Edge ST MPG

jamie1073

15 hours ago, Rimcrim said:

Just checked the actual MPG since I first got the car.

Averaged 11.7 L/100km in the first 1900km, which is equal to 20.1 MPG.

Pretty good considering it's including the break in period where you're supposed to get less mileage than normal.

What gas are you using?

1350248219_ImagefromiOS.jpg.ed853c84e8c401649df4e50e4faa6951.jpg

I have used both 87 and 93 octane.  Seems to actually be lower with 93 to be honest.  I will find out on Friday or Saturday when I fill up again and see what this last tank gets with me driving it like I normally would and not trying to get good mileage what so ever.  Plus this tank came from a Sunoco station instead of Valero where I normally fill up since it is 20+ cents a gallon cheaper at Valero.  They were out of 93 on the day  last filled up. 

You can 'Live' monitor your MPG. Reset Trip 1 and/or Fuel Economy. Why wait until a fill up?

Fuel Economy
Distance to E
Inst Fuel Econ
Avg MPG  
Long Term Fuel Economy 
Fuel History
Average Speed
All Values  
Auto StartStop

• Distance to Empty - Shows the approximate distance your vehicle can travel before running out of fuel.
  • Inst Fuel Economy - Shows a visual graph of your instantaneous fuel economy along with your Avg MPG since the function was last reset.
  • Long Term Fuel Economy - Shows your long term fuel economy.
  • Average MPG — Shows the average fuel economy for a given trip.
  • Fuel History - Shows the fuel economy over the past 30 minutes.
  • Average Speed - Shows the average speed since the last reset.
  • All Values — Shows all fuel economy values: Distance to E, Inst Fuel Econ, Long Term Fuel Economy and Average Speed.
  • Auto StartStop - Available Auto Start-Stop messaging provides details about what is happening with your system. OKempty.gifSee  Information Messages
Note:  You can reset your average fuel economy by pressing and holding the button on the left-hand steering wheel controls.

37 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

I have used both 87 and 93 octane.  Seems to actually be lower with 93 to be honest.  I will find out on Friday or Saturday when I fill up again and see what this last tank gets with me driving it like I normally would and not trying to get good mileage what so ever.  Plus this tank came from a Sunoco station instead of Valero where I normally fill up since it is 20+ cents a gallon cheaper at Valero.  They were out of 93 on the day  last filled up. 

You should get more MPG from higher octane fuel, period.

Maybe the cheaper gas isn't as good and is causing the drop in MPG?

I always get the best possible gas that I can.

For my area we only have Shell 91 or Chevron 94, but the Shell is rated at 99 RON and the Chevron at 98 RON (Research Octane Number), so I use that in my car.

2 hours ago, Rimcrim said:

You should get more MPG from higher octane fuel, period.

Maybe the cheaper gas isn't as good and is causing the drop in MPG?

I always get the best possible gas that I can.

For my area we only have Shell 91 or Chevron 94, but the Shell is rated at 99 RON and the Chevron at 98 RON (Research Octane Number), so I use that in my car.

It says Top Tier on the pumps and I would see no reason why it would be any worse than the rest.  Gas all comes from the same pipes and only has whatever additive package added depending on whose name is on the pumps.  Chevron does not have their own pipeline going all over the country to get to a tuck close to your pumps.  Lol!!!

As for bobyellow, thanks I know that I wait for the next fuel up because I calculate the exact mileage I am getting because I always fill it and never just put some in.  And I started tracking it via an app instead of going by the instant mileage.  I do not reset the main one ever because I was the mileage for the life of the vehicle.  I use trip 1 for the life.  Trip 2 if I want to know a drive, like the highway trip I took.  And the instant gauge one I reset when I got it, since it had 200 miles on it. Since I have had it the mileage is at 16.4 and only when up from 15.8 after the 140 miles highway trip, it went up to 18.5 and has dropped to 16.4 over the last 2 weeks.  I am sure it will keep going down.  Who knows.  Maybe it is the cold and the winter gas as I have said but my tuned Focus ST got pretty much the city rating and I drove it like I was running from the Police most of the time.  Full boost every time I could do it. Ended a 3 year run with 23-24 mpg, it reset after the battery needed troi be disconnected to replace the wiring harness due to animal damage.  

