[rant warning] ST options in Canada. WTF are you thinking, Ford?

ben senise

The 2019 ST is finally on the ford.ca website.

The option packages are so friggin' ridiculous that it blows my mind.

for example, If you want to get the gloss black 21" wheels, which are shown as costing $950, they oblige you to add the 401A package at $5800!!!

I don't want navigation and i really don't want a sunroof nor most of the other stuff in that package nor do i want to add yet another 10%+ to the price of the car

And get this, the "Convenience Package" for $1000 on the ST is standard on the Titanium! So you need to pony up another grand to get some of the features I have on my 2016 Ti, namely the Perimeter Alarm, Hands-Free Foot-Activated Liftgate, and Universal Garage Door Opener.

and the only way to get the auto-dimming driver's side view mirror is to add the $5800 401A package as well.

i also will not buy a 4 cyl 2 liter turbo in that car which is the only option on anything other than the ST.

there are a few more winners here but as things stand today, it is crystal clear that my second edge, my 2016 Ti 3.5 AWD will be my last. that's really too bad because I was looking forward to this ST. This myopic money grabbing attitude of Ford has really put a sour taste in my mouth. Ford can stuff it as far as i'm concerned.

[end rant]

The ST is based on the SEL standard equipment, not the Titanium so that's why the convenience package is extra.

They simplified the ordering combinations so you get a Base ST 400A with a few stand alone options or a fully loaded 401A. It's better for the dealers and for shoppers who either want a fully loaded or minimally loaded ST but it sucks if you want to cherry pick a few options. They've done the same thing on the other trim levels.

As for the 2.0T - have you driven one or is it just a philosophical aversion to turbocharged engines? I'd much prefer a 2.0T over the 3.7L in our MKX.

• Like 1

We knew all of this months ago when the order and pricing guides were released.

The biggest piss off to me is the fact that we don't get the Performance Brakes package, period.

If it was the summer tires that were an issue for Canada, simply offer the rest of the package with All Seasons instead.

Nothing surprising here, was the same with 2016 Sports: 400A or 401A. The only thing I really wanted in the 401A was the heated steering wheel and that was going to cost me $5800 and I'd get a whole lot of stuff I didn't want. I bought new gloves instead.

This has been the case with Toyota for decades, two or three packages take em or leave em. Main reason I don't own a Tacoma: couldn't get heated seats in an Access Cab, only in the 4 door crew... which had the turning circle of a small battleship.

The ST is based on the SEL standard equipment, not the Titanium so that's why the convenience package is extra.

They simplified the ordering combinations so you get a Base ST 400A with a few stand alone options or a fully loaded 401A. It's better for the dealers and for shoppers who either want a fully loaded or minimally loaded ST but it sucks if you want to cherry pick a few options. They've done the same thing on the other trim levels.

As for the 2.0T - have you driven one or is it just a philosophical aversion to turbocharged engines? I'd much prefer a 2.0T over the 3.7L in our MKX.

it doesn't matter what the ST is based on. It matters that Ford has decided that this was a good idea. I understand not being able to cherry pick but i think they have taken it too far. wheels? those don't even have to be built into the car like a sunroof or adaptive cruise control.

i don't have an aversion to turbocharged engines. i have an aversion to four-cylinder engines in a car the size and weight of an edge. i drove the 2016 2 liter before buying my 3.5 and i just don't like the way they feel.

We knew all of this months ago when the order and pricing guides were released.

The biggest piss off to me is the fact that we don't get the Performance Brakes package, period.

If it was the summer tires that were an issue for Canada, simply offer the rest of the package with All Seasons instead.

i guess i didn't get that memo. yes, the brakes package are another pisser. i'm tired of being the poor cousin because i'm canadian in canada.

i saw that my ford dealer has a couple of 2019 edges. i'm going to go take a look at them and ask about trading in my 2016. when the sales person tells me about these restrictions, i'll tell them that there's no sale. if they get enough people doing that then maybe ford canada will change their tune.

• Like 1

Well, we don't matter very much because... we are peanuts in terms of the big picture. Oh well. Talk to the Aussies who no longer have auto manufacturing in their country. RIP Holden. In any event, wheels are the lest of your worries. I have for many years ignored what came with, used those for winter rims and bought aftermarket for what I really wanted as a look. We are fortunate to have a motorcycle gearhead in the Kootenay who does powder coating well for great prices. I got the 21"rims on my 2016 Sport in high gloss black for $280 Hudson Bay Pesos. Looks the biz.You'd have to go to the mainland but my Experience with Green's in Richmond has been very good. Great quality at descent pricing.

Edited by KLinNBC

if they get enough people doing that then maybe ford canada will change their tune.

Hey Ben, ...Ray from Invermere, B.C. Good luck with getting Ford to do anything. So bad news for you, but maybe good news for me, (I hope) if I can suck it up and live with the ugly 20 inch wheels, and with the 400a and add the cold weather package it just might work, I don't need Nav or any of the 401 stuff.

great to see so many canadians on this board, and in BC to boot!

