was whisper quiet....but inside, the engine sounds piped through the speakers made it sound like a different car.  He seemed pretty convinced...I was not as impressed.

Yikes, that seems the exact opposite of how it should be.  My daily is a CTS-V and it's shockingly quiet on the inside but if I open some windows the exhaust note comes through beautifully.  Initially I complained to my wife the car was too quiet and she laughed since she's heard it from the outside so I had her drive it while I stood outside and got a whole new impression and appreciation for their noise cancelling.  Agree that piped in fake exhaust/engine is a cop out.  Hopefully that's not in play on the ST's when the radio is on otherwise I'll be investing in a forscan to turn that off provided we go with the new ST for her vehicle.

31 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Hopefully that's not in play on the ST's when the radio is on otherwise I'll be investing in a forscan to turn that off provided we go with the new ST for her vehicle.

Yeah but the question is…: Will it be possible to disable it?…even with Forscan??…Who knows! :shrug:

Claude.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:01 PM, mwilson6192 said:

Well, I have some unfortunate news regarding our new Edge ST. As I was mopping up the garage floor yesterday evening after pulling out my wife's new Edge ST to clean up the accumulated rain runoff from the vehicle (we have been getting weeks of rain!), I noticed a small pink puddle on the floor. I inspected the fluid, and it was slimy and sweet smelling. Crap! I crawled underneath the body, and there was clearly a line of pink drops … a coolant leak! Less than 500 miles on my the Edge ST. This was not a large coolant leak, but a leak nonetheless.

I took it to the dealer this morning (which was awkward as I bought the Edge ST out-of-state), and they just called stating that a coolant O-ring on the engine block is leaking. The Service Manager didn't get very deep into the explanation, and I didn't press … there is a coolant leak verified by me, and it needs to be fixed. The part will take 3-to-4 days to arrive at this point (the part is not in stock at the distributor). More disturbing, the mechanic also noticed a "potential" oil leak, so they want to run a dye to determine if and where the oil leak is coming from. I did not notice an oil leak while under the vehicle, so I suspect it is very slight. Crap again! I am not impressed with our bad luck on possibly two leaks in our brand new Edge ST.

The one "comforting" factor (if I can call it that) is that I specified a specific senior mechanic to work on our Edge ST. He is an excellent mechanic and is the ONLY mechanic who is allowed to touch my 2014 Shelby GT500, so I have some comfort in knowing a seasoned, skilled mechanic that I have dealt with for years is addressing this issue. It will all be fixed under warranty, but I'm disappointed that that this has happened to our Edge ST. I did find out that our Edge ST was built on 9/4/18 … which I believe was the first day of production for the 2019 Edge (ST as well as other Edge models).

Still very disappointed that we have to deal with these issues on our brand new Edge ST.

Keep us posted on the repairs and any info. that you might get about them. Good luck!

52 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Someone on here has already done it on here.

Yup, it's off in my ST.

Buy a $30 USB FORScan device (ELM327 is best), use Windows (iOS can't edit) and the FORScan application (www.forscan.org). Toggle one box (or Hex if you like). Off and I don't care about the noise cancellation that is apparently also disabled.

I hope to record the sound with it off vs. piped in noise.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Chipster said:

Keep us posted on the repairs and any info. that you might get about them. Good luck!

An update on the two issues with my wife's Edge ST.

It has been one week today since we brought her Edge ST to the dealer. Of the 7 days it has been at the dealer, 4 days was waiting on parts (explained as the vehicle is new and the parts needed are not readily stocked). I have to say, the dealer has been very good and communicative, and has been understanding about having a brand new Edge ST down for a week. Issues that were discovered and being corrected:

1. Coolant leak - New for 2019, the PTU is water cooled (in addition to being able to be uncoupled from AWD to efficient front wheel drive only). The adapter that connects the water coolant to the actual PTU had an O-ring seal leaking. This took 4 days to get a new coolant adapter and O-ring seal kit to repair the PTU leak.

2. Oil leak - The oil cooler seal to the engine case/adaptor plate was leaking. The dealer is waiting on a new seal (I don't believe they are replace the oil cooler itself). Apparently the replacement oil cooler seal is taking a long time to be received by the dealer. This is the remaining warranty repair.

I never noticed the oil leak (it must be very slight), but the coolant leak was quite noticeable. The dealer hopes we can get our Edge ST back on Friday, but I've prepared my wife's expectations to run into next week. Her Edge ST will be at the dealer's for longer than she has driven it.

Unfortunate, and my wife is less than pleased she cannot use her brand new Edge ST - but, everything is being covered under warranty. I asked for (and the dealer was already providing) full coolant and oil/filter fluid changes, and the dealer has been very good as I noted about communication and understanding.

I haven't seen the vehicle yet, but I will assume they are treating our brand new Edge ST well.

My wife is (im)patiently awaiting the return of her new Edge ST to enjoy as several of you are enjoying your Edge ST. It really looks quite good, and it really does ride quite smoothly and quietly!

Edited by mwilson6192
Corrected spelling of PTU acronymn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's a shame Ford is still having these types of issues on new vehicle launches.  But once fixed they shouldn't reoccur.

Let's hope that is the case and not a mis-engineered part relationship that shows up on other ST's. Thanks for the update mwilson, and keep us in the loop as they get you back on the road!

Just picked mine up today. ST in Ruby Red Metallic with 401A. I have about 30 miles on it now. I'm very impressed with the ride, especially after all the tests were complaining about it. I think it rides better than my 2015 Edge Sport. I tried the Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Centering for a mile or so, it tracked fine around a curve and maintained the set distance behind the car I was following. Haven't figured out the Hands Free Liftgate yet, I wave my foot under the bumper and nothing happens. Need to read the manual! The dealer has 4 more STs on the lot in black, gray, silver and white.