9 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

It says Top Tier on the pumps and I would see no reason why it would be any worse than the rest.  Gas all comes from the same pipes and only has whatever additive package added depending on whose name is on the pumps.  Chevron does not have their own pipeline going all over the country to get to a tuck close to your pumps.  Lol!!!

As for bobyellow, thanks I know that I wait for the next fuel up because I calculate the exact mileage I am getting because I always fill it and never just put some in.  And I started tracking it via an app instead of going by the instant mileage.  I do not reset the main one ever because I was the mileage for the life of the vehicle.  I use trip 1 for the life.  Trip 2 if I want to know a drive, like the highway trip I took.  And the instant gauge one I reset when I got it, since it had 200 miles on it. Since I have had it the mileage is at 16.4 and only when up from 15.8 after the 140 miles highway trip, it went up to 18.5 and has dropped to 16.4 over the last 2 weeks.  I am sure it will keep going down.  Who knows.  Maybe it is the cold and the winter gas as I have said but my tuned Focus ST got pretty much the city rating and I drove it like I was running from the Police most of the time.  Full boost every time I could do it. Ended a 3 year run with 23-24 mpg, it reset after the battery needed troi be disconnected to replace the wiring harness due to animal damage.  

I know that, I was referring to you using both 87 and 93, since the 87 would give you less MPG.

It still seems like yours is too low though.

Edited by Rimcrim

20 hours ago, Rimcrim said:

I know that, I was referring to you using both 87 and 93, since the 87 would give you less MPG.

It still seems like yours is too low though.

I started with 87 for a few tanks and then switched to 93 to see if it would help at all as well as for better performance.  You can tell the difference and that the timing is advanced more with the 93 since it will knock less.  I am well aware that the Ecoboosts like 93 and run more advanced timing with it and planned to switch anyhow.  This tank seems to be going better with me driving it more aggressively.  I have a quarter tank left so I will fill up tomorrow or Saturday and see what the app says.  Funny because I never really paid attention or cared but thought this would get better mileage than I am getting. 

17 hours ago, omar302 said:

Can you show a picture of this view? I don't believe this would be for 2019.

All Values — Shows all fuel economy values: Distance to E, Inst Fuel Econ, Long Term Fuel Economy and Average Speed.

Not all on one screen.

1st screen shows Distance to E, Inst Fuel Econ, Long Term Fuel Economy

2nd screen shows Average Speed

3rd screen shows status of Auto Stop/Start

Missing Fuel History - Shows the fuel economy over the past 30 minutes.

IMG_2585.png

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I just got my ST on 3/2. It’s got 401a, 21” rims, and cold weather package. I picked it up with 54 miles on it. 

I got 24.2mpg with the first tank of whatever octane gas the dealership filled it with. About 30% into the 2nd tank of gas (89 octane) I’m getting 26.7mpg. 

This is is my 5th EcoBoost engine.

2013 Fusion Titanium fwd 2.0

2016 Escape SE fwd 1.6

2017 Fusion Titanium fwd 2.0

2018 Escape Titanium 4wd 2.0

now the ST

For reference, I’d get 27-30mpg in the Fusions depending on weather, so I’m pretty happy with 26.7mpg in the ST with the recent warmer weather. From my experience, using cruise control greatly benefits gas mileage no matter how steady your foot is with EcoBoost engines. Much more so than any n/a engine I’ve had. 

46 minutes ago, DB ST said:

Hello everyone. I just got my ST on 3/2. It’s got 401a, 21” rims, and cold weather package. I picked it up with 54 miles on it. 

I got 24.2mpg with the first tank of whatever octane gas the dealership filled it with. About 30% into the 2nd tank of gas (89 octane) I’m getting 26.7mpg. 

This is is my 5th EcoBoost engine.

2013 Fusion Titanium fwd 2.0

2016 Escape SE fwd 1.6

2017 Fusion Titanium fwd 2.0

2018 Escape Titanium 4wd 2.0

now the ST

For reference, I’d get 27-30mpg in the Fusions depending on weather, so I’m pretty happy with 26.7mpg in the ST with the recent warmer weather. From my experience, using cruise control greatly benefits gas mileage no matter how steady your foot is with EcoBoost engines. Much more so than any n/a engine I’ve had. 

I was not using cruise control for the first 1600 miles because it's in the break in period and you're supposed to vary the engine RPM constantly rather than sit at one RPM for extended periods at a time.