Nothing surprising here, was the same with 2016 Sports: 400A or 401A. The only thing I really wanted in the 401A was the heated steering wheel and that was going to cost me $5800 and I'd get a whole lot of stuff I didn't want. I bought new gloves instead.

This has been the case with Toyota for decades, two or three packages take em or leave em. Main reason I don't own a Tacoma: couldn't get heated seats in an Access Cab, only in the 4 door crew... which had the turning circle of a small battleship.

are you saying the heated steering wheel was only available on the 2016 sport as part of the 401A package? it was the only option i got on my 2016 Ti. "Cold Weather Package" $250. these package deals are terrible. the combinations are ridiculous.

Well, we don't matter very much because... we are peanuts in terms of the big picture. Oh well. Talk to the Aussies who no longer have auto manufacturing in their country. RIP Holden. In any event, wheels are the lest of your worries. I have for many years ignored what came with, used those for winter rims and bought aftermarket for what I really wanted as a look. We are fortunate to have a motorcycle gearhead in the Kootenay who does powder coating well for great prices. I got the 21"rims on my 2016 Sport in high gloss black for $280 Hudson Bay Pesos. Looks the biz.You'd have to go to the mainland but my Experience with Green's in Richmond has been very good. Great quality at descent pricing.

i hear ya'. peanuts. thanks for the tip about Green's. Might check it out one day if i need it.

Hey Ben, ...Ray from Invermere, B.C. Good luck with getting Ford to do anything. So bad news for you, but maybe good news for me, (I hope) if I can suck it up and live with the ugly 20 inch wheels, and with the 400a and add the cold weather package it just might work, I don't need Nav or any of the 401 stuff.

it's not so much that i think the 20" wheels are ugly, i just like the other ones better. And frankly, it's the principle that ticks me off. Also, i use the hands-free lift gate and garage door opener all the time. I don't want to do without them. I can do without all the other stuff even if i wouldn't mind a few of the options.

All in all, i'd have to get three options to get what i want; cold weather, cargo, and convenience, so only $1900 more but still. I don't like being forced into things that i don't want. oh well, rant over. i got it out of my system. 2019 isn't going to be the year of the ST for me. let's see what happens in 2020!

for example, If you want to get the gloss black 21" wheels, which are shown as costing $950, they oblige you to add the 401A package at $5800!!!

I don't want navigation and i really don't want a sunroof nor most of the other stuff in that package nor do i want to add yet another 10%+ to the price of the car

And get this, the "Convenience Package" for $1000 on the ST is standard on the Titanium! So you need to pony up another grand to get some of the features I have on my 2016 Ti, namely the Perimeter Alarm, Hands-Free Foot-Activated Liftgate, and Universal Garage Door Opener.

Maybe it is just the way you worded it but the convenience package is actually included in the 401a package. I personally have no use for a garage door opener, no garage, don't care about lift gate and the perimeter alarm is useless unless you are in the habit of parking with your windows rolled down and doors locked.

Packages whether it involves tv, insurance, cars, etc are all the same no one is going to use or like/want all the options.

Just a quick question here and maybe I am totally ignorant on this, but... is it possible these days to do a special order and order a base model then pick and choose which options you want? Can that even be done anymore? I suppose a dealer might be ticked off if you asked to do it but hey, Mr. Dealer - you wanna' sell a car or not?

• Like 1

No I tried really hard to order mine with the brake package, my dealer investigated it for me as soon as they received their dealer order forms and the package wasn't listed. Then when the US website listed it and there was a package code they looked into if that could be specially added, we received an email directly from ford saying there was no way for it to be ordered with it and it was not going to be offered with it in canada. So unfortunately it's just not an option if they aren't willing to add on some calipers, pads and a brushless fan onto a canada edge I can't see them willing to do anything anymore complex than that.

Just a quick question here and maybe I am totally ignorant on this, but... is it possible these days to do a special order and order a base model then pick and choose which options you want? Can that even be done anymore? I suppose a dealer might be ticked off if you asked to do it but hey, Mr. Dealer - you wanna' sell a car or not?

Not possible for a long time.

I agree, Ford's packages are ridiculous, but still better than japanese or korean where there are only few trim levels available and anything extra can't be ordered...

No I tried really hard to order mine with the brake package, my dealer investigated it for me as soon as they received their dealer order forms and the package wasn't listed. Then when the US website listed it and there was a package code they looked into if that could be specially added, we received an email directly from ford saying there was no way for it to be ordered with it and it was not going to be offered with it in canada. So unfortunately it's just not an option if they aren't willing to add on some calipers, pads and a brushless fan onto a canada edge I can't see them willing to do anything anymore complex than that.

