Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Option for Edge Sport (2016-2018)

snmjim

Just purchased a 2017 Ford Edge Titanium 2.0L.  Aside from pulling off the wheel and measuring, is there a way to tell if I have the 316mm or the 345mm brakes?

I was going to try researching on rockauto.com but couldn't find anything that answered the question.

Edited by bjjnbbq
rewording for clarification

1 hour ago, bjjnbbq said:

Just purchased a 2017 Ford Edge Titanium 2.0L.  Aside from pulling off the wheel and measuring, is there a way to tell if I have the 316mm or the 345mm brakes?

I was going to try researching on rockauto.com but couldn't find anything that answered the question.

call ford, give them your VIN and they will tell you.

Welcome to the forums btw

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Special_K said:

call ford, give them your VIN and they will tell you.

Welcome to the forums btw

called the local Ford dealership and talked to the Parts department.  They weren't able to pull up anything based on the VIN. :( 

Thx for the suggestion but it sounds like my only option is to measure it.

7 hours ago, bjjnbbq said:

called the local Ford dealership and talked to the Parts department.  They weren't able to pull up anything based on the VIN. :( 

Thx for the suggestion but it sounds like my only option is to measure it.

They should give you corresponding part number for the rotor. From the part umber you'd be able to know which size you have. From here, it looks E1GZ-1125-F is 17" (smaller size) and K2GZ-1125-B is 18" (the bigger size).

Also, if you register on http://www.etis.ford.com/, you can check with your VIN, Vehicle Summar, Minor Features, it should list something like "Brake Disc 18 Fr Vent/17 Sol Rear"

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, omar302 said:

They should give you corresponding part number for the rotor. From the part umber you'd be able to know which size you have. From here, it looks E1GZ-1125-F is 17" (smaller size) and K2GZ-1125-B is 18" (the bigger size).

Also, if you register on http://www.etis.ford.com/, you can check with your VIN, Vehicle Summar, Minor Features, it should list something like "Brake Disc 18 Fr Vent/17 Sol Rear"

great thx, this was helpful!

3 hours ago, 1004ron said:

I had to search for the use of the word "shilled" and still not sure if its a good or bad thing.

lol - I had the exact same reaction/thought!

fwiw I installed Powerstop brakes on my 2012 Sonata and 2001 F150 and love them on both vehicles.  Installing them tomorrow on my 2010 Suburban.

• Like 3

Shill is a bad thing.  It's people claiming something is great, when it's really not.   

I'm not going to say anything bad about them since- lawyers and all that, but lets put it this way-  you'll never see a mechanic using Powerstop brake parts unless a customer brings them in.  They can get better parts for less.  

You can have a good experience with cheap brakes, but better brakes are quieter, smoother, don't grunt in the rain, work better in temp extremes, etc.  It's a slight improvement, but it is there.

Edited by IWRBB

7 hours ago, IWRBB said:

Shill is a bad thing.  It's people claiming something is great, when it's really not.   

I'm not going to say anything bad about them since- lawyers and all that, but lets put it this way-  you'll never see a mechanic using Powerstop brake parts unless a customer brings them in.  They can get better parts for less.  

You can have a good experience with cheap brakes, but better brakes are quieter, smoother, don't grunt in the rain, work better in temp extremes, etc.  It's a slight improvement, but it is there.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, right or wrong.

I've become familiar with the OP  @snmjim on this forum, enough to establish the opinion that he's a suitably qualified and experienced auto enthusiast for me to trust his product opinion and review.

This was confirmed by myself when installing the product and after 3 months in service.

Come now, you can't hide behind the fear of law suits - you know that there's no way that you're at risk of that on this forum - maybe @akirby and put you at ease, and allow you to explain what you consider bad about this product.

What brake kits do you consider better than the Powerstop and cost less?

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2019 at 4:18 PM, 1004ron said:

We're all entitled to our own opinions, right or wrong.

I've become familiar with the OP  @snmjim on this forum, enough to establish the opinion that he's a suitably qualified and experienced auto enthusiast for me to trust his product opinion and review.

This was confirmed by myself when installing the product and after 3 months in service.