I also used Sport mode a fair bit during break in for this reason, as I could easily rev it  up to about 3500 RPM and back down easily.

I suspect my mileage will stay similar now though, since I can drive it hard in sport mode but also use cruise control on the highways ?

I think you mean KM.

BREAKING-IN

You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Do not tow during the first 1000 mi (1,600 km).

10 hours ago, Rimcrim said:

I was not using cruise control for the first 1600 miles because it's in the break in period and you're supposed to vary the engine RPM constantly rather than sit at one RPM for extended periods at a time.

I also used Sport mode a fair bit during break in for this reason, as I could easily rev it  up to about 3500 RPM and back down easily.

I suspect my mileage will stay similar now though, since I can drive it hard in sport mode but also use cruise control on the highways ?

The notion of a break in period is mostly a remnant from the past. Engines are made to tighter tolerances, better bore surface finish, and better materials than in the past. The only engine i’ve ever “broke in” properly was when I got a forged short block for my Mustang years ago and that was only because it wasn’t a production engine. I’ve always driven my cars as I normally would with the only exception being not beating the hell out of it for a 1,000 miles. I’ve always gotten near the epa highway mileage and never once had an engine consume oil. 

As an engineer, if I felt that the engine break in was so important, I wouldn’t make a small note buried in the middle of the owners manual about it that few people read. I’d be writing it into the ecu and putting notices on the gage cluster or something similar. 

4 hours ago, DB ST said:

The notion of a break in period is mostly a remnant from the past. Engines are made to tighter tolerances, better bore surface finish, and better materials than in the past. The only engine i’ve ever “broke in” properly was when I got a forged short block for my Mustang years ago and that was only because it wasn’t a production engine. I’ve always driven my cars as I normally would with the only exception being not beating the hell out of it for a 1,000 miles. I’ve always gotten near the epa highway mileage and never once had an engine consume oil. 

As an engineer, if I felt that the engine break in was so important, I wouldn’t make a small note buried in the middle of the owners manual about it that few people read. I’d be writing it into the ecu and putting notices on the gage cluster or something similar. 

I suspect they do to an extent. They may run richer and lower boost during a pre-determined mile limit. The focus RS guys have claimed boost is limited at break in also. I also suspect that to be a reason for poor performance in early reviews. I haven't been able to find a good flat road to test and I don't have a G-tech logger or anything but from video timer I have seen  under 6 seconds to 60 with slight uphill roads running 87 octain winter gas.  

6 hours ago, DB ST said:

To each his own.

I agree that the break in period is not needed as much as it used to since the tolerances are much tighter, but why take the risk on a brand new car?

I'm more than happy to drive moderately for the first 1000 miles if it means there's a chance my engine lasts longer and performs better. I plan to keep this car for a long time.

I researched this quite a bit before I took delivery and decided to follow the manual and recommendations by others.

4 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I suspect they do to an extent. They may run richer and lower boost during a pre-determined mile limit. The focus RS guys have claimed boost is limited at break in also. I also suspect that to be a reason for poor performance in early reviews. I haven't been able to find a good flat road to test and I don't have a G-tech logger or anything but from video timer I have seen  under 6 seconds to 60 with slight uphill roads running 87 octain winter gas.  

I drove mine like I normally would duri0ng the 'breakin' period.  The boost definately was lower, during the first 5-600 miles, I would peak but drop instantly to around 10-12 psi.  Then at around 1000 miles it would hit 19 and drop to 16 and stay there for the most part in the cold.  Today while driving hard I saw it hold 17-18 psi in roughly 45+ degree weather.  It now has 2600 miles on it.   So it seems at least for the first 1000 miles it lowers boost.  I assume it is gettign higher now since the temps are up and it needs more boost to make its torque target like other Ecoboost's.  Lower boost in cold because of denser colder air.  I also notice that the stock IC is crap and heat soaked on one pull adding at least 30 degrees to the charge air temp.  I saw that in the FORScan app.  My Focus ST will a Depo son of beast IC charge air temp would rise maybe 4-5 degrees on a pull up to 120MPH going full bore at 23.8 psi peak boost.  Anyway, after the first 1000 miles this baby has come alive more than when new and it is nice. 

