Ford Edge Forum
ccutaia1

New Edge with 20" wheels, ride sucks HELP

Hi, I just purchased a 2018 Edge Titanium with the 20" wheels and the ride sucks. Question, has anyone replaced the Hankook tires that came with them with Micheline tires to improve the ride? Next question is anyone interested in buying or trading for my 20"s with 18" rims with Micheline tires????  

Welcome and congrats!  Yes, many complaints re the OEM Hankooks.  When I drove a rental with them on there, I felt they were decent, but really should not be pushed.  I.E., don't get throttle happy with the car :)

1 hour ago, ottoman500 said:

don't forget to check the tire pressure.

Dropped down to 30 PSI, still rides like a buckboard.

I was interested also to replace with 18" but ended up driving on 20" for last 2 years....

and still think to replace with 18"

I also have a 2018 Titanium with 20 inch tires, but it came with Pirelli Scorpions. I have been very pleased with the ride, even with them inflated to 38psi to minimize rolling resistance. 6k miles, mostly highway. No complaints. 

My 2016 Ford Edge Titanium was shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires from the factory.  The 20 inch tires rode rougher than a cob.  Changed to Cooper CS5 Ultras on each corner and the ride smoothed out considerably.  Much better ride, handling, and quiet.

• Like 1

so you have changed all 4 tires of Pirelli Scorpion Verde to Cooper CS5 Ultras and the ride really improved? Only tires right? same wheels left i mean

I just swapped my 20's with 18's, rides like a dream, quiet, and still handles nice. The only thing I am not sure about is do I need to have the dealer change the CPU to reflect the change in tire/rim size? The '20s seemed to be about an inch taller.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:49 PM, ccutaia1 said:

I just swapped my 20's with 18's, rides like a dream, quiet, and still handles nice. The only thing I am not sure about is do I need to have the dealer change the CPU to reflect the change in tire/rim size? The '20s seemed to be about an inch taller.

I know, question was asked 7 months ago but there was never an answer soooooo....

You can use the FORScan program (freebie) and a decent OBDII code reader to modify the (computer perceived) diameter of your tire.  It's an easy 5 minute task that your dealer would charge an hour of shop time for.  Before doing that though, I'd check the Edge's speedometer reading against a gps to see how far off you are.  If it's only a couple of percent then it's not really worth bothering with. 

the whole idea of larger wheels is that the tire has a shorter sidewall and conversely, the smaller wheels have tires with taller sidewalls.

the overall diameter, and thus the circumference, is the same on all edges from the factory no matter what the wheel size is.

go to https://tiresize.com/calculator/ and plug the old and the new tire/wheel sizes into the tire comparison tab. that will give you the circumference which should be the same. if it's the same then the wheel will rotate the same number of times in a given distance and your odometer and speedometer will be correct.

2 hours ago, ben senise said:

the overall diameter, and thus the circumference, is the same on all edges from the factory no matter what the wheel size is.

When going through ForScan mods and settings, which are based on "As Built Data", you have settings for tire sizes. So each Edge with Factory 21", 20" or 18" will have different "As Built Data". There has to be another effect, not just the speedometer reading.

the ford.ca (i'm in canada) website lists the following sizes for the SEL, SE, Titanium, and ST respectively:

245 60/18

245 55/19

245 50/20

265 40/21

as you can see, there are four different wheel diameters available. They all have a tire diameter of 29.6" except for the ST which has a diameter of 29.3"

the car's dynamics are very much affected by wheel diameter, offset, and tire width. braking for example is much less effective with a larger diameter tire. simple physics and geometry. ABS, traction, stability are all affected by geometry that is different than stock.

it may be true that the internal parameters in the system may have different settings but for the purpose of the OP's question, he does not need to change anything for the new tires if he got tires that are a standard factory size.