Downpipes (2016 Edge Sport)

snmjim

7 hours ago, snmjim said:

Some people just can't help themselves nor can they bow out gracefully when their wrong. But all that matters is they know the truth as do others, it's just a matter of them coming around to reality. Everyone matures at different rates, some early & some way late.

See, now you are getting personal. I have no problems admitting when wrong.I have a problem with people making claims as their own that someone else achieved. I have no issue posting negative results I get back from my parts. My time slips don't mysteriously go missing cause I don't like the results and I don't try to keep races hidden if I don't like how they ended. You said that 3in bend couldn't be made. It has been done, A LONG TIME AGO. Edge/Fusion irrelevant the bend has been done. saying otherwise is the exact same as APR claiming to have the fastest 5cyl Audi and then adding "coupe" to the end of the convo cause they can't beat the IROZ RS3 Sedan. You didn't ID and source an adjustable BOV, cause Edges were running it in 2015. You didn't ID & Source the IC cause Chris' had already done that too. I think he would let you take the credit for the lower grill mod too though. You are probably a cool ass guy, but your personal gratification with your Edge is way too high, nobody cares who does what and when. You can take my credit for the H&R Springs too though, it only took me two years of emails to get them on market. That should improve your status even more on this forum.

3 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

See, now you are getting personal. I have no problems admitting when wrong.I have a problem with people making claims as their own that someone else achieved. I have no issue posting negative results I get back from my parts. My time slips don't mysteriously go missing cause I don't like the results and I don't try to keep races hidden if I don't like how they ended. You said that 3in bend couldn't be made. It has been done, A LONG TIME AGO. Edge/Fusion irrelevant the bend has been done. saying otherwise is the exact same as APR claiming to have the fastest 5cyl Audi and then adding "coupe" to the end of the convo cause they can't beat the IROZ RS3 Sedan. You didn't ID and source an adjustable BOV, cause Edges were running it in 2015. You didn't ID & Source the IC cause Chris' had already done that too. I think he would let you take the credit for the lower grill mod too though. You are probably a cool ass guy, but your personal gratification with your Edge is way too high, nobody cares who does what and when. You can take my credit for the H&R Springs too though, it only took me two years of emails to get them on market. That should improve your status even more on this forum.

Well obviously there is some difference or the Fusion headers would fit the Edge.  Just because they are the same size engine does not mean the headifolds and turbo mounting is the same, the Fusion has more power and torque stock that the Edge and they got that somehow.  The mounting of the accessories may be different meaning a 3 inch pipe with a bend may fit one and not the other in the same fashion.  Ford obviously makes changes per vehicle or the same parts would work everywhere the engine is.  Comparing the two because they share the same engine size is just silly since there are differences. 

Just sayin. 

33 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

Well obviously there is some difference or the Fusion headers would fit the Edge.  Just because they are the same size engine does not mean the headifolds and turbo mounting is the same, the Fusion has more power and torque stock that the Edge and they got that somehow.  The mounting of the accessories may be different meaning a 3 inch pipe with a bend may fit one and not the other in the same fashion.  Ford obviously makes changes per vehicle or the same parts would work everywhere the engine is.  Comparing the two because they share the same engine size is just silly since there are differences. 

Just sayin. 

Ford uses it's Integrated Exhaust Manifold on the transverse 2.7 motor, the turbo is the "header" as the exhaust manifold is cast with the block. Neither Fusion Sport or Edge has traditional "headers." The turbos are identical, the mounting is identical. Even the bigger 3.0 turbos will bolt right up to the the fusion/edge. The only real difference in the motors is the cooling configuration. The power difference, is simply a tuning difference. I don't post nonsense just to see myself type.

9 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Ford uses it's Integrated Exhaust Manifold on the transverse 2.7 motor, the turbo is the "header" as the exhaust manifold is cast with the block. Neither Fusion Sport or Edge has traditional "headers." The turbos are identical, the mounting is identical. Even the bigger 3.0 turbos will bolt right up to the the fusion/edge. The only real difference in the motors is the cooling configuration. The power difference, is simply a tuning difference. I don't post nonsense just to see myself type.

That is the what i referred to as the Headifold, I have not looked at the V-6 but I assume it is like the 2.0 when the head is the head and exhaust headers/manifo9ld as one unit.  They strill have a separate block as far as I know with a head gasket since I have never seen in modern times a head and block molded as one.  But if accessory mounting is different than that certainly could block the downpipe on the turbo, even if they are the same.  I am sure the clearances with everything are not identical between the two vehicles which would need to be the case to share the downpipes. 

11 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Nick you are correct to an extent,  yes it is the same block and turbos, but the accessories and their mounting points are far from the same.  One of the big differences that heavily influences space is the Fusion that it has a 110 amp alternator while the Edge sport has a 150 or 175amp (cant remember which one) and thus the Edge's is about .75~1in deeper and if you reference our images you will see how close we come to the alternator.  The fusion does have a bit more room in that department ;-).  We found we could fit a max of 2.75" pipe however we felt it would be better to have smooth transitions and curves so we settled with 2.5" which is still a hell of a gain over the 1.75" stock and flows plenty for our goals.

