New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

20 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I'd lean more to a defect that lead to a cascading chain of failures but either way, Ford should step up and do the right thing and replace that vehicle without a fuss. Just my 2 cents.

It's possible - maybe it overheated?  Can't think of anything else that would take out the engine oil seals and ptu coolant seals at the same time.

I was thinking more of an environmental issue with the engine at the factory.  But who knows.

I agree that Ford should just replace the vehicle no questions asked.

6 minutes ago, HotDowge said:

Quick aside: What psi are people using for their 21” tires? The car came with 40psi, but the phone app says 35psi is recommended. However, I’m not sure if the app is smart enough to know my vehicle has 18, 20, or 21 inch rims.

A quick check online ranges from 35-45!

Don't go by the app or anything online.   There is a sticker in the driver's door jamb that tells you the correct pressure for your vehicle.  I think it is 35 but you can normally run anywhere from 35-40 usually with no issues.  If you run higher than 37 keep an eye on tire wear.

• Like 1

Hey guys and gals. I'm new here. Just got my first Ford ever in the ST. LOVE IT! Been a Nissan Murano owner since beginning. 

Say I was wondering is there anyway to get the heated steering wheel option to the main climate screen? There is a space on that screen that would make sense for it but it is buried in the other options screen for some reason. Or is there a voice command that works? Hopefully a software update may change this as well. Thanks for the help.

3 hours ago, Ryno99 said:

Hey guys and gals. I'm new here. Just got my first Ford ever in the ST. LOVE IT! Been a Nissan Murano owner since beginning. 

Say I was wondering is there anyway to get the heated steering wheel option to the main climate screen? There is a space on that screen that would make sense for it but it is buried in the other options screen for some reason. Or is there a voice command that works? Hopefully a software update may change this as well. Thanks for the help.

It can look like this with FORScan (or your dealer doing it... apparently some dealers do this by default).

Heated Seats Wheel.png

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, bobyellow said:

It can look like this with FORScan (or your dealer doing it... apparently some dealers do this by default).

Heated Seats Wheel.png

You can get a screen similar to this picture by shutting off the audio system by pushing on the volume dial. Once you shut it down, the heated steering wheel icon is displayed to turn on or off. Not as convenient as the prior 2015-2018 versions, but is a different way to get to it.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:36 AM, akirby said:

Don't go by the app or anything online.   There is a sticker in the driver's door jamb that tells you the correct pressure for your vehicle.  I think it is 35 but you can normally run anywhere from 35-40 usually with no issues.  If you run higher than 37 keep an eye on tire wear.

Ah, yes, pretty obvious, thanks :)  as expected the sticker suggests 35psi. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, MrHappy said:

I'd lean more to a defect that lead to a cascading chain of failures but either way, Ford should step up and do the right thing and replace that vehicle without a fuss. Just my 2 cents.

Update: 12/7/2018: It is now Day 31. The 3 defects identified have not changed, but the understanding of "All parts are in"; "Parts are on order"; and "Parts are backordered" have occurred several times. I'm really not sure what remains to be done, but from the best I can gather from the Service Advisor, they are awaiting a "rear main cover" for the rear main oil seal leak.

The Service Advisor did state the following (I have no idea how valid this statement is out the Edge ST): "6 other cars in the U.S are having the same issue …". He further stated "... tech is now waiting for the rear main cover, should be within a few days, was on back order, this issue with these cars was brand new, new labor time involved, new parts issues involved …".

Something I learned about the Lemon Law from an initial discussion with an attorney, is that the "cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days" period (which is statute in New York State) is not absolute. Meaning, any days spent by a dealership waiting on parts does not count toward the 30 day minimum cumulative total. For example, if the number of days totaled eight (8) days waiting for parts, the total cumulative amount of time that the car would need to be out of service would be 38 days to qualify under these definition. I read closely the New York State Attorney General's Q&A document, and it states nothing about this being a hard fact. It does, however, state that "You or the manufacturer may rebut this ... that 30 days out-of-service due to repairs, is reasonable under the circumstances". I can see where a party would use this statement to their advantage.

