Car and Driver Review with Test Results

Rimcrim

Fingernip I read on a forum that the difference between 87 and 91 was 3 to 5 percent in power and about the same between 91 and 93 octane. I'm not sure it may have come from Livernois. I can say this when I picked up my ST it had a full tank of gas so I drove it for several days and when it got down to 1/8 tank I filled it up with 93. Over the next couple of days I could feel a definite improvement in acceleration.I call the salesman and he said that he had put 87 in it before delivery. As far as all this other stuff, You pays your money and takes your choice.

1 hour ago, eddie368 said:

Fingernip I read on a forum that the difference between 87 and 91 was 3 to 5 percent in power and about the same between 91 and 93 octane. I'm not sure it may have come from Livernois. I can say this when I picked up my ST it had a full tank of gas so I drove it for several days and when it got down to 1/8 tank I filled it up with 93. Over the next couple of days I could feel a definite improvement in acceleration.I call the salesman and he said that he had put 87 in it before delivery. As far as all this other stuff, You pays your money and takes your choice.

I feel there are too many variables to really know without testing. Variable valve timing + air temp + driving style + engine temp would effect the frequency and severity of preignition. I would say it would likely be noticeable though if it is in fact pulling timing due to knock   

On 11/30/2018 at 11:08 PM, Fingernip said:

So you nit pick the data that best supports your end decision to buy a 2018? c&D 0-60 numbers and ignore skid pad and owner impressions. Official MPG rating rather than test obeservations and owner claims.   You argue it’s not proper “competition” for the outgoing model regardless if it was ford’s intent it does beat the 2018 in just about everything. So I guess the 2018 was a terrible step up from the 2017 by your standards. 

I just said, there's not enough difference to warrant buying a ST over a new Edge Sport that is still on the lot. I stated when changing generations, nothing about model years. Also C&D has yet to review a ST. MotorTrend (would have rather used C&D...but...) pulled a 87 on skidpad with the Sport and a 88 with the ST. I'd rather have the 8spd transmission in the ST, sucks they didn't go DSG though. The vehicles are pretty much the same is what I said, and judging by the reviews rolling out, there is lots of disappointment with the ST except by people on this site which is very understandable. It's too early to judge owner impressions on the ST but from the looks of it...shit's still breaking like it was on the Sport and my Sport looks like it was built by a blind person on the outside and inside, so hopefully they sorted that out too. 

just noticed the skidpad on CD .89g def an upgrade there.

Edited by Nick Halstead

3 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

I just said, there's not enough difference to warrant buying a ST over a new Edge Sport that is still on the lot. I stated when changing generations, nothing about model years. Also C&D has yet to review a ST. MotorTrend (would have rather used C&D...but...) pulled a 87 on skidpad with the Sport and a 88 with the ST. I'd rather have the 8spd transmission in the ST, sucks they didn't go DSG though. The vehicles are pretty much the same is what I said, and judging by the reviews rolling out, there is lots of disappointment with the ST except by people on this site which is very understandable. It's too early to judge owner impressions on the ST but from the looks of it...shit's still breaking like it was on the Sport and my Sport looks like it was built by a blind person on the outside and inside, so hopefully they sorted that out too. 

We get it you don't like the ST, but there are ST owners on the forum who like their STs. You are entitled to your opinion, and you've made it clear how you feel. So can you let us ST owners and future owners enjoy our vehicles and share our experience? Please go enjoy Sport and we will not bother you.

1 hour ago, blitz118 said:

We get it you don't like the ST, but there are ST owners on the forum who like their STs. You are entitled to your opinion, and you've made it clear how you feel. So can you let us ST owners and future owners enjoy our vehicles and share our experience? Please go enjoy Sport and we will not bother you.

it's not that I don't like the ST, it's just that it wasn't all that ford made it out to be, it's def not worthy of the ST nameplate. I don't believe I'm hindering you one bit from sharing your experience's though.

1 hour ago, Nick Halstead said:

it's not that I don't like the ST, it's just that it wasn't all that ford made it out to be, it's def not worthy of the ST nameplate. I don't believe I'm hindering you one bit from sharing your experience's though.

So now it does not live up to the ST badge and is not worthy, and we get that too that you don't like that either.  The performance is not up to the ST standard, and we understand that also. Well, that's something you will have to take up with Ford as we had nothing to do with the naming of the vehicle or building it to ST standards ?.  My experience so far has been great, and I'm enjoying the vehicle much more than my 2015 Sport. The ride and handling feel much better than the Sport, and the technology it offers is excellent.  I'm glad I extended the lease on my Sport so I could get the ST. 

Ford is probably working on a Edge RS version for the future, so be sure to send them an email to make sure it meets the RS standards.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The only people who seem to be disappointed are people who haven’t driven a ST yet or people who have some imaginary standard for what a ST should be.

Right on! ?

I have had a friend for many years, that everywhere he worked, every person or company that he worked for, was stupid and didn't know what they were doing. 

And therefore if they were stupid, he must be smarter. Insecurity maybe?   