So I filled again today.  I got 13.8 on this tank, so down from 13.9 last week.  It said I had 30 miles to empty when I filled yet only took 14.3 gallons.  I tried a few times more to make sure it was full and not just an air pocket.  I  would think I would need more considering it is an 18.5 gallon tank.  So last fillup I got 197 miles out of the tank.  Yeah it is still cold here but it has warmed up some and is closer to the 30-40 range with a high last week of 60 on one day.  Certainly not the sub zero tremps it has been and I am not letting it warm up just remote start it a minute or so before I go out the door to let it idle for a minute to get the idle to step down a hair.  I am not even sure what could possibly be wrong if anything, since it seems to be running fine.  I get some strange shifts now an then from this transmission not seeming to know what to do.  I have tried gas from a different station for the last two fills and switched to 93 instead of 87 so it is a little disappointing that my numbers seem to be going down since I started logging. 

9 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

So I filled again today.  I got 13.8 on this tank, so down from 13.9 last week.  It said I had 30 miles to empty when I filled yet only took 14.3 gallons.  I tried a few times more to make sure it was full and not just an air pocket.  I  would think I would need more considering it is an 18.5 gallon tank.  So last fillup I got 197 miles out of the tank.  Yeah it is still cold here but it has warmed up some and is closer to the 30-40 range with a high last week of 60 on one day.  Certainly not the sub zero tremps it has been and I am not letting it warm up just remote start it a minute or so before I go out the door to let it idle for a minute to get the idle to step down a hair.  I am not even sure what could possibly be wrong if anything, since it seems to be running fine.  I get some strange shifts now an then from this transmission not seeming to know what to do.  I have tried gas from a different station for the last two fills and switched to 93 instead of 87 so it is a little disappointing that my numbers seem to be going down since I started logging. 

A .1 difference would hardly be considered down. It's such a small variance that you could easily have that from one tank to the next.

Also you had 30 miles to empty, so getting roughly 14mpg you still had a little more than 2 gallons to go to empty, plus the known 2 gallons in reserve and the 14.3 you put in and you are at roughly 18.5 gallons of fuel.

If you are so concerned get on a highway doing 60-70mph for an hour or 2 on a not too windy day, or make sure you aren't pushing the wind and see what mileage you get.

40 minutes ago, Perblue said:

A .1 difference would hardly be considered down. It's such a small variance that you could easily have that from one tank to the next.

Also you had 30 miles to empty, so getting roughly 14mpg you still had a little more than 2 gallons to go to empty, plus the known 2 gallons in reserve and the 14.3 you put in and you are at roughly 18.5 gallons of fuel.

If you are so concerned get on a highway doing 60-70mph for an hour or 2 on a not too windy day, or make sure you aren't pushing the wind and see what mileage you get.

I have taken a highway cruise set at 75 for 140 miles an reset Trip 1 and got 24mpg according to that meter until I got back and started driving around normal.  For that tank I got 18.1mpg, the two before it were 15.2 and 14.0 then after it 13.9 and 13.8.  Those first two were on 87 octane gas and the rest 93.  I reset my main MPG when I got it and it stands at 16.3 right now which I find off since that one trip is all the driving on a highway for more than 5-10 minutes I have driven in the 2400 miles since I bought it and I have no idea of what the first 200 miles were driven like, Trip 2 has that number and it is at 16.4 right now.  So I am leery on trusting the computer compared to the math. Either way it is not even close to the rated 19 City and most of my driving is not even in a city type environment of stop and go traffic.  I am waiting until it warms up more but I do not see it getting that much better.  The reason I started this thread was to see what other are getting to compare so I can see if maybe there is some strange issue or if it is normal.  Seems so far not to be to normal.  If I wanted 14mpg I would have just bought an F-150.  I would have expected closer to the 19, like 17 or 18 because I drive like I feel it should be driven for a 'Sport' vehicle.  But still I babied it for one tank and drove it like I normally would for the last and got the same mileage.  I mentioned the .1 down because that is all it did worse driving it like I want instead of like an old lady.  Like I said I got closer to city mileage on a tuned Focus ST flooring it more on the same drive I take now.  So it is strange that I can not do better by not flooring it so much. 

