Red X on GPS issue Resolved 2011 MKX

cfo20

So I have had the Red X over the GPS symbol on my 2011 MKX for some time now, where it stays on for about 8-12 minutes before the sat signal is recognized.  After a few resets and map updates, problem still existed.  After researching what it could be, I decided to take a chance on replacing the OEM antenna, which actually resolved the issue.   As such, I decided to share a step by step for this should anyone else need to do it.  Please note, I removed some parts which may have not required removal as I had to figure it out as I went along.  Also, I am not a certified mechanic by any means so you are preforming this procedure at your own risk.  I am recalling all the bolts/screws I removed, so please make sure by looking for any.  They were all pretty well exposed and not hidden.  If in doubt, remove it.

1.       Remove the leather covered curved trim pieces surrounding the climate control.  They are just clipped in and pop out easily.

2.       Remove the two 7 mm screws on each side under the trim pieces you just removed, then pry upwards all around the switch panel and screen surround to pull up all the clips.  When you get to the bottom, you must slide the panel upwards to clear the mounting tabs of the switch panel at the bottom.  Remove the wire harness at the bottom and then set the panel aside.

3.       Pull up on the center channel speaker grill and remove it.  It is also only held by clips.

4.       Remove the lower drivers side kick panel which has two 10 mm bolts and clips along the perimeter and top.

5.       Remove the lower section of the steering column cover by removing three 7 mm screws then prying it away from the upper steering column cover.  Inside, the lower section has plastic “hooks” that hook over parts of the upper steering column cover, so be aware of that when prying as they are easy to break.  When prying, try to slide the upper cover towards you as this will help dislodge the internal hooks (one on each side).

6.       Pry out the switch panel with the headlight switch and seat settings/trunk pop button.  It is only held in by clips and can hang by the attached wires.

7.       Remove two of the 7 mm screws from bottom of HVAC vent that were concealed by the headlight switch panel you just removed and then remove the HVAC vent itself.

8.       Back over to the right side, there is one 7 mm screw just below and to the right of the push button start that was behind the first trim panel you removed.  It is a bit recessed so be careful not to drop it. 

9.       Pry out the drivers side A pillar, but do not remove it.  The bottom part can remain attached to the dash cover.

10.   Now start to pry up and towards you the drivers side dash cover.  It is a separate piece from the passenger side and held in by clips.  No need to remove it completely, just pry up and pull towards you.  This includes the push button start panel.  Pull at the bottom of push button start and disconnect the wire harness behind it once you have the dash panel out enough.

11.   Do not remove the large dash panel, but situate it so that you can see the GPS antenna just above the instrument cluster.  It sits right under the dash panel you just lifted.

12.   Pull the antenna (on the bracket) towards you to remove.  The plastic clip will break but that is ok as your new antenna should have come with a new bracket attached.  Remove the wire harness from the old antenna once removed.

13.   The new antenna I got was a bit smaller, but mounted the same and had the same wire harness connector.

14.   Install antenna and put everything back together.  Don’t forget the push button start harness!  Took my about 35-40 minutes in total.

15.   I test drove the vehicle immediately and it took a minute or two to get the signal.  After that, it picks up the signal within seconds every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2