Ford Edge RS

robertlane

Rumors have been ripe for a few months now about the appearance of a future Ford Edge RS.  Does it seem probable or likely? Yes.  Now that Ford is drifting into the crossover market heavily, it's extremely likely that we will seen an Edge RS.

According to people in Dearborn, and Edge RS may not happen until the next redesign.

Thoughts on an Edge RS?

• Like 1

If it is the next generation Edge the G3 that has the RS badge they might as well put the 3.5L EcoBoost in it.  If it is the G2 Edge that carries the RS  then use a variation of the the Lincoln 3.0L TT.  It will need well over 400HP to honor the RS name I would hope for closer to 450hp, any less and the magazines will pan it as nothing more than a marketing gimmick. If Ford makes a true hot rod RS Edge I will be very interested in owning one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Wouldn't be suprised if the RS is a hybrid powerplant of some sort.  Diminishing numbers of pure combustion engines remaining in the top ranks as time marches on.

As 48 volt systems come on line the starter motor could transform and become a starter/ alternator /  power adder and could add 25 to 40 HP on demand.  And electric assist turbos will make boost more like a supercharger. So many ways to make cars better by just moving to a 48volt system. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 037 said:

G2 platform can't handle 400hp without reworking the suspension. 

Also, tuned 2.7 is already pushing 400hp and over 450 torque. 

Why pay 60k as opposed to 2k for tune plus mods to hold tires down. 

Mine is handling well past that & doing fine.

Totally agree & support your points!

• Like 2

On 11/7/2018 at 5:52 PM, Xtra said:

If it is the next generation Edge the G3 that has the RS badge they might as well put the 3.5L EcoBoost in it.  If it is the G2 Edge that carries the RS  then use a variation of the the Lincoln 3.0L TT.  It will need well over 400HP to honor the RS name I would hope for closer to 450hp, any less and the magazines will pan it as nothing more than a marketing gimmick. If Ford makes a true hot rod RS Edge I will be very interested in owning one.

Soo looking Fwd to having one...

for lunch...lol

Edited by snmjim
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

After thinking about this I realized that with a limited special build RS Edge, Ford has an opportunity to build an awesome world class car.  An RS Edge should be road race track worthy. That said it means lots of cooling on the Transmission, Rear End, Transfer case, Oil, Brakes and Intercooler. You should be able to run lap after hot lap all day without overheating anything.  295X35R21 Pilot Sport 4S Summer tires with 6 pot Brembo brakes in front and 4 pot in the rear, and an active, adjustable, multi-mode suspension. A launch control would be a touch nice as well. The car also need to go on a diet and loose some pounds and be lower to the ground. A slick new Transmission with paddle shifters that actually respond and shift in milliseconds.  Something around 500hp+ should get 'er done, after all we are in the middle of the modern HP wars where 500 hp is now common and 700 and 800 are the performance marks . The cars to best are the Alpha Romeo Stelvio with its 2.9L TT with 505 HP, the Track Hawk 700HP and the Porsche Cayenne Turbo 560Hp.  It needs to compete with The BMW X5m 567HP  and the Mercedes-AMG GLE63S 585HP . Ford has what it takes and the chance to make the Edge RS a world beater and be faster around a track and faster in the 1/4 mile than any of these competitors.  I do not expect the RS to be as luxurious as some of the others in order to keep costs down but it will still be a very nice and comfortable car. I have compared the RS Edge to those cars because the magazines will compare it to those cars as well. The RS is not a ST the RS it is a no holds barred street fighter.  Step up Ford and Kick some A** you have dropped the sedans so now is the time for a real Hot Rod Ford Edge and put the Sport back in SUV.  If you build it they will come. :ford:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 7:37 AM, akirby said:

The problem is all the competitors you mentioned are RWD based.  I don't think the Edge platform can handle 500 hp.  If they move Edge to CD6 it would be possible but last I heard they were planning to keep it FWD.

Every car I listed has AWD in one form or another as standard . Each manufacture has their own name for it but a rose by any other name. If Ford was to hit 500Hp+ in the Edge RS they could very easily beef up the RS car to take the power. I do not see that as a problem. Having a EB engine that puts out 500hp would be the challenge. Note that the highest output EB they had in production excluding the GT made 152HP per Liter . That was the 2.3EB found in the RS Focus that is no longer in production, it was rated at 350hp. Using 1.52hp per liter as a guide line the 2.7EB would produce 410HP, the 3L Lincoln would have 456hp and the 3.5 EB would produce 532hp. I would be happy with a 3L EB making 456HP with another 100 HP via an electric motor for a total of 556hp. As long as the electric motor and batteries did not add too much weight.  This combo would have tremendous acceleration with the electric motor producing 100% torque at zero RPM and would have increased MPG as a hybrid. Or just drop in the 3.5EB with 532HP and be done with it. It can be done if Ford wants to and they can do it for less than any of the cars I listed.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Where are you going to find a transverse (FWD) transmission to handle that much power?   And a PTU and Drive shaft?

