Edge ST MPG

jamie1073

• 2 weeks later...

Well been using Fuelly.  Got a whopping 15.2 a tank ago and filled with 93 and just got 14 for that fill up.  I have not been letting it warmup more than like 2-3 minutes in the morning.  Yeah I have been driving it with a lot of pedal sometimes but normal, for me, the rest.  Still seems ungodly low even if I am driving it a little quickly at times.  My Focus ST got 22.5 driving it the same miles and same way.  That lowered to 22.5 once I tuned it, before that on the stock tune I was getting 23.5, so close to the factory city rating.  I mean I do not expect a solid 19 out of this but 17-18 would be nice.  Especially for 93 octane gas at almost $3 a gallon.  It is not like I felt more power or anything special.  I am at almost 2000 miles and it is going down not up. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 1:54 PM, bobyellow said:

Wondering what type of elevation change you have in your trips? If you have a lot of up/down, mileage will go down. I can watch my mileage go down going up a steep hill.

Recent fill: 93. 1/4 through tank. 24.5 with some short highway driving.

Maybe a hundred feet if that.  I am driving it much nicer, pedal to the metal wise, than I did my tuned Focus ST and that still managed to only drop 1-2mpg from rated city.  Highway will probably be fine but I do not drive a lot of actual highway.  I drive about 1/2 mile from the house to a 2 lane 55mph road and go for about 5-6 miles on that and then enter a 45 then turn onto a 55 then turn again onto a 55 until I get to the 1/2 mile 30 to work.  Total trip around 10-12 miles.  I do this 4 times a day, twice to and from since I go home to let the dogs out.  Other than that it is around the city/town.  I do have to take a trip for a doctors appointment on Friday which is a 70 mile trip, 140 round.  So we shall see what that works out to.  Just strange since I had a 1999 Grand Cherokee V8 that seemed to get better mileage and that was in 2012. 

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

You live in New York state, between the cold air, possible wind one way and driving faster than the epa estimates mileage at you would be lucky to see the 26 the epa says.

I am just hoping it is the winter blend gas,  Probably never really noticed in the Focus because I leased that in the summer so the mileage went up and I never really noticed a severe drop.  I mean I do not expect the EPA measurements but closer to them would be nice.  I had the tank before only get 14mpg and that is sad.  I would be happy with a solid 17+ for my driving style.  Then again my mothers MKC at 2.5 years old only averages 20.6 according to the computer, it is a 2.3T.   And dad's 2 year old Escape 2.0T averages 22 on the computer, but he drives a lot of hills between home and work.  Strangely my brothers 4x4 F150 2.7TT averages 18.7 on his computer with 10,000 miles on it and he drives mixed driving.  Maybe it will get better and it is just me driving more agressive because I just got it and am coming from a Focus ST with a few little upgrades and a tune.  I do not mind the spending money on gas it is more the 18.5 gallon tank only making it 5-6 days instead of a full week or more.  Heck the Focus 11.5 gallon tank made it a week. 

Unfortunately I'm only seeing 11 mpg out of mine with this winter being so cold around here. That is all city. 

Highway I have seen 26 but that was on a highway doing only 60mph. When doing 70 the mileage drops to about what you are getting. 

Like you I'd really like to see better once it starts to warm up. 

2.7 eats fuel if you touch the boost. I’m at 18 on the edge and 19ish on the fusion sport. All city with a heavy foot. Fusion does great on the highway mid 20s where as the edge is 20ish (brick in the wind). 

Edited by 01Cobra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 01Cobra said:

2.7 eats fuel if you touch the boost. I’m at 18 on the edge and 19ish on the fusion sport. All city with a heavy foot. Fusion does great on the highway mid 20s where as the edge is 20ish (brick in the wind). 

Oh I figured as much.  Like I said I would be happy with 17 let alone 18.  I did not expect anything near the 20's unless I was on the highway a lot more.  Of course now it has developed some sort of stutter in the transmission.  Like with light gas it wants to downshift but is not and the tach looks like it is vibrating up and down when it happens.  And some delay when trying to move at times.  I will see what that is about, if it does not work itself out.  I figure the transmission is now confused since it spent an hour in the same gear on the trip down and then on the way back.  Maybe I just miss shifting and picking the gear I want to be in. 

On 3/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, Rimcrim said:

Just hit 1700km in my 2019 ST and averaged 21mpg even during the break in period.

Only using 91 Octane, about 40% highway driving.

Nice.  I got a whopping 13.9 mpg this last tank, and I was driving it nicely for the week with very few flooring episodes and mild acceleration most of the time.  Seems to be worse the nicer I treat it. From now on I am just going to drive it like a Sporty vehicle should be driven.  Sadly I just wish now it would friggin get 16 mpg, I give up on ever seeing 19  or anywhere near 20.  I guess it is good it is an 18 gallon tank so I can get at least 240-250 miles a tank. 

I heard Ford is being questioned about the Ranger because of the false advertising on the MPG.   I have owned over 10 ford vehicles and I can't remember one of them getting what the windows sticker said.  Bought a 2013 Focus for the wife to commute 50 miles one way and though for sure with her type of driving ( non aggressive) and mostly highway the focus would get what they said but it was 3-4 mpg off for the life of the vehicle.  This is one time that I wish the government would step in and FORCE car manufactures be accurate with their ratings.  To me it is false advertising because we bought the focus 1.  because I am a Ford Guy and 2.  She needed the best mileage.  Than to add insult our neighbor bought a civic and got 2 mpg better than what the sticker said.   :( 

9 minutes ago, vmaxbaby said:

This is one time that I wish the government would step in and FORCE car manufactures be accurate with their ratings. 