Come now, you can't hide behind the fear of law suits - you know that there's no way that you're at risk of that on this forum - maybe @akirby and put you at ease, and allow you to explain what you consider bad about this product.

What brake kits do you consider better than the Powerstop and cost less?

You do have to worry about lawsuits. Anyone can sue anyone at anytime for anything.  Powerstop is a force on the internet, they might sue someone who is disparaging of their products.  So I'm not going to say anything bad about them.   I will say they couldn't get a caliper to my friend after 3 shipping attempts.  Damaged and/or wrong parts each time.  

As for what I buy- I don't buy "kits".  I buy two rotors and a set of pads.  They are typically not made by the same company. I have used the top end Wagner, Raybestos, and Centric parts for years without issue.   

IMO, Centric sells the best brake parts for your money right now.  I would have said Raybestos 5 years back, but the mechanics are going with Centric parts more and more.  Less comebacks for noise and vibrations from what the parts suppliers tell me.    

Have at it with the Powerstop brakes if you want though- it's no skin off my back.  

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IWRBB said:

You do have to worry about lawsuits. Anyone can sue anyone at anytime for anything.  Powerstop is a force on the internet, they might sue someone who is disparaging of their products.  So I'm not going to say anything bad about them.   I will say they couldn't get a caliper to my friend after 3 shipping attempts.  Damaged and/or wrong parts each time.  

As for what I buy- I don't buy "kits".  I buy two rotors and a set of pads.  They are typically not made by the same company. I have used the top end Wagner, Raybestos, and Centric parts for years without issue.   

IMO, Centric sells the best brake parts for your money right now.  I would have said Raybestos 5 years back, but the mechanics are going with Centric parts more and more.  Less comebacks for noise and vibrations from what the parts suppliers tell me.    

Have at it with the Powerstop brakes if you want though- it's no skin off my back.  

Reviews , positive and negative, play a role in my product selection, and its pretty easy to spot fake reviews - your negative review will not factor in my decision making.

If you could present something meaningful regarding the product discussed in this thread, I might consider.

If leaving negative reviews was illegal, as you imply, places like Amazon would not exist, they'd be fighting lawsuits on behalf of all their customers that left negative reviews.

Claiming fear of a lawsuit for anonymous criticism on a public forum, is an indication that you really don't have anything meaningful. 

Summons issued to Mr.IWRBB residing at location/region "Decline".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, IWRBB said:

Whatever floats your boat dude.  If you want Powerstop brake parts on your vehicle, go for it!

I've done my research and have hands on experience with the brands discussed here.  I gave you my input, if you choose to ignore it, so be it.  

Got it, no valuable contribution to make.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 9:47 AM, snmjim said:

If you feel you don't need the exotic calibers & rotors & pads that Xtra & Root have on their Sports but feel your braking system has the caliber pressure/power you require but with better pads & rotors it would be all you need then try the Power Stop Pad & Rotor kit #K7231

Comes with pads, rotors and all replacement hardware for all four wheels.

I purchased mine from www.rockauto.com for under $300. after the Rock Auto discount & PowerStop rebate... :thumbsup:

post-46284-0-62337400-1541004229_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-53923500-1541004245_thumb.jpg

My experience with Stop Tech slotted rotors on my '12 Acura TL has not been good. I bought their pads and both front and rear rotors, but the rotor slots created pulsing sensations when braking. They fronts also wore out very quickly and the rears warped to the point where the first pad change required all new rotors as none of the 4 could be turned. I went with non-slotted Akebono rotors all around with Hawk LTS semi-metallic pads and am extremely happy with smooth powerful braking, low wear and so far no warpage. The only downside is, of course, increased brake dust, but that is far less important to me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

7 Months and 9K mile update.

When braking at speeds 40 mph and below there's a faint growl and light vibration which changes as the speed peels off and it comes to a stop - not bad enough to make me want to rush out and buy new brakes.

The original rotors were definitely warped based on the lower frequency vibration when braking at speeds 60+ mph, but were smooth at lower speed.

My wife's 2015 Mustang with the original solid rotors is smooth at all times, so might go back to solid rotors next time.

Edit:

Sent an information request to Power Stop and within a day they responded by email and called, offering a new replacement kit.

Edited by 1004ron

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...