By the time you fixed everything needed to handle that kind of power (way more than the Focus RS) you'd basically have a new vehicle and no way it would end up being less expensive than the others.

There is a reason the others are all RWD based AWD (longitudinal).

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 12:44 PM, akirby said:

Where are you going to find a transverse (FWD) transmission to handle that much power?   And a PTU and Drive shaft?

By the time you fixed everything needed to handle that kind of power (way more than the Focus RS) you'd basically have a new vehicle and no way it would end up being less expensive than the others.

There is a reason the others are all RWD based AWD (longitudinal).

The BMW X5m has xDrive AWD Starts at $79,550

The Alpha has Q4 High Performance AWD starts at $79,995
The Track Hawk has ActiveOn-Demand 4X4 system with full time active transfer case Starts at $86,200
The Porsche Cayenne Turbo AWD starts at $124,600
The Mercedes-AMG GLE63S has full time 4Matic AWD with transfer case permanent 40:60 Front/Rear torque split starts at $126,295

The Edge ST is starting at $42,355
If you were to use a 3L 450hp Lincoln the existing driveline would be fine. Then add an on demand 100hp electric motor to the rear wheels using no transmission and direct drive through the rear differential . That would give you a 550hp RS Edge.  This would keep the price 25 to 30 thousand dollars below the cost of the lowest price competitor listed above perhaps more. IE: Starting at $49,550 to $54,550 range 
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xtra said:

The BMW X5m has xDrive AWD Starts at $79,550

The Alpha has Q4 High Performance AWD starts at $79,995
The Track Hawk has ActiveOn-Demand 4X4 system with full time active transfer case Starts at $86,200
The Porsche Cayenne Turbo AWD starts at $124,600
The Mercedes-AMG GLE63S has full time 4Matic AWD with transfer case permanent 40:60 Front/Rear torque split starts at $126,295

The Edge ST is starting at $42,355
If you were to use a 3L 450hp Lincoln the existing driveline would be fine. Then add an on demand 100hp electric motor to the rear wheels using no transmission and direct drive through the rear differential . That would give you a 550hp RS Edge.  This would keep the price 25 to 30 thousand dollars below the cost of the lowest price competitor listed above perhaps more. IE: $49,550 to $54,550 range 

Ford would make an Explorer RS before an Edge IMO.

Though, if Ford decided to make an Edge RS, they wont sell, cause I can't agree on your pricepoint, I would picture it around $65-75k simply cause an RS Focus is 16k more than the ST and well it's still a Focus that they made shiny. The Edge, being a more upper class vehicle overall will generate a higher price point imo. I don't care where prices start at. It's where they sell at. Every Trackhawk owner I know has paid $110k plus for them. the 3 Demon owners I know paid $110k, 157k and 122k. Ford does not have that kind of fan base outside the Mustang. They can't just throw a big motor in a chassis and people just come rushing for it. RS models would just sit on the lot. Then we'd get them for cheap..lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok then lets add 16K to the base ST of $42355 for giggles and you get $58,355 base price that is still way less than the 65K to the 75K some have estimated. Still under 60K. The 3L EB does not add that much to the cost over the 2.7EB and the 3L EB is in production now so it is a easy swap. The MSRP of the 2.7 engine is $6135 the 3L Lincoln MSRP is $6,563  a difference of only $428 bucks!  And with Ford dropping sedans the market for high performance domestic SUV's is wide open for the taking. 

Edited by Xtra

I don't think there's anyway shape or form you would be able to get a base Edge RS for anything less than 10-15k more than a maxed out ST. Your crunching actual numbers instead of the numbers Ford really cares about. The profit. Truth be told, there is ZERO market for an Edge RS. The majority of Edge owners are middle age and female. To be more specific, majority of owners who join the online groups of me and @037 usually introduce themselves with this famous line "I just bought my wife a (insert any edge model)."

Edited by Nick Halstead

On 11/6/2018 at 6:51 AM, robertlane said:

Rumors have been ripe for a few months now about the appearance of a future Ford Edge RS.  Does it seem probable or likely? Yes.  Now that Ford is drifting into the crossover market heavily, it's extremely likely that we will seen an Edge RS.

The market is changing and I for one would love to see an RS Edge. My numbers are just a guess nothing more. All I know is that if Ford makes the RS Edge they will have to make them competitively priced with enough performance to justify the RS badge. 

Edited by Xtra

25 minutes ago, 037 said:

Sure, break the 12s and we can talk. I assume a stock RS won't have any issues since the ST was just a little slower than the Sport. 

Vin Diesel, 
Not everyone cares about racing and stripping their cars to race them.  I could care less what you think of the ST, the bottom line it's a better car than the Sport, and it's only $1300 more, and you get so much more for the money.  

• Like 1