Exactly to me an st is a trim level that performs and handles better than the standard models. 

I'm however not sure what people are hoping for in an rs especially those complaining on the price of an st since a rs focus is twice the price of an st focus. I can also already hear all the complaints about the overly stiff suspension... 

For what it's worth, I was one who was going in (to view the ST) expecting to suggest to my wife we look elsewhere at other options.  I came away quite surprised and impressed with combination of tech/value for the dollar.  It's why the ST is in our garage now and knock on wood, she's been thrilled so far.  I made sure not to have any preconceived notions (regarding the ST badging or otherwise) and just compare dollar for dollar and vehicle for vehicle.  Long term quality and reliability are a concern but we found a fair deal on a highly discounted extended Ford PremiumCare warranty online so we're covered as best as possible for the long term.  I would suggest driving one with an open mind and make your decision that way (vs having preconceived expectations of what it should be rather than what it is).  

21 hours ago, Old Ray said:

Right on! ?

I have had a friend for many years, that everywhere he worked, every person or company that he worked for, was stupid and didn't know what they were doing. 

And therefore if they were stupid, he must be smarter. Insecurity maybe?   

I assure you, that's not me. I'm just appalled at the GT350 like treatment the ST is getting here. A reskinned Sport with an 8spd tranny and a "tuned" suspension. That's all it is. It's not a track carving blow the doors off the competition vehicle and neither was the Sport. I just said, the 18s on the lot would be a better buy financially cause your getting the same performance and a proven transmission for way less money.

Nobody here is giving it the "gt350" treatment.   All that I've heard is that it's a slightly better Sport and that seems to be confirmed by all the folks who actually bought one including former Sport owners.

A left over previous model vehicle is always going to be cheaper and the performance is pretty close.

The issue is some folks were claiming it was a failure because it didn't handle like a Fiesta ST and was therefore unworthy of the ST badge which is ridiculous if you understand anything about physics and vehicle handling.   The fact that the Sport is so close to the ST is a testament to the tuning ability of the normal Edge team compared to Ford Performance.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

A left over previous model vehicle is always going to be cheaper and the performance is pretty close.

With the 2015 model year, the difference compared to 2014 was so substantial that this argument wouldn't be applicable. Even the 2010 to 2011, the difference was not insignificant. The 2018 to 2019 had the least significant changes in the Edge's makeovers, in my opinion. 

By the way, I like the ability to highlight text and then quote it directly. Nice addition to the forum's update. 

Edited by omar302

I've had numerous performance vehicles and I'm very satisfied with my decision. I've also had 2 of my friends drive it and they were surprised too (one has a Q50 and the other has a 370z). It handles extremely well for an SUV and the power is satisfying. It feels like my stock 2011 Wrx as far as power but it's a far better daily driver. I've been averaging 20mpg in the city so far and I'm happy with that. I'd prefer this have the 10 speed from my Mustang GT and hopefully it can handle power for when I tune it in a year or two. 

1 hour ago, omar302 said:

With the 2015 model year, the difference compared to 2014 was so substantial that this argument wouldn't be applicable. Even the 2010 to 2011, the difference was not insignificant. The 2018 to 2019 had the least significant changes in the Edge's makeovers, in my opinion. 

2015 was an all new platform.   But I was only talking about the price always being cheaper on the previous model, not that performance is always the same or close.   That was specifically referring to the 2019 ST vs. the 2018 Sport.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

The issue is some folks were claiming it was a failure because it didn't handle like a Fiesta ST and was therefore unworthy of the ST badge which is ridiculous if you understand anything about physics and vehicle handling.   The fact that the Sport is so close to the ST is a testament to the tuning ability of the normal Edge team compared to Ford Performance.

on flip side, it could indicate how little FP actually divested into the vehicle knowing that just the ST badge would be a great marketing tool in itself. The one thing I was hoping for was, lower profile (I don't know why ford is stuck on such high performance crossovers, nobody is going off roading in an Edge on purpose). Most important thing I was looking for was lighter overall vehicle. the C&D and MT articles are spot on to how ford marketed this vehicle. 

23 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

on flip side, it could indicate how little FP actually divested into the vehicle knowing that just the ST badge would be a great marketing tool in itself. The one thing I was hoping for was, lower profile (I don't know why ford is stuck on such high performance crossovers, nobody is going off roading in an Edge on purpose). Most important thing I was looking for was lighter overall vehicle. the C&D and MT articles are spot on to how ford marketed this vehicle. 

ST is just the entry level tune from FP.   What you're asking for would be more of a RS model which may or may not appear.

9 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

I assure you, that's not me. I'm just appalled at the GT350 like treatment the ST is getting here. A reskinned Sport with an 8spd tranny and a "tuned" suspension. That's all it is. It's not a track carving blow the doors off the competition vehicle and neither was the Sport. I just said, the 18s on the lot would be a better buy financially cause your getting the same performance and a proven transmission for way less money.

are-we-still-beating-this-dead-horse-102

• Haha 1