There has to be a "reasonableness" standard applied along the way, and with 3 concurrent manufacturing defects (two of which directly involve serious repairs to the engine and the drivetrain (PTU)), on a brand new vehicle with 520 miles that was driven just 9 days by the owner, the number of days for backordered parts seems to be a potential "escape" mechanism. Pursuant to the key "substantial impairment of value" legal argument, it would seem that the lemon law was created to protect consumers (such as us) in the event they receive a "lemon" of a vehicle. By any sane view from a customer perspective, we must be meeting the intent of the lemon law, don't you think?

I sincerely wish all of you Edge ST owners do not have to go through what my wife is going through. Please enjoy your Edge ST's. It really is such a nice vehicle - just not for us.

• Like 1

Call Ford and let them know the situation. They denied my first claim because I was on day 27 but I called again a week later and they accepted the buyback process. Don't call the dealership, call this number and ask for a supervisor (800) 392-3673. They will direct you and begin the buyback. Once confirmed, they will start the process. It took over 2 months for me but Ford bought back the Mustang and got me into an Edge ST. I didn't have to talk to an attorney for my buyback. 

• Like 1

mwilson…..I am starting to wonder if this series of defects is why my ST produced Oct. 16 is still sitting in Oakville with no information forthcoming on why it is still sitting there or as they say as of Oct. 25 "in production"!!  More like "re-production" or "re-engineering"!!  Not Funny for sure!!  If there are 6 other ones out there then likely a design flaw.  But then this engine has been used in F-150 for several years and should be error proof except for this new (9) 8 speed transverse transmission that was co-designed with GM and then Ford toward the end said they did not like it so went on their own.  And unless I read wrong or report was wrong there are two 8 speed trans, one for 2.0 and other for 2.7 ST. 

The 2.0l uses the new 8 speed (gm 9 speed with one gear removed). The 2.7l uses a revamped 6 speed developed back in 2002 with gm but with 2 gears added, guessing its a revision of the 6 speed we all know in previous edges. 

There is also supposedly another one yet that is smaller and for low torque uses. 

Edited by Perblue

13 minutes ago, CBRad said:

@dacforrd @mwilson6192 - Just wondering how close your vehicle invoice numbers on the window sticker is. If it was an incorrect assembly or part with the 6 identified vehicles?

Our Edge ST was built on 9/4/18 - the first day of 2019 Edge <any model> production as I understand it.

@dacford's Edge ST was built on 10/16 … so well over a month apart.

Fingernip...Thanks for that fleet link!  Supposedly a "Supervisor" per Jimmy's suggestion will be calling me Monday morning, that will be interesting as previous general Ford contacts simply tell you to contact your dealer for info.  My dealer is small town and friendly and he shows me directly that they do not have any info as to why it still sits in Oakville, I just talked to them this afternoon again.  And as I have done locator on ST & Edge models around MN I find build dates after mine that are sitting on the lots for three weeks.   My dealer has (7) 19 Edge on lot and 8 in transit.  Mainly well equipped SEL AWD, none are ST.  Of those on the lot one is one serial number before mine and another is 3 serial number behind being built Oct. 29 & 30 respectively.  Normaly my dealer figures 4 to 5 weeks from build to delivery as I myself have past experienced.  

@dacford … I wish you the best. This has to be agonizing for you, with a new vehicle that has not left the manufacturing site. Hopefully you can find out exactly what is going on with your vehicle. I sincerely hope your vehicle is not experiencing the same issue as with our Edge ST, because if it is, the remediation required to fix these defects requires nearly the entire drivetrain and rear of the engine to be disassembled and then correspondingly rebuilt.

Hopefully it is something minor that, for whatever reason, is taking a long time to be addressed.

mwilson...Your issue is far more disgusting than mine!!  Hopefully FORD caught something on mine and that is why the delay but why not inform a person?!  Of course a number of the 15 - 16 Mustangs had drivetrain vibrations and Ford would not admit that; I purchased a one-piece aluminum driveshaft and installed it myself, end of problem without fighting Ford over it.  That Mustang is what I traded in on this ST last May.  My 2013 Edge 3.5 had slow water leak right from start; Ford said it was internal water pump and they did not have any in stock to repair.  It was a slow leak maybe 2 quarts per 3,000 miles.  So finally water pumps came in and tore it down; NOT the water pump!!  Took off the head on that side and found deep scratch all the way across the block deck so of course head gasket could not seal it.  They replaced the whole engine and dealer gave (no cost) me a new loaner car to drive the whole time it took to replace...3 weeks.  Ford said they neve seen anything like that before!!  HA!  Back to the ST, I guess the old adage always has been, "don't buy a new model anything for 6 to 12 months"!!