Edited by Xtxman
Dealer has more STs on the lot.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chipster said:

Let's hope that is the case and not a mis-engineered part relationship that shows up on other ST's. Thanks for the update mwilson, and keep us in the loop as they get you back on the road!

Oh it will probably affect other Edges but the same applies to all of them - once they determine the problem and issue the fix it shouldn't reoccur.

2 hours ago, Xtxman said:

Just picked mine up today. ST in Ruby Red Metallic with 401A. I have about 30 miles on it now. I'm very impressed with the ride, especially after all the tests were complaining about it. I think it rides better than my 2015 Edge Sport. I tried the Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Centering for a mile or so, it tracked fine around a curve and maintained the set distance behind the car I was following. Haven't figured out the Hands Free Liftgate yet, I wave my foot under the bumper and nothing happens. Need to read the manual! The dealer has 4 more STs on the lot in black, gray, silver and white.

Congrats, You have to move your foot forward and back ( to the right or left of the trailer hitch), not side to side!

54 minutes ago, akirby said:

The best way to describe it is to kick your foot up and touch your shoelaces to the bottom of the bumper on either side of center.  At least that always works for me.

I'm 50/50 for it working on the 1st kick. The delay is frustrating. Sometimes I kick again... but by then, it is already closing. So it stops!

I'd rather use the key fob or button. 

I am selling my Daily driver 2014 escape to purchase a edge then decided I should just get the Edge ST since it is more performance than a normal edge.  I never buy new vehicles going into winter because I can't keep them clean enough..LOL but hopefully all these little bugs get fixed, and for me someone makes an exhaust for this car.  Sadly calling Borla, Magnaflow, Gibson, and Flowmaster all have said they don't have anything but Borla is kicking it around but they would need a test vehicle at their CA location to use for mockup.  JLT won't be making a cold air intake for it so not sure who else would, but for tuning most places that tune mustangs said they could dyno tune for sure but there goes the warranty :(  I know this isn't a hotrod suv like other brands make but I hope someone makes some parts for this car, especially the exhaust our local dealer has one and won't let you drive it but he did start it up and rev it and it sounds so weak :(

Any modification can cause denial of a warranty claim (but not voiding the warranty).  But it has to be something related to the failure.  If you use a tuner and your radio stops working they can’t deny that claim.   But if your transmission fails and it appears to be too much torque and you have a tune they probably won’t cover that.

A helpful tip on the foot/rear liftgate thing that's gotten me to 100%, step in and put your foot straight in a couple inches to the left of the hitch then step straight back out a couple feet away.  It has a proximity sensor so if you stay too close it won't activate.

Congrats on the buy xtxman!

Appreciate the update mwilson6192, please keep us posted as I'm keeping a close eye on ours to see if it's a design defect or just a one off that unfortunately you had the mispleasure of getting.  I need to check our build date and see if they are close together.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, MrHappy said:

Appreciate the update mwilson6192, please keep us posted as I'm keeping a close eye on ours to see if it's a design defect or just a one off that unfortunately you had the mispleasure of getting.  I need to check our build date and see if they are close together.

Update 11/16/18: Going into the weekend, I called the dealer to inquire as to the status of my wife's Edge ST. We are not getting it back today (and I suspected as much). However, we are no longer waiting on parts - we are waiting on the technician to finish the job. As I noted earlier, I did request a specific technician, and it would appear he was placed on other jobs while awaiting parts arrivals. Or so I am left to piece together the delay.

I am starting to become a little suspicious at this point that all parts are in (first I have heard that) but still no Edge ST. So I set the dealer's expectations for a Monday delivery. The story "trickles out" a bit at a time, and today I found out that the subframe had to be removed to fix (I believe) the coolant leak with the PTU. The service writer I have been assigned was a little "off his game" for the first time today ("Yeah, it was a big job and yada yada yada"). 

We shall see how Monday goes. The dealer has been good so far as I said, but now my radar is up and tracking ...

Update 11/19/18: Just received this correspondence from the dealer:

"Just wanted to let you know tech is working on your car, he did just receive a tool he needed for the repair. This is a big repair. Thank you for being patient and understanding, car should be done this week. I will keep you updated.

Thank You,

<service writer's name>"

Judging by this response, I'm expecting Wednesday for our Edge ST to be completed (11/21/18). This will be exactly 2 weeks that the dealer has had the Edge ST. I have asked for a detailed explanation when I pick up the vehicle. I'm torn between going in now and asking for a detailed explanation versus leaving well enough alone. I strongly suspect our service writer is used to dealing with standard one or two day repairs versus an involved repair on a brand new vehicle where parts are not immediately available, and a (new) report where the technician needed a special tool. Part of this is also good old-fashioned setting customer expectations (e.g. these leaks are not major repair issues) to now "This is a big repair".

I wish I knew for certain how big of a repair the PTU coolant leak is as well as an oil cooler leak. I tend to believe that the service writer did not particularly communicate well with the technician, and likely the technician did not communicate well with the service writer. As I noted earlier, the information has been "trickling" out, with today the first that I understood a special tool was required and just arrived. The second key communication was the repair is considered "large". At least they are communicating in writing, as I set expectations accordingly, which now are reset yet again. 

Frustrating … I feel for my wife, who is one of the most patient people on the planet. Her patience is being tested as we are sharing a single car, and she has not had a brand new vehicle for multiple years - and she happens to have the "bad luck" dice land at her feet.

Just hang onto and be sure to get all documented paperwork with proper dates for pickup and dropoff, just in case it's needed down the road.  Hopefully it's like you stated, less than ideal communication, and once corrected it's done.  Our previous Edge had a leaking PTU which after repair was fine for the rest of the vehicle's life.  Fingers and toes crossed for ya!