Next, sorry for the personal attack there, it was the wrong response however we take pride in our work and what we feel is right and short of take it personal when folks come in with skewed info (of which we have done in the past on accident and are trying to create a more complete and thorough testing and results). Our goal here isn't firsts, however it would have been nice to know that this was done when we first posted interest in this direction.  This project isn't to prove anything to anyone or the platform, this is what we do with each of our vehicles as a father/son project and instead of keeping all the info to ourselves this go around we thought we would share it with the community and make it readily accessible to the interested parties.

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

The Edge is such a niche market that there are very few meaningful off the shelf mods available for it, even with the introduction of the Gen 2 Sport.  The "rest of us" appreciate being able to windowshop while y'all spend the time, effort, money to actually get things done.  Onward and upward.

Thank you Manu,

It's motivating to know that some do appreciate our efforts...:ford:

• Like 3

Seeing a 3 inch custom made one off down pipe in something that is not an Edge is a long way from from a Down Pipe that is designed for the G2 Edge Sport. And not just one, a full assortment of them. Down Pipes with Cats or High flow Cats or no cats at all. Everyone of them offered in the color of your choice or just plain.  And snmjim has brought this to our community. :hat_tip:  Not a custom one off , a full on engineered product that is jut a click away. 

I am running a custom one off part on my car now and bringing it to the next step ( production)  like snmjim has done with several products is not to be underestimated . It is a massive undertaking. 

So thanks to snmjim and all I can say is. I hope your PTU can handle all that torque you are going to make and what's next ??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Seeing a 3 inch custom made one off down pipe in something that is not an Edge is a long way from from a Down Pipe that is designed for the G2 Edge Sport. And not just one, a full assortment of them. Down Pipes with Cats or High flow Cats or no cats at all. Everyone of them offered in the color of your choice or just plain.  And snmjim has brought this to our community. :hat_tip:  Not a custom one off , a full on engineered product that is jut a click away. 

I am running a custom one off part on my car now and bringing it to the next step ( production)  like snmjim has done with several products is not to be underestimated . It is a massive undertaking. 

So thanks to snmjim and all I can say is. I hope your PTU can handle all that torque you are going to make and what's next ??

I'm just chopped liver over here eh ;-).  And I havent been privy to this custom part...... Btw hows the foot?

Edited by Special_K
  • Haha 4

Sorry bout that Special_K you have been a very important part of the process as well :hat_tip:Props to you  . Forgive me for I am not myself of late  . As you know I have been through the wringer :(. check your PM.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Xtra said:

Sorry bout that Special_K you have been a very important part of the process as well :hat_tip:Props to you  . Forgive me for I am not myself of late  . As you know I have been through the wringer :(. check your PM.

Maybe a poor choice of words right now, but i was just pulling your leg bud ;)

As long as my dad gets mentioned that's all that really matters to me.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Xtra said:

Thnx Xtra!

However without SpecialK I couldn't have done it.

He's the research & numbers guru of the team.

Thnx with all my heart Son...:hat_tip:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Special_K said:

Maybe a poor choice of words right now, but i was just pulling your leg bud ;)

As long as my dad gets mentioned that's all that really matters to me.

Don't pull his leg it just might come off easier than expected now...:doh:

• Haha 2

On 4/29/2019 at 5:30 AM, Special_K said:

Nick you are correct to an extent,  yes it is the same block and turbos, but the accessories and their mounting points are far from the same.  One of the big differences that heavily influences space is the Fusion that it has a 110 amp alternator while the Edge sport has a 150 or 175amp (cant remember which one) and thus the Edge's is about .75~1in deeper and if you reference our images you will see how close we come to the alternator.  The fusion does have a bit more room in that department ;-).  We found we could fit a max of 2.75" pipe however we felt it would be better to have smooth transitions and curves so we settled with 2.5" which is still a hell of a gain over the 1.75" stock and flows plenty for our goals.

Next, sorry for the personal attack there, it was the wrong response however we take pride in our work and what we feel is right and short of take it personal when folks come in with skewed info (of which we have done in the past on accident and are trying to create a more complete and thorough testing and results). Our goal here isn't firsts, however it would have been nice to know that this was done when we first posted interest in this direction.  This project isn't to prove anything to anyone or the platform, this is what we do with each of our vehicles as a father/son project and instead of keeping all the info to ourselves this go around we thought we would share it with the community and make it readily accessible to the interested parties.

I'm totally confused, I've never responded to you in this thread and I was referencing Jim, So you either speak on your Dad's behalf or he just uses multiple screen names to keep us all entertained

21 hours ago, Xtra said:

back up to Sept of 2017 when I had Matt of Ultimate Performance make my FMIC (which I ended up passing to James Bishop due to shipping to Hawaii) I also had him look into the Edge for the downpipe. Totally doable with Pie Cuts, not prefabbed pipping. I then reached out to Boden Autohaus to see about a full turbo back titanium exhaust since my Edge was going to be sitting in Cali for about a month, and this was the plan (expensive plan) as they said the same exact thing as Matt. Car was going to be shipped directly to Boden, but due to the lovely world of military paperwork, shit got all changed. It's still the plan, just on hold. One great aspect. I have no need to worry about a blown PTU. Parts being made is not the issue, it's the maker/supplier of parts that will attract other companies. "Mom and Pop" shops like Ulitmate Performance and Ecopowerparts, don't generate enough. H&R dropped springs and now look, you have more than one spring option on the market.

