Takata Airbag recall is ending

enigma-2

Got a new recall notice in the mail yesterday, notifying me that my airbag is ready to be replaced and to call the dealer. Called the dealer and he told me that, Yes, they have airbags, and No, they do not have any that will fit my car. My car needs a particular assembly, consisting of air bag along with an instrument panel section that's color keyed to my vin.

Lincoln used all they had in stock for the cars registered in the hot, moist regions and are having new instrument panel assembles made to finish the rest of the unfixed cars. Local dealer said he had a list of 38 cars in the local area waiting on new instrument panel assemblies - mostly like mine - light sand, but some were different color).

Asked when, said "next year".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is what I found

Field Service Actions

Find or add a vehicle

We found the following field service action listed on your vehicle.

Last updated 01/20/2019

Field Service Action Items

•     FSA Title: TAKATA AIRBAG INFLATOR CLASS ACTION NON RECALLED VEHICLES
  •     Field Service Action Number: 19K02

The FSA shows that you are entitled to a loaner and reimbursement of some expenses in order to have the recall performed.

If your vehicle was still subject to the recall, there would be a separate notation showing a recall due.

If you are still in doubt, you can contact the service department at the dealer.  Certified vehicles should have any outstanding recalls done prior to being offered for sale, however I guess it is possible for one to slip through the cracks.  I would think even a non-certified used Ford, being sold at a Ford dealer, would have any outstanding recalls performed.

All 19K02 relates to is extended warranty on the airbag.  No need to contact dealer, make an appt, etc.

MILEAGE AND TIME LIMITS
If diagnostics have concluded that the airbag inflator is defective based on the previously outlined guidelines, inflator replacement is covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. At a minimum, coverage is also extended through September 5, 2020, regardless of mileage.

• Like 1