This is impossible due to the numerous factors in gas mileage. You could ask the epa to use 65 or 70 mph as opposed to 55 that they currently have mandated but not everyone would achieve them still. No matter what they do for city mileage though i will never achieve it in my barely city and don't expect to but wish i could.

13 minutes ago, vmaxbaby said:

.  This is one time that I wish the government would step in and FORCE car manufactures be accurate with their ratings.  To me it is false advertising because we bought the focus 

Umm.....the government DOES force accurate reporting and they dictate the test procedure.  The EPA actually tests about 10% of vehicles randomly to make sure the mfr is testing and reporting correctly.

The issue that Ford has recently reported has to do with a mathematical calculation that represents the road and wind resistance used in dyno testing.   They aren’t cheating or lying on purpose.

You can’t expect to get the EPA  window sticker MPG unless you drive EXACTLY like the EPA test procedure.  That means driving 55-60 on the highway without A/C and using 100% gasoline - not E-10.   Some vehicles are more sensitive to driving style and parameters than others (Ford Ecoboost engines e.g.).  

I’m getting 22 mpg in mixed driving in my 3.5L ecoboost F150 with 470 lb/ft of torque.  That’s better than the EPA ratings.

1 minute ago, Perblue said:

This is impossible due to the numerous factors in gas mileage. You could ask the epa to use 65 or 70 mph as opposed to 55 that they currently have mandated but not everyone would achieve them still. No matter what they do for city mileage though i will never achieve it in my barely city and don't expect to but wish i could.

The other big factor is trip time.  If you only take short trips (< 5 miles) then the engine barely warms up and your mpg will be terrible.

10 hours ago, Perblue said:

That is alot of mine unfortunately.

Yeah I have that same problem.. i don't even  pay attention to fuel economy for that reason. My drive to work is 2.7 miles... I really would bike to work if we didn't have horrid winters and blazing hot summers here. 

19 hours ago, akirby said:

The other big factor is trip time.  If you only take short trips (< 5 miles) then the engine barely warms up and your mpg will be terrible.

That's what bothers me.  Mine is about 10 miles one way.  Mostly at 55-65 but there are two times I turn off and have to accelerate back to speed.  I tried nice and easy and am not returning to driving it like I want to.  I got better mileage that way compared to driving it easy.  I really do not care I just wish it was higher or closer to at least the city mileage.  If driving it mostly at 55-65 MPH gets worse mileage than city I would hate to see what it gets if I was actually doing stop and go all mile drive.  Maybe it is the cold, maybe the winter blend gas, maybe I just am expecting to much.  I just figured it would be better than 14mpg it seems to be getting on my weekly work commute.  I drove my Focus ST like I was driving a sports car and running from a cop and I got the 23-24 mpg. almost what the city rating is.  I was constantly in boost with that and the last 6 months it was tuned and I was pushing 23- 24 psi max boost.  And I would try to hit that number on every shift.  Oh well just was wondering what others were getting and it seems mine just sucks. 

Well that doesn't seem to be to hateful bobyellow especially with the low amount of miles on the car.  I would expect once more broken in that would increase even more and when they don't have winter blend gas.  Here in Virginia we have gas stations that sell 93 10% eth and the same station sells 93 0% eth which cost about 25 cents more a gallon but when I run it in my Escape I do get a little better mileage.  And one place local that I can get Sunoco 100 octane non eth but it is $ 8.30 a gallon so I use that sparingly in the mustang LOL 

23 hours ago, bobyellow said:

Trip 2: All miles from new. 19.3 avg with 2365.8mi

Trip 1: 21.5 avg with a 150 highway trip (75mph avg speed) of the 188.6 mi counter.

Daily driving of 8mi to work, then 8mi back. Multiple stops. 25mph to 40mph roads.

I hope yours gets better.

IMG_2582 (1).jpg

IMG_2581 (1).jpg

From new it says 16.4 with 2500 on the clock.  First 200 was before I bought it.  According to the Fuely app I am getting 15.3 since I started using it.  That is with the 140 mile round trip all highway cruise set at 75  where I averaged 18.3 that tank. 

I just hope it gets better since that low of 13.9 was me 'babying' it, at least for my driving style.  Lol!

I've currently got 1565 miles on mine and with winter warm up's and all the yielding at uncontrolled intersections to take kid to school and wife to work I get an average of 13.5 mpg. Got a whole 166 miles out of this last tank lol. I definitely got better in city with the 13 3.5l sel but it wasn't as fun to drive and didn't warm up near as fast or stay as warm while driving so it's worth it and has improved since last post. 

I know it gets far better on the highway and if I get to cruise at 50 mph on Main city roads I have seen 33mpg lately. 

So just don't ever stop, idle or drive fast. ?

Edited by Perblue

Just checked the actual MPG since I first got the car.

Averaged 11.7 L/100km in the first 1900km, which is equal to 20.1 MPG.

Pretty good considering it's including the break in period where you're supposed to get less mileage than normal.

What gas are you using?

1350248219_ImagefromiOS.jpg.ed853c84e8c401649df4e50e4faa6951.jpg