New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

W

15 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

Update 11/19/18:

I wish I knew for certain how big of a repair the PTU coolant leak is as well as an oil cooler leak. I tend to believe that the service writer did not particularly communicate well with the technician, and likely the technician did not communicate well with the service writer. As I noted earlier, the information has been "trickling" out, with today the first that I understood a special tool was required and just arrived. The second key communication was the repair is considered "large". At least they are communicating in writing, as I set expectations accordingly, which now are reset yet again.

Just curious if the PTU has been udpated (ie drain plug added) or if its still like the old ones without the drain plug.  Would you mind asking when you speak with them Wed?

TIA

I am trying to determine if the Performance Break Package will interfere with smaller wheels for winter and couldnt find any information anywhere (Dealer/Ford CS/Tire Rack).  Stopped by my local dealer and they just received their first ST with the larger rotors.  It looks like maybe there is 2.5-3" space between the wheel and the caliper.  I was surprised that it looks like only the front rotors were upgraded and the rears were the same size just with the painted calipers.

On a side note, I was going to check the size of the spare (listed as compact on various websites) but low and behold...only an inflation kit and no spare tire.

1 hour ago, CBRad said:

On a side note, I was going to check the size of the spare (listed as compact on various websites) but low and behold...only an inflation kit and no spare tire.

That is part of the ST Performance Brake Package as mentioned in the Order Guide. Ford has done that before, I think with the SHO with the performance package (or whatever it was called).

• Like 1

Update 11/21/18:

I asked the dealer for a status update today, and though I was told that earlier in the week that the vehicle would be ready "this week", this will not be the case and we are no closer to knowing when our Edge ST will be completed. After a subsequent series of email messages exchanged today with the service advisor, the issue finally presented itself: we are not a priority. While he did not utter these exact words, he told me as much by stating that our Edge was being allocated technicians "when they are available" as they had to split time with the 35 to 55 vehicles that they see each day; that they had many truck recalls to deal with; that they are "slammed"; and they actually cited the weather (we did have a snowstorm, but so what - I still went to work).

I have had enough and lost my patience. I opened a case for a "Unit Down" incident with Ford Corporate, and was assigned a representative and a case number. I was advised the Ford representative will contact me within one business day. I also wrote the service advisor/dealership informing them that I opened a case with Ford Corporate, and I encouraged that this message be passed to the dealership management. I opted to take this escalation path as I need our issue to get some traction and get their attention in a blunt manner, as my efforts to be patient and understanding have evaporated. I also have no desire to cause an issue between the dealership and Ford, and said as much to the dealer - but I can't help but feel that after 14 days we are being taken advantage of. I simply want my wife's Edge ST addressed, and after 14 days we have no idea where we stand - other than the subframe is off so I can't retrieve the vehicle and take it to another dealer. I asked the dealership a simple question: Why is our brand new 2019 Edge ST any less important than any of the 35 to 55 vehicles that they see each day? They DO have a qualified technician - they just won't allocate him fully to the job and I have no idea how much time our Edge has actually been worked on.

Just frustrated.

By the way, I was told the subframe had to be removed (I assume to fix the PTU coolant leak). To those of you who have had PTU work (or are knowledgeable in this area), does this seem right to you? I don't know one way or another. I wouldn't wish this experience on my enemies ...

I'd be bouncing off the walls by now. It looks like you've been dealing with an incompetent service advisor. Hopefully your escalating it with Ford corporate results in an expedited and positive outcome. 

I always go straight to management when things go off the rails. 

I feel your pain, I've been there.

3 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

To those of you who have had PTU work (or are knowledgeable in this area), does this seem right to you? 

Though I didnt face it myself, but from reading about PTU issues for several years, never did I read anything about the subframe being involved when working on the PTU.

9 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

Update 11/21/18:

By the way, I was told the subframe had to be removed (I assume to fix the PTU coolant leak). To those of you who have had PTU work (or are knowledgeable in this area), does this seem right to you? I don't know one way or another. I wouldn't wish this experience on my enemies ...

I think based on the videos below it makes it easier to remove/install the PTU.

This video says its a ford escape, but the mechanic says its a 2014 edge (not sure which model).

At  6:30 seconds he says "Some models suggest lowering the sub frame, but not this model..."

This guy also looks like he is dropping the subframe at 5:50

Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, CBRad said:

This guy also looks like he is dropping the subframe at 5:50

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information. I did receive confirmation of a case opened and assigned to a Ford Corporate Regional CSM with complete contact information.

