PTU Fluid Change at dealer

jasoneg

Can someone tell me how long it should take to suck out the old gear oil from the PTU and put in the new?  I was at the dealer today and it was literally done in less than 20 minutes.  I got home and put the car up on jack stands and crawled  underneath.  I see no evidence of a change.  The corrosion that was on the fill plug (and in the socket drive) was still there (changed my engine oil last week and looked at it) and there was no signs of oil drippage or clean up from the fill. Is it even possible not to spill a drop?  Thanks for any input.....

Doesn't take long at all on a lift.  I think you have to fill till overflowing on post 2007 PTUs, but I would have to consult the manual to be sure.  There was a tsb for replacement PTUs on the 2007 where the fill plug location was changed so the overflow was the right level.  But on the original PTU, 1/4 inch below was the correct level.

If the corrosion is still there, they prob did not change it.

Can you post up a redacted coy of the invoice?

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I've done this and it was an incredibly messy ordeal, although I didn't have the best method of getting the old fluid out. Filling it would be impossible not to spill it because you fill till it until it spills out. I'd seriously question whether they did it if I were you. If you can pull the plug and check the condition and level by sticking a white zip tie or something into the ptu.

Edited by erikrichard
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Doesn't take long at all on a lift.  I think you have to fill till overflowing on post 2007 PTUs, but I would have to consult the manual to be sure.  There was a tsb for replacement PTUs on the 2007 where the fill plug location was changed so the overflow was the right level.  But on the original PTU, 1/4 inch below was the correct level.

If the corrosion is still there, they prob did not change it.

Can you post up a redacted coy of the invoice?

I can.  Is there something specific you are looking for on the invoice??

2 minutes ago, erikrichard said:

What did they charge? I would hope they didn't decide Ford's lifetime fill recommendation meant it was fine but charge you anyway...

It was $129.91.  One hour labor charge of $100 (and they only spent 20 minutes in the shop) and $29.91 for the fluid (which is expensive).  I dont really mind paying $130, but i really dont think it was done.

• Like 1

If this were me I'd pull that plug and if the fluid doesn't look new (it should be obvious if it was just changed) I'd bring it back and explain they can do it again while you watch or you are going to dispute the charges. It's bad enough how much they charged for this job, but I'm not going to let anyone defraud me like that.

Edited by erikrichard
  • Like 2

I don't see any way they could have filled it today, there isn't a drop anywhere. I'd pull the plug and confirm the condition with a zip tie or thick wire or something, and storm the place tomorrow if the fluid isn't new condition. I'd be really ticked off if they pulled this on me.

Edited by erikrichard
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chefduane said:

Agree completely.  Doesn't look like they changed anything.  Also, did you check the RDU?  Perhaps the tech was confused and suck/filled the RDU.

The mechanic knew for sure it was the PTU.  I saw the mechanic in the bay after the car was on the ground and he was putting the injection cleaner in the tank.  I confronted him about the fluid change (after knowing it was only up on the lift for 20 minutes).  I honestly figured he was going to do the injection cleaning first.  I never saw anyone or any machine under the car when I saw it on the lift.  So, I asked him WHEN he changed the PTU fluid to let me know how it looks.  He said he already did and it looked fine.  We had a small discussion about PTU's and I let him get back to work.  I really found it hard to believe that it was changed that quick, but I didn't want to call him a liar to his face.  I figured I would just check when I got home. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, erikrichard said:

I don't see any way they could have filled it today, there isn't a drop anywhere. I'd pull the plug and confirm the condition with a zip tie or thick wire or something, and storm the place tomorrow if the fluid isn't new condition. I'd be really ticked off if they pulled this on me.

I agree.  Not happy.  Maybe it was done, but highly unlikely.  I called the service manager and told him what happened and that I believe that the fluid was not changed.  He said the mechanic had been there for a year and a half and has done a very good job.  He said he may be promoting him to shop foreman.  Not sure how a fluid changer gets to be a foreman, but whatever....The service manager (who was VERY nice) said I could come back tomorrow and they would do the fluid change and I could watch it being done.  Just seems very AWKWARD to be standing there watching after I accuse the mechanic of lying to me.....but at the same time I want the fluid changed.....I was very polite the whole time, and told him I didn't want anyone to get fired, but I feel I got ripped off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Agreed with above, stand there and watch em do it.  No accusations, just get it done :)

And thanks for posting the receipt!

Yeah.  I'm going in the morning and I'm gonna watch them do it.  What a pain!   I just watched a you tube video of a mechanic doing the PTU fluid on a Mazda CX9.  He was able to remove the old fluid without making any mess really, BUT when he had to fill it there was gear oil dripping all down the casing and even some on the exhaust.  I will let you all know what happens tomorrow!!!  I will be shocked if the fluid is clean...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1004ron said:

There's a considerable cock-up on that invoice - it states REAR AXLE but the oil grade is not what goes in the rear axle.

With that, I'd insist that they put the correct oil in the REAR AXLE and do the oil change on the PTU and no additional charge.

Ford identifies 75w-140 as rear axle fluid.  I wouldn't get excited about that.

From the service manual for the PTU...

Motorcraft® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant
XY-75W140-QL (US); CXY-75W140-1L (Canada)
Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, erikrichard said:

Let us know how it goes, if the fluid comes out dark I'd ask for a refund just for making you come back and being lied to.

So....I went to the dealer this morning and met with the service mgr.  They brought my Edge back to the shop and the service mgr. said he would be back in 10 minutes after a test ride with another customer.  When he returned about 20 minutes later we went to the shop.  Approached my car and the tech was already under it!!  And he was frantically rushing.  I was pissed.  He had already removed the old fluid before we arrived and was starting to pump the new fluid in.  As he pumps it in he shows me that its full because the fluid is OVERFLOWING FROM THE FILL PLUG.  All down the side of the PTU like it should have been before!  I could tell he was mad or embarrassed , and was trying to cover his tracks, he never mad eye contact.  He was so frazzled to get the PTU full he knocked over the quart of fluid onto the floor.  The service mgr. and I walked back into the service advisor area and I lit him up.  I told him its obvious he didn't do it the first time.  He couldn't wait to fill it up so oil could spill all down the side of the PTU.  But I had pictures of it before.  When I showed the pictures to him he didn't respond.  I told him I wanted to see the dirty fluid and the fill plug and the tech purposely started before we got back there.  The service mgr. said that he showed me the fill plug, and I told him I wanted to see it when it first came off and if it had any metal shaving on it.  He proceeded to tell me he picked up the drain plug and "he personally cleaned off all the metal shavings with his fingers" and showed me his greasy hands.   I told him thank you for proving my point.  There shouldn't have been any shaving on the plug if the fluid was changed yesterday, and it was obvious from my pictures that no fluid had ever touched the outside of my PTU.  He then told me he would give me a full refund for the job.  Just shameful.  99.99% of people would never know that they got ripped off.  Unfortunately for him, I was the .01%

Edited by jasoneg
  • Like 6

The worst part of what they did was making you think the ptu fluid was changed, and leaving you in the position of having original fluid in there and potentially ruining the ptu costing you a lot of money to replace it down the road. That is an absolutely disgusting story, that mechanic committed fraud and I would never step foot in that place again. Well done standing up for yourself and getting a refund.

• Like 3