New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

30days is little. My Sport has spent 7 months total in the shop trying to figure out why transmission was leaking after service writer said it was fixed on 3 different occasions, with one 3 month stay and one 2 month stay. Wanted to Lemon it, but couldn't because of time/mileage. GM of dealership ended up firing service writer and wrote my wife a check for 3 car payments and after that only one particular person was allowed to handle my car.

Update 12/19/2018:  My wife finally received her repaired Edge ST yesterday late evening. This was a 42 day repair.

Final diagnosis:  1) Verified coolant leak from the coolant block on the PTU. 2) Verified rear main seal oil leak. Both were identified as "Assembly" defects and were fully covered under warranty.

The parts list is long, the labor hours to complete was very large as well. There was a leaking half shaft seal that was the third defect, but probably got lost as a separate diagnosis as they had to pull both CV half shafts anyway as the transmission had to be removed to access the rear main oil seal. Basically, the entire powertrain was negatively impacted, and much of it had to be removed to effect repairs (basically only the engine and rear differential were not removed). Total parts that were removed include the battery, wiper cowl assembly, steering shaft, manifold/catalytic converter, both CV half shafts, PTU, transmission, connecting exhaust, subframe, and some suspension components. That was what was identified on the repair order. 

We have not decided yet on any next steps, but the Edge ST seemed to drive well last night when bringing it home. We of course will monitor the vehicle for any subsequent leaks, driving issues, etc. Never been through something like this before, and I hope that I never experience this again.

2 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

Update 12/19/2018:  My wife finally received her repaired Edge ST yesterday late evening. This was a 42 day repair.

Final diagnosis:  1) Verified coolant leak from the coolant block on the PTU. 2) Verified rear main seal oil leak. Both were identified as "Assembly" defects and were fully covered under warranty.

The parts list is long, the labor hours to complete was very large as well. There was a leaking half shaft seal that was the third defect, but probably got lost as a separate diagnosis as they had to pull both CV half shafts anyway as the transmission had to be removed to access the rear main oil seal. Basically, the entire powertrain was negatively impacted, and much of it had to be removed to effect repairs (basically only the engine and rear differential were not removed). Total parts that were removed include the battery, wiper cowl assembly, steering shaft, manifold/catalytic converter, both CV half shafts, PTU, transmission, connecting exhaust, subframe, and some suspension components. That was what was identified on the repair order

We have not decided yet on any next steps, but the Edge ST seemed to drive well last night when bringing it home. We of course will monitor the vehicle for any subsequent leaks, driving issues, etc. Never been through something like this before, and I hope that I never experience this again.

I've been following your ST since you started having the issues. Glad you finally got the ST back at home & sorry about the issues, what a nightmare from the sounds of it! Isn't it crazy a couple of seals/leaks can cause so much needing to be removed to fix. One thing I did want to say, and I know you were mulling over your options.... I wouldn't be too concerned about those issues causing others down the road. Of course there are tons of variables, but coming from a family of mechanics, having to removal and reinstall doesn't normally cause quality/longevity issues down the road.... although I can certainly understand the apprehension when a new car has issues out of the gate that take a month to resolve. Hoping for your sake those are the only two issues you will run into for a few years! Will be interesting to see if those are common issues once a few more STs have been sold and are on the road. 

Either way, hope the wife is able to enjoy some wheel time :)

Yikes! I was out of the country and really hoping to see nothing but good news for you.  Glad you have the vehicle back and I truly wish you well with whatever you decide (lemon law or not).  You do have some time with that regard for what it's worth but hopefully it's the vehicle you anticipated from here on out!

6 hours ago, JCrew7384 said:

Not sure if the adaptive LED headlamps was resolved yet, but a car I was looking at today shows that it has adaptive headlamps: https://www.mitchellseligford.com/new/Ford/2019-Ford-Edge-Windsor,+CT-134e4be60a0e0ae73012ecebd6ec3d38.htm?searchDepth=1:1

That is the exact car I test drove. I ordered my car through that dealer and it should be in any day now. 

BAA8E704-D422-4B84-9539-4CF6460D445D.jpeg

Edited by Fingernip

On 12/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, mwilson6192 said:

The parts list is long, the labor hours to complete was very large as well. There was a leaking half shaft seal that was the third defect, but probably got lost as a separate diagnosis as they had to pull both CV half shafts anyway as the transmission had to be removed to access the rear main oil seal. Basically, the entire powertrain was negatively impacted, and much of it had to be removed to effect repairs (basically only the engine and rear differential were not removed). Total parts that were removed include the battery, wiper cowl assembly, steering shaft, manifold/catalytic converter, both CV half shafts, PTU, transmission, connecting exhaust, subframe, and some suspension components. That was what was identified on the repair order. 

How's the ST going, and have you decided the "next steps"?

The Edge ST seems to be running well. The only thing I can notice is that the brake pedal seems to require more travel to engage the brakes, and that it seems there is some level of drivetrain "lurch" when decelerating. But this is all from recollection, as my wife is the primary driver and I drove the Edge ST so little prior to the warranty service/issues. I can say there appear to be no leaks - but I have yet to crawl under the vehicle and check further.

Next steps are still outstanding. I have some research to complete to decide any further action.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:52 PM, Ryno99 said:

Hey guys and gals. I'm new here. Just got my first Ford ever in the ST. LOVE IT! Been a Nissan Murano owner since beginning. 