This situation is now even more upsetting … this repair isn't a minor repair, it is a major repair. The video supplied (thank you!) shows that the calipers, rotors, half shaft, steering connector, subframe, rear driveshaft, exhaust, catalytic convertor, and lord knows what else need to come apart just to get to the PTU. This seems about as invasive of a repair as it gets, right up there in complexity with pulling the transmission and/or an engine. We will be totally dependent upon the skill of the technician in putting this all back together again, at the right torque, adjustments (drivetrain lash?), specifications reset, etc. etc. This isn't your average repair, so technician experience and professionalism (I do give a damn) MATTER! Add to the fact that on top of this situation I have to deal with a dealer who hasn't been forthcoming about many aspects of this repair. At this point and given how this warranty claim has progressed, I am not even sure how accurate the information is that I have been given.

Now that I know the severity and complexity of the repair involved, I almost wish they would take a full 30 days and get us to a place where the lemon law applies. There seems to me to be so much that can go wrong down the road with mileage and normal wear and tear simply because so much of the vehicle must be disassembled to address the manufacturing flaw in the first place. My wife is beside herself, thinking she just spent $50K on a flawed vehicle that she has several years to pay off, and will always have a gnawing feeling in the back of her mind that her beautiful new top of the line optioned Edge ST is a lemon. Moreover, this experience has turned into a high stress, completely negative experience with a dysfunctional Ford dealer experience on top of a severe manufacturing defect. This is the type of story that I read about others having, but unfortunately this is a reality for my wife.

Thanks for the information several of you have provided - it is appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving and hope your luck turns around.  Keep in mind, it's 30 days of service TOTAL (for any number of repairs) usually inside the first year, state laws depending.  If you exceed it on just this issue I would press Ford for a replacement vehicle.  You might have to get an attorney which is no fun (I did) but most work on retainer with fees being paid for by Ford in the end, fyi.  PM me if you have any questions as I've been through this process.

On 11/2/2018 at 4:44 AM, blitz118 said:

I never paid much attention to this, but I can confirm the 2019 ST has adaptive headlights. I turned the vehicle on this morning, and it did the system check turning the headlights left to right. If I turn the steering wheel left to right, the lights move in the same direction.

I’ve had my blue ST for less than 48 hours after seeing it on the lot from a simple walk-in with no reservations (guess I was lucky). Coming from a 2007 Accord. The only thing I’m second-guessing is the maintenance plan and extended warranty (the dealer sold me MPP and not a Ford Warranty). There is so much tech on this thing that I’m seriously overwhelmed!

Several questions:

1. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to enable these “adaptive LED Headlights”. I have the 401A package, but apparently no dynamic headlights. Any ideas? I tried enabling/disabling automatic headlights, fog lights, high-beams, etc. no different. I don’t even see a calibration  during start-up, leading me to believe the US cars don’t have this feature.

2. One of my steering wheel buttons is sticky. I have to pry in order to depress it, after pressing it down. I suppose it may “break in”, but perhaps the sooner I work with the dealership the better chance I have for a fix...

3. Break in. Do these turbo engines require an extended break-in period? Is it any different than a normally aspirated engine, if so?

Welcome and congrats, HotDowge!

Addressing #3, no extended break-in required.  But first oil change, as with N/A engines, is recommended within the first 1-3000 miles.  After that you can choose to trust the IOLM if you like.  And highly recommend only using full synthetic with boosted engines, more important than with N/A engines.  Keeps the engine cleaner, running smoother over the longterm.

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Welcome and congrats, HotDowge!

Addressing #3, no extended break-in required.  But first oil change, as with N/A engines, is recommended within the first 1-3000 miles.  After that you can choose to trust the IOLM if you like.  And highly recommend only using full synthetic with boosted engines, more important than with N/A engines.  Keeps the engine cleaner, running smoother over the longterm.

Thanks for the heads up! Will ensure my maintenance plan is put to good use :)

@HotDowge

#1: there is no way to enable or disable them, they should be working by default. The best way to see them working, from my experience on my left MKX, is to startup the car at night in front of a wall with the headlights on, they should be clearly moving left & right (or vice versa). It is standard on the 401a package, from the description in the order guide it is "Adaptive LED Headlamps with LED Amber Light Blade Turn Signals", so do you have the LED front Amber blade turn signals?

#2: probably needs a cleaning, but don't worry about & let the warranty take care of it. 

#3: probably best to go like what @WWWPerfA_ZN0W stated above. 

19 minutes ago, omar302 said:

@HotDowge

#1: there is no way to enable or disable them, they should be working by default. The best way to see them working, from my experience on my left MKX, is to startup the car at night in front of a wall with the headlights on, they should be clearly moving left & right (or vice versa). It is standard on the 401a package, from the description in the order guide it is "Adaptive LED Headlamps with LED Amber Light Blade Turn Signals", so do you have the LED front Amber blade turn signals?