On 3/16/2019 at 2:03 PM, jamie1073 said:

I have taken a highway cruise set at 75 for 140 miles an reset Trip 1 and got 24mpg according to that meter until I got back and started driving around normal.  For that tank I got 18.1mpg, the two before it were 15.2 and 14.0 then after it 13.9 and 13.8.  Those first two were on 87 octane gas and the rest 93.  I reset my main MPG when I got it and it stands at 16.3 right now which I find off since that one trip is all the driving on a highway for more than 5-10 minutes I have driven in the 2400 miles since I bought it and I have no idea of what the first 200 miles were driven like, Trip 2 has that number and it is at 16.4 right now.  So I am leery on trusting the computer compared to the math. Either way it is not even close to the rated 19 City and most of my driving is not even in a city type environment of stop and go traffic.  I am waiting until it warms up more but I do not see it getting that much better.  The reason I started this thread was to see what other are getting to compare so I can see if maybe there is some strange issue or if it is normal.  Seems so far not to be to normal.  If I wanted 14mpg I would have just bought an F-150.  I would have expected closer to the 19, like 17 or 18 because I drive like I feel it should be driven for a 'Sport' vehicle.  But still I babied it for one tank and drove it like I normally would for the last and got the same mileage.  I mentioned the .1 down because that is all it did worse driving it like I want instead of like an old lady.  Like I said I got closer to city mileage on a tuned Focus ST flooring it more on the same drive I take now.  So it is strange that I can not do better by not flooring it so much. 

How would you describe your average trip? For instance, my drive to work is 16.5 miles and about 22 minutes. The engine is usually up to temp in about 5 minutes.  The speed varies from 25 to 65mph, but mostly 45-55mph (good mpg speeds). 

7 hours ago, DB ST said:

How would you describe your average trip? For instance, my drive to work is 16.5 miles and about 22 minutes. The engine is usually up to temp in about 5 minutes.  The speed varies from 25 to 65mph, but mostly 45-55mph (good mpg speeds). 

Daily trip to work is to start car and let run for a minute or so to get the idle to step down a hair.  Then about 1/2 mile out to the main 2 lane highway that I pull onto and speed up to 65 mph if I am not behind someone, hold 55-65 for about 4 miles then turn left onto another road and cruise down it around 65mph for about 1to 1.5 miles then take a right and back up to 55-65 for a few miles and into a 30mph zone for about 1/2 mile and turn into work.  Car is putting heat out by the time I hit the first 2 lane road and fully warm a minute or 2 into that part of the trip.  This is at 7 am, at 10:30am I come home to let the puppy out and then back to work, then come home at 3:30pm.  Trip is about 10 minutes one way.  I figure with that I should get close to at least city mileage out of the deal.  I got that with the Focus ST driving it harder and my 2007 Fusion Sport AWD V-6 I had before that.  Sadly when I first got it and ran 87 and was driving it the same way I got 15-16 mpg.  Best I have got since I started keeping track was 15mpg for one tank and then down from there.  That was only 7 tanks ago so 1200 miles maybe, I have 2600 on it now and have been running 93 the last 4 tanks. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, jamie1073 said:

Daily trip to work is to start car and let run for a minute or so to get the idle to step down a hair.  Then about 1/2 mile out to the main 2 lane highway that I pull onto and speed up to 65 mph if I am not behind someone, hold 55-65 for about 4 miles then turn left onto another road and cruise down it around 65mph for about 1to 1.5 miles then take a right and back up to 55-65 for a few miles and into a 30mph zone for about 1/2 mile and turn into work.  Car is putting heat out by the time I hit the first 2 lane road and fully warm a minute or 2 into that part of the trip.  This is at 7 am, at 10:30am I come home to let the puppy out and then back to work, then come home at 3:30pm.  Trip is about 10 minutes one way.  I figure with that I should get close to at least city mileage out of the deal.  I got that with the Focus ST driving it harder and my 2007 Fusion Sport AWD V-6 I had before that.  Sadly when I first got it and ran 87 and was driving it the same way I got 15-16 mpg.  Best I have got since I started keeping track was 15mpg for one tank and then down from there.  That was only 7 tanks ago so 1200 miles maybe, I have 2600 on it now and have been running 93 the last 4 tanks. 

First thing i’d do is stop letting the car idle for so long. There is no benefit to letting the car sit and idle for more than 10-15 seconds. All you really need is for oil to get moving. 

Try using cruise control whenever possible. 

As as far as the Focus ST, that engine was pushing a more aerodynamic car with 1,300lbs, 2 cylinders and .7l less than the Edge. 

Frequent short trips sound like the main killer though. I don’t believe EPA estimates take into account engine warm up. At 10 minutes long, it takes 1/2 your trip for the car to hit operating temps.