Say I was wondering is there anyway to get the heated steering wheel option to the main climate screen? There is a space on that screen that would make sense for it but it is buried in the other options screen for some reason. Or is there a voice command that works? Hopefully a software update may change this as well. Thanks for the help.

To get to the heated steering wheel button quickly and easily just hit the Home Button on your Sync 3 display.  The steering wheel button is right there under you phone info.  At least on mine it is.

2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

To get to the heated steering wheel button quickly and easily just hit the Home Button on your Sync 3 display.  The steering wheel button is right there under you phone info.  At least on mine it is.

The home screen button seems to be only on cars made in the later batches. That along with the simulated engine noise was changed later on. 

2 hours ago, Fingernip said:

The home screen button seems to be only on cars made in the later batches. That along with the simulated engine noise was changed later on. 

I have an early build 9-5-2018 and the heated steering wheel is on the home screen. I also have piped in engine sound in sport mode. 

Edited by blitz118

Early build 9-5-2019. No heated steering wheel and piped engine.

And the WORST  transmission of any Ford I have ever owned/driven (7th Ford vehicle). I cringe EVERY time I go from 0 to 40mph. I swear the shifting is getting worse with more miles (only 1,000 so far). Bad even slowing down, very jerky with hard shifts. 

Gear shift from 3 to 4th, there is 500RPM jump, then DROP of 800-900RPM. Car lurches with NO change to the depression of the gas pedal. I now try to time it so I can pull back on the gas pedal. 

If there is a slow acceleration, jump is 300PRM. If a high acceleration, jump is maybe as high as 700RPM, then falls. Not happy. Tried different gas (91, 89, 93).... with no noticeable change.

1 minute ago, bobyellow said:

And the WORST  transmission of any Ford I have ever owned/driven (7th Ford vehicle). I cringe EVERY time I go from 0 to 40mph. I swear the shifting is getting worse with more miles (only 1,000 so far). Bad even slowing down, very jerky with hard shifts. 

Gear shift from 3 to 4th, there is 500RPM jump, then DROP of 800-900RPM. Car lurches with NO change to the depression of the gas pedal. I now try to time it so I can pull back on the gas pedal. 

If there is a slow acceleration, jump is 300PRM. If a high acceleration, jump is maybe as high as 700RPM, then falls. Not happy. Tried different gas (91, 89, 93).... with no noticeable change.

That sucks a lot. Is it equally as bad in sport mode? I notice turbo spool in normal mode. It creates a surge in power over 2000rpm that can make it feel lurchy but I actually like it. It’s still shifts far better than my 2011 sport. In sport mode it is awesome since it holds gear to maintain 2000rpm min at all times. 

On 1/6/2019 at 9:00 PM, bobyellow said:

That is weird.  Mine shifts great in normal mode and sport mode.  Shifts smooth as glass in Normal D mode.  Much better than my dad's Escape 2.0 and my mom's MKC 2.3 6 speed ever could.  Even when driving it spiritedly, which I find myself doing quite a bit coming from a Focus ST I like to get up and go.  Maybe there is a program update for the transmission.  I get no jumps in RPM when it shifts. 

On 1/8/2019 at 5:11 PM, jamie1073 said:

That is weird.  Mine shifts great in normal mode and sport mode.  Shifts smooth as glass in Normal D mode.  Much better than my dad's Escape 2.0 and my mom's MKC 2.3 6 speed ever could.  Even when driving it spiritedly, which I find myself doing quite a bit coming from a Focus ST I like to get up and go.  Maybe there is a program update for the transmission.  I get no jumps in RPM when it shifts. 

Here is 2nd to 3rd (not great) and 3rd to 4th(jumps a lot). I think those are the gear shift points... had to trim to get it to upload.

I've been waiting to for a notice from Ford... will need to take to my dealer. I can reproduce EVERY time to 40. Even with cruise control on (so no foot on gas pedal).

Edited by bobyellow

11 minutes ago, bobyellow said:

Here is 2nd to 3rd (not great) and 3rd to 4th(jumps a lot). I think those are the gear shift points... had to trim to get it to upload.

I've been waiting to for a notice from Ford... will need to take to my dealer. I can reproduce EVERY time to 40. Even with cruise control on (so no foot on gas pedal).

Untitled.mov

Wow .. that seems like slippage. It definitely should not be doing that. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:40 AM, Fingernip said:

Wow .. that seems like slippage. It definitely should not be doing that. 

But why only slippage for 3rd to 4th? If I was low on trans fluid, wouldn't all shifts be rough? ... no real knowledge here... just wondering why only one gear. Torque converter related (still guessing).

Just now, bobyellow said:

But why only slippage for 3rd to 4th? If I was low on trans fluid, wouldn't all shifts be rough? ... no real knowledge here... just wondering why only one gear. Torque converter related (still guessing).

4th gear probably has its own clutch pack. 1st is typically a planetary gearset but the rest are clutch packs with friction plates sandwiched between. I would expect a trouble code though for an RPM flare that high in a 3-4 shift. It would normally go into limp more and display a check engine light. You definitely should have the dealer look into that because any slip is wear and accelerated failure. 

1 hour ago, bobyellow said:

I suspect this is due to you having an early build date, there were many reports about the transmission acting up and not shifting properly when the media was driving them, and Ford themselves said that they were still working on transmission tuning and it was not where they wanted it to be yet.

I would recommend going to the dealer and asking for a software update and see if that resolves the issue.