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

There are many reports of MKX owners with the "adaptive LEDs" saying they don't do a light sweep ever (including startup).   The LEDs don't move like the HIDs do - they're supposed to just turn on different elements that point to the sides. 

Thanks guys. I did perform an extensive test last night, including starting the car facing a light-colored wall (garage door) and actual driving along a windy road with no street lights. I did not notice any flashes/movement/etc from the headlights. It’s possible that it is extremely subtle and I just can’t notice it, but if so what’s the point? I’ll try again tonight to confirm.

9 minutes ago, HotDowge said:

Thanks guys. I did perform an extensive test last night, including starting the car facing a light-colored wall (garage door) and actual driving along a windy road with no street lights. I did not notice any flashes/movement/etc from the headlights. It’s possible that it is extremely subtle and I just can’t notice it, but if so what’s the point? I’ll try again tonight to confirm.

The headlight start-up test is subtle but noticeable. If you're facing the wall and turning the steering left to right, you should see the headlights move in the same direction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HotDowge said:

I’ve had my blue ST for less than 48 hours after seeing it on the lot from a simple walk-in with no reservations (guess I was lucky). Coming from a 2007 Accord. The only thing I’m second-guessing is the maintenance plan and extended warranty (the dealer sold me MPP and not a Ford Warranty). There is so much tech on this thing that I’m seriously overwhelmed!

Several questions:

1. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to enable these “adaptive LED Headlights”. I have the 401A package, but apparently no dynamic headlights. Any ideas? I tried enabling/disabling automatic headlights, fog lights, high-beams, etc. no different. I don’t even see a calibration  during start-up, leading me to believe the US cars don’t have this feature.

2. One of my steering wheel buttons is sticky. I have to pry in order to depress it, after pressing it down. I suppose it may “break in”, but perhaps the sooner I work with the dealership the better chance I have for a fix...

3. Break in. Do these turbo engines require an extended break-in period? Is it any different than a normally aspirated engine, if so?

Congratulations on your new Edge ST. You'll love it once you get some miles on it.

1. My ST does not have the Adaptive LED headlights either. The window sticker says: Headlamps-Auto Bi-LED, Headlamps-Auto high-beam, Headlamps-Wiper activated

If it were installed, you would see the option to turn them on or off in vehicle settings within the lighting section. Refer to pages 84-85 and page 107 in the owner's manual.

For those who wonder if there's a self test at startup, there is. You also need to have your exterior lights switched to auto headlight mode on the dash.

2. Check to see if food or soda got wedged between the buttons. Can you get an air can to blow out anything in there? Toothpick?

3. The owner's manual suggests driving 1000 miles before towing. Mentions to avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles. Vary your speed and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. 

Also states to break in the tires for 300 miles. See page 254 in the manual.

7 hours ago, blitz118 said:

The headlight start-up test is subtle but noticeable. If you're facing the wall and turning the steering left to right, you should see the headlights move in the same direction.

@blitz118, can you confirm that you have a US model vehicle? I've heard elsewhere that US models don't have this feature (even though the website + manual suggest it as part of the 401A package).

3 hours ago, bmwta said:

Congratulations on your new Edge ST. You'll love it once you get some miles on it.

1. My ST does not have the Adaptive LED headlights either. The window sticker says: Headlamps-Auto Bi-LED, Headlamps-Auto high-beam, Headlamps-Wiper activated

If it were installed, you would see the option to turn them on or off in vehicle settings within the lighting section. Refer to pages 84-85 and page 107 in the owner's manual.

For those who wonder if there's a self test at startup, there is. You also need to have your exterior lights switched to auto headlight mode on the dash.

2. Check to see if food or soda got wedged between the buttons. Can you get an air can to blow out anything in there? Toothpick?

3. The owner's manual suggests driving 1000 miles before towing. Mentions to avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles. Vary your speed and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. 

Also states to break in the tires for 300 miles. See page 254 in the manual.

Thanks @bmwta.

1. I suppose it's possible US cars don't get this feature. If not, no big deal; I just wanted to run the car through its paces to make sure everything works as I understand them.
  2. The car is brand new, but I'll try some compressed air to see if there is something wedged between the bezel and the button housing.
  3. That sounds about right from my experience, thought I've never owned a Turbo-ed vehicle before (except for an early 90's RX-7, but that was used).

1 hour ago, eaglesnick said:

So adaptive headlights are not installed on the STs in the US?  I have been trying to figure out why I don't have this feature on my car since I picked it up.

The adaptive LED headlights come with the 401A package in the US. Does your Edge have the 401A package?

Edited by blitz118