clicking, tapping noise

SEA ANTSY

Would help to provide an audio/video file for us to hear/see for ourselves.  What is the approximate location of this sound?  Were you able to localize it?

Direct injection is clicky-clacky, not unlike diesels.  Certainly makes difficult to distinguish such sounds when they are NOT normal.  If not normal, could be a bad high pressure fuel pump, timing chain, etc.

On 12/10/2018 at 2:17 PM, akirby said:

Ford's AWD system has always been (at least the current gen) proactive and intelligent.   It will anticipate the need for rear torque and engage it before slippage occurs (e.g. fast starts, accelerating while turning, etc.) so in that case it's better than some of the 100% reactive systems.  But it's not going to constantly send any significant torque to the rear if it doesn't think it's needed.  In fact new for 2019 is a disconnecting PTU that completely disconnects the rear when it's not needed for better mpg.   I would think the Ford Edge ST system would be in between the other two you described.

Well I went back to the dealer and had the sales type pull another SE along side.. IDENTICAL... and a local kibbitzer that was passing said that's the turbo rattle... ??? so I am satisfied.. 

attached is a file of the rattle..

yea.. she sat overnite.. and it was up to the second (top) hole.. good thing for the holes my olde eyes could never make out the tiny scribes.. 

I think its the twin turbo's spoolin up.. nature of the beast.. there is some black soundproofing on the inside of the hood.. perhaps to cut down the volume a bit..

My 2.0 doesn't sound nearly as loud as that, but to each their own. It usually goes away after a few seconds. I know that when the oil is lower than the full hole, it makes the noises like what you have.

Has nothing to do with the Turbo. You only have 1 turbo btw. The only twin turbo edge is the ST & the 2nd gen Sports. You have a twin scroll turbo. Completely different than a twin turbo set up. 

The only time the turbo really spools up is when you're making boost & you have to be driving to do that. It kinda 'free wheels' when you're not spooling up the turbo making boost, especially at idle.

I know multiple people with 2.0's, 2.3's, 6.0's & 7.3's, etc., with turbo's & have never heard of the turbo(s) spooling up at idle or startup. I have heard them kinda air themselves down after the engine is off & that's only been with the 7.3's & 6.0's, never with a 4 cylinder turbo. 

• Like 1

??? what.. I am going to assume that is YOUR 2016 Edge.. . naw. nothing like that on my 2019 SE.. ... and the one  the sales type pulled up to compare with mine.. it did not have one either.. 

? could they have eliminated the cover... as a FEATURE for 2019.. 

Anyone have a engine cover on a 2019.. SE or any model ???  Pix please.. tia

I did however get a rubberband ??? which was put on prior to the trans cooler line being connected.. ..see the pix.. I see the engines are made in Spain. so it might be a Spanish thing.. 

rubberband2.jpg

rubberband1.jpg

Is this your first GDI engine?  All the GDI ecoboost engines I have heard sound like diesels at startup and idling.  And without the engine cover it is probably louder, since the ones I have seen were padded somewhat.  My 2.0 Focus ST was louder with the cover removed as well.  My 2.7 I currently have has the cover but is still lous when fast idleing in the cold.  I would say that is normal and just the injectors being normal. 

Yes .. it is my first.. if it were a diesel I would have not questioned the click-clack.. but it is a first for me.. and since the engine cover was eliminated it probably does sound a bit louder.

The real answer was having the sales type pull another SE alongside and they sounded alike.. 

• 1 month later...

That is normal for the 2.0 I’ve had a few my 17 does it also. It’s the hpfp that seems to make that noise. Absolutely nothing to do with the turbo. It’s fuel system related. No worries. Glad to see they removed the cover. I run mine in the winter to help hold heat then remover it in the summer to reduce heat.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same rattle......identical on my 2019 titanium. didn't notice it till one day when I was outside the vehicle with it running. this thread has been very helpful. thanks to all who had input, after our trip I still might have the dealer check it just for piece of mind. not that I dot believe anyone but god forbid something went wrong and they say well you should have had us check it. fyi our edge has 1300 miles

• 3 months later...
On 8/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, SEA ANTSY said:

Yea, SEWING MACHINE sounds about right... actually I restored a BRITISH SEAGULL  (a few really) and they sounded like a sewing machine as well.. 

It is a strange noise to get used to..

Just read up on the British Seagull.  Not an outboard motor guy but I've owned several 2 strokes. My dad once owned a 1959 DKW car. It had a 3 cylinder 2 stroke for a power plant.  It sounded wild when on the boil.

• 2 months later...

So did they eliminate that noise? What was the diagnosis? I purchased mine in March’19 . Noticed the loud knocking about 1000 miles after. Now it is in the service. They say it’s “normal” while if I run it next to a same car on the lot the difference in noise is clearly different. Here’s mine’s at 6K miles:

Well please keep the list posted... and naw.. I got 11000 miles.. and no shaking .. and the noise.. is.. was normal for this model in my side by side listen.. 

not saying you dont have a diff issue with the same symptoms... 

? I really don't know how screwed up it could be and still get >33mpg ???  if it was a mechanical or electrical ISSUE.. a real malfunction I can't see how it 

could be that efficient and still be makin noises.....yea it makes a different noise than I am used to.. but never had a engine like this..