• Like 1

Update 12/14/2018: It is now Day 38. I just received an email from the dealer that the repairs are materially complete. They stated that the repairs have been completed with "no leaks, no issues", but want to let the vehicle sit and re-test drive the Edge early next week.

I anticipate a Tuesday, 12/18 return of the vehicle, which will total 42 days.

I have chosen to seek legal counsel over going with any arbitration method (at this point anyway - including going through Ford arbitration as was suggested by some forum members). We were advised by an acquaintance of my wife (who is an attorney but cannot take our case his firm represents dealers in the area) that it was "highly advisable" in New York State to seek legal representation on lemon law cases. We are having serious issues with finding someone locally who will even entertain a "lemon law" case, as the multiple recommendations we received regarding attorneys all have said "I pass". It would seem that in our region of the state that lemon law cases are rare; highly specialized; and not worth the time of an attorney in terms of return on their time (and therefore $$$). I did manage to find one attorney locally who seems very lukewarm with our situation and does not seem to want to advocate for us. So, the next hurdle (which I did not anticipate) is to find representation from someone who actually will represent us in a lemon law case.

What a nightmare this has been! Anybody want to buy/trade an almost new 2019 Ford Edge ST that was used for 9 total days and has 520 miles on the odometer? ?

I would google lemon law attorneys because you don't have to find one locally. I was talking to one in Georgia (I live in Tennessee). Remember, most of them get paid from the manufacture and won't cost you anything. Luckily you have no miles on your vehicle so they won't be charging you much for mileage. It would have cost me over 3k since I had 10k miles on my car but since I dealt with Ford directly, they waived the fee since I've been waiting for so long. Your situation would be better with an attorney because of the low miles and you don't have to worry about the hassle. Hopefully you get yours handled faster than I did. It took me about 3 months altogether.

1 hour ago, mwilson6192 said:

Update 12/14/2018: It is now Day 38. I just received an email from the dealer that the repairs are materially complete. They stated that the repairs have been completed with "no leaks, no issues", but want to let the vehicle sit and re-test drive the Edge early next week.

I anticipate a Tuesday, 12/18 return of the vehicle, which will total 42 days.

I have chosen to seek legal counsel over going with any arbitration method (at this point anyway - including going through Ford arbitration as was suggested by some forum members). We were advised by an acquaintance of my wife (who is an attorney but cannot take our case his firm represents dealers in the area) that it was "highly advisable" in New York State to seek legal representation on lemon law cases. We are having serious issues with finding someone locally who will even entertain a "lemon law" case, as the multiple recommendations we received regarding attorneys all have said "I pass". It would seem that in our region of the state that lemon law cases are rare; highly specialized; and not worth the time of an attorney in terms of return on their time (and therefore $$$). I did manage to find one attorney locally who seems very lukewarm with our situation and does not seem to want to advocate for us. So, the next hurdle (which I did not anticipate) is to find representation from someone who actually will represent us in a lemon law case.

What a nightmare this has been! Anybody want to buy/trade an almost new 2019 Ford Edge ST that was used for 9 total days and has 520 miles on the odometer? ?

You want to lemon law it because they had it over 30 days and you don't want it anymore? Did you buy it or lease it?

13 minutes ago, blitz118 said:

You want to lemon law it because they had it over 30 days and you don't want it anymore? Did you buy it or lease it?

We bought this vehicle. It isn't about the number of days that the vehicle was in repair (that is the main qualifier for a potential lemon law case). Rather, it is the sheer number and severity of the defects (3 concurrent powertrain defects) that gives rise to a more than reasonable concern about the viability and reliability of the vehicle in the years to come.