In the meantime all the Edges are built in Canada...

Performance brake packages tend to not work so well in the cold. Seems likely Ford decided not to offer it in Canada because it wouldn't work well.

As for the packages, you have to remember that Ford is a mass-market manufacturer and trying to sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Allowing millions of different combinations as they used to is very inefficient and drives cost into the system. So while you might think it's a "money grab", it's really just a way to try to keep the prices down.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 1

I am in the US but I got the base and added everything I want and it was much cheaper than going with the 401A. I figure wheels and brake upgrades are something I would rather go aftermarket anyway. Sticker was at around 47k before negotiating and incentives.

• 245/50R20 All-Season (A/S) BSW Tires
  • Magnetic Metallic
  • 20" Bright-Machined Aluminum with High Gloss Black-Painted Pocket Wheels
  • Wireless Charging Pad
  • 123 < ----- What the heck is this?
  • Rain-Sensing Wipers
  • Remote Start System
  • LED Signature Daytime Running Lamps
  • Panoramic Vista Roof
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column with Memory
  • Lane-Keeping System
  • Floor Liners, Front and Rear
  • Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
  • Heated Front Seats
  • 110V/150W AC Power Outlet
  • Universal Garage Door Opener
  • BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert and Auto-Dimming Driver's Sideview Mirror
  • Evasive Steering Assist
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering
  • Perimeter Alarm
  • Windshield Wiper De-Icer
  • Hands-Free, Foot-Activated Liftgate
  • 400A
  • Convenience Package
  • Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist Plus™ Package
  • Class II Trailer Tow Package with Trailer Sway Control
  • Cold Weather Package

Absolutely not. I don't think you've ever been able to do that - at least not in the last 30+ years. And it's not the dealer, it's Ford.

Let me clarify that - in some cases there are stand alone options that can be ordered on a base model (F150 has quite a few) but you can only order the options that Ford allows. If they decide to bundle 15 things you either get the bundle or you don't - you can't cherrypick.

I don't think people understand the impact to dealers of having millions of orderable combinations. Dealers have to stock a certain number of vehicles and having dozens of options and option packages presents a problem.

When were were looking for our MKX we could not find exactly what we wanted in dealer stock within 100 miles because even on the MKX reserve there were 5 or so option packages and most dealers did not order their stock with all 5. So we either did without the technology package or waited 8 weeks to special order.

At least now if you want a loaded ST you just have to look for the 401A package. I realize it's not quite as convenient for buyers who want to cherry pick but in the long run it's better for Ford and Ford dealers and makes it a little easier to find something in stock.

Unfortunately, the Canadian market is pretty close to one tenth that of the US so it doesn't get as much attention. Add that to the fact that they already have to build Canadian vehicles differently (metric instruments, mandatory DRLs, etc.) and you end up with fewer option choices because the economics of scale doesn't apply as well. In other words, if you look at Canadian vehicles as a separate model of Edge and its sales will be only 10% of the North American market, additional customization beyond the four trim levels and two major packages becomes less profitable.

Also, i use the hands-free lift gate and garage door opener all the time. I don't want to do without them, i'd have to get three options to get what i want; cold weather, cargo, and convenience.

Well no, or well,......maybe ? There is a confusing conflict in the "build your own" for the ST, it reads like the hands free lift gate is only part of the convenience group, but if you build it with out that option it shows in the summary as included? I think (scary) that it is included, to build two models with and with out would cost more then just building all with it.

Packages

400A

Class II Trailer Tow Package with Trailer Sway Control

$500.00 Cold Weather Package

Exterior

$020-inch Bright-Machined Aluminum with High Gloss Black-Painted Pocket Wheels

$0Hands-Free, Foot-Activated Liftgate

$0Windshield Wiper De-Icer

$0Rain-Sensing Wipers

$0Engine Block Heater

$0Auto Start-Stop

$0Remote Start System

$0BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert

$0Lane-Keeping System

$0P245/50R20 All-Season (A/S) BSW

The hands free foot operated liftgate is available with the convenience package on the SEL and ST base 400A. It is standard on the Titanium and the ST 401A.

Are you sure? Tell me where I went wrong. Did you look at the Canadian build site? If I build a 400A it shows hands free foot operated lift-gate as included without the convenience option . Aren't you the guy that told me I could have the 21" wheels are as a stand alone option on the 400A ? Not happening. (JUST KIDDING HERE). ;) (wink)

Performance brake packages tend to not work so well in the cold. Seems likely Ford decided not to offer it in Canada because it wouldn't work well.

It's bigger rotors on front and different pads, not like we are talking carbon ceramic rotors. Fords direct and only reason was summer only tires. For some reason they still put it in their marketing material pics though for us. It does suck we are low priority, we buy fewer vehicles than florida does alone. Oh well like others Ill just go aftermarket.

I get not having a check list like McLaren or other high end manufacturers.