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

I'm totally confused, I've never responded to you in this thread and I was referencing Jim, So you either speak on your Dad's behalf or he just uses multiple screen names to keep us all entertained

No need to be befuddled.....its called a father and a son ;-), and wouldn't ya know it, I'm the son.   I was just chiming in to the public forum and talking with ya. 

2 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

back up to Sept of 2017 when I had Matt of Ultimate Performance make my FMIC (which I ended up passing to James Bishop due to shipping to Hawaii) I also had him look into the Edge for the downpipe. Totally doable with Pie Cuts, not prefabbed pipping. I then reached out to Boden Autohaus to see about a full turbo back titanium exhaust since my Edge was going to be sitting in Cali for about a month, and this was the plan (expensive plan) as they said the same exact thing as Matt. Car was going to be shipped directly to Boden, but due to the lovely world of military paperwork, shit got all changed. It's still the plan, just on hold. One great aspect. I have no need to worry about a blown PTU. Parts being made is not the issue, it's the maker/supplier of parts that will attract other companies. "Mom and Pop" shops like Ulitmate Performance and Ecopowerparts, don't generate enough. H&R dropped springs and now look, you have more than one spring option on the market.

and the point of posting this 3 months later is......... would have been nice to see a bit earlier.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Special_K said:

and the point of posting this 3 months later is......... would have been nice to see a bit earlier.

Meh maybe one day you can give it a go. At any rate I hope you are still making it in some form in about a year when I'm ready for a set and willing to ship to Canada.

19 hours ago, connoisseurr said:

Exhaust system looks great. Eager to see more!

I’m also standing by for a Group Buy. I think most folks will want some sort of metric being able to justify the cost of these downpipes set. 

I ask that everyone please be patient because 1st we have to refine the various Tunes then to meet our sponsors requirements we need to rent the track to enable us to achieve the various configuration track slips then we need to schedule dyno time.

We plan on having all of this done within the next 2 to 3 months...if all goes well...:thumbsup:

In addition my Mother just passed so this will have a negative impact on my progress pace...?

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Super nice job on that exhaust image.png.3ddc2ddd81abd0355186d93a101c2961.png as well as some great photos image.png.0f377bb7a93f0a06d6bde5c936d412ea.png.  This is by far the best set up on an Edge that I have ever seen. The design and execution is top shelf. Just a few questions if you don't mind. I might have missed it but what is the diameter of the pipe? And I am wondering if those are two mufflers that I see in line,  if so can I get some more info on them. Like the size, make and model. Thanks.

20190430_212339.jpg.5dd8f8295a458669f702b0eead8cf3bb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Xtra said:

Super nice job on that exhaust image.png.3ddc2ddd81abd0355186d93a101c2961.png as well as some great photos image.png.0f377bb7a93f0a06d6bde5c936d412ea.png.  This is by far the best set up on an Edge that I have ever seen. The design and execution is top shelf. Just a few questions if you don't mind. I might have missed it but what is the diameter of the pipe? And I am wondering if those are two mufflers that I see in line,  if so can I get some more info on them. Like the size, make and model. Thanks.

20190430_212339.jpg.5dd8f8295a458669f702b0eead8cf3bb.jpg

Hey there Brother from the Best Coast...:yahoo:

Good to hear from you, how's the ankle healing?

Thank you for the compliments!

The following are my responses to your questions:

- Pipe diameter is a consistent 2.5" from the Turbos back however, we initially wanted to go 3.0" from the Turbos back but due to the late model 2015 through 2019 Edge Sport & ST front Turbo configuration the extreme turn the downpipe has to make immediately coming off the front Turbo would not be conducive to the exhaust gasses flowing smoothly out of the front Turbo. Therefore we were able to achieve a smooth flowing bend using 2.5" pipe.

NOTE: after careful measuring, analysis and research we came to realize there's no negative impacts going 2.5" because it well exceeds stock and stock modified Turbo exhaust port size. 

- Those are two resonators (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C63YQSU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_Bas9Cb0YFHJWP) commonly called back in our hot rod days as glass packs, thrush mufflers or cherry bombs. We elected to go with the two resonators to mitigate droning without increasing restriction. However, to maintain the sleeper concept we went with retaining the stock muffler which is steadily blowing out due to the added Turbo pressure and ironically the resulting tone is one we've decided to stay with...:rating:

BIG NOTE: we made it possible to have the entire system reproducible from the down pipes back to the tail pipes without needing the car so they are available to order and shipping to your front door. Your flavors are 2.5" downpipes into the stock exhaust system or 2.5" downpipes with a 2.5" exhaust system to the tail pipe or any variation there of, after all he is a custom fabricator...:2thumbs:

Drive by sample with WOT & cutouts open:

https://youtu.be/639Cx_dxJwo

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1