Edge ST MPG

jamie1073

1 hour ago, DB ST said:

First thing i’d do is stop letting the car idle for so long. There is no benefit to letting the car sit and idle for more than 10-15 seconds. All you really need is for oil to get moving. 

Try using cruise control whenever possible. 

As as far as the Focus ST, that engine was pushing a more aerodynamic car with 1,300lbs, 2 cylinders and .7l less than the Edge. 

Frequent short trips sound like the main killer though. I don’t believe EPA estimates take into account engine warm up. At 10 minutes long, it takes 1/2 your trip for the car to hit operating temps. 

Sadly I have tried both start it and  go and start it when I let the dog in the house and put her in her pen and start and let it warm up for 5 or more minutes.  It actually got better gas mileage warming it up, and gets the same if I drive it like a little old lady on her way to church or like I normally would drive.  As for the Focus I drove that like a cop was on my ass at all times and I was trying to outrun them.  Full boost or none at all.  I am not sure what may or may not be wrong but my brothers Eco 2.7 F-150 gets better mileage that this thing and 5 mpg under the city rating is ridiculous.  I had a Jeep GC with a 5.2 v-8 that got better gas mileage and that was a 1999.  If no one else seems to be getting these low numbers than I assume something is funny with mine.  Since no one so far seems to be getting this low.  If it increases when temps stay up for more than a day I guess it may be easier to figure out if it is some sort of problem with it running rich to warm up or some crap.  But it should  be in closed loop mode by the time I hit the end of my road.  I guess I just expected the 8 speed to get better mileage.  My mother drives basically the same trip daily in her MKC 2.3 with the 6 speed and she gets 20mpg.  Dad drives mostly highway but with hills and gets 22.4mpg in his 2.0 Escape with the 6 speed.  I thought the point of adding turbos was to increase mpg with smaller motors.  I am basically getting 200 miles a tank out of this filling it when it says I have around 40 miles less.  That is horrible even if you calculate in the added 40 miles to get 240 a tank.  Might as well go back to the Focus with the 11.5 gallon tank in it if I feel like filling it every 6 days.  If I did not love the thing so much I would be trying to get rid of the damn thing.   Then add in the wonky transmission that has a mind of its own sometimes. 

Edited by jamie1073

3 hours ago, DB ST said:

First thing i’d do is stop letting the car idle for so long. There is no benefit to letting the car sit and idle for more than 10-15 seconds. All you really need is for oil to get moving. 

Anyone who says this has never lived in a climate that gets to - 20C or like this winter - 40C. Doesn't matter if you use synthetic or not Your turbos will thank you if you give it a chance to warm up more than that. 

i think we can all agree that those temps are outliers when speaking generally. But yes, I do live in a climate that gets that cold on occasion. The coldest i’ve ever seen my garage was 0C, and that was once when it was with the temps in the -25 range (-15F). 

Edited by DB ST

Apparently quoting is not working for me right now ...

Jamie, When you get an opportunity, see if you can find some long flat roads at 35, 45, and 55mph. Set the cruise control to those speeds and (with a warm engine) see what the instant fuel mileage reading says. Mine pegs 40mpg at 35 and 45. 55mph I am usually around 35mpg. 65 is usually right around 26-28mpg. After 65, this 4500lb brick’s gas mileage proceeds to fall off a cliff. If your readings aren’t somewhat close to mine, all I can think of is that the O2 sensors in your car are somehow not calibrated correctly, but I find that extremely unlikely. 

I don’t know for sure, but I don’t believe the trip mpg readings takes remote start/warmup into account. So it may say you are getting better gas mileage when you let your car warm up than you are actually getting. It wouldn’t be putting the 5 minutes of burning gas at 0mpg into the equation. 

As far as turbo engines and gas mileage go, the mpg benefit is only there when you are not in boost. Once you hit boost, you are guzzling gas just like a larger engine.

Edited by DB ST

4 hours ago, DB ST said:

i think we can all agree that those temps are outliers when speaking generally. But yes, I do live in a climate that gets that cold on occasion. The coldest i’ve ever seen my garage was 0C, and that was once when it was with the temps in the -25 range (-15F). 

-40 might be uncommon here but a regular winter here is between -20 and -30, along with over half of canada, no idea how cold areas of new york get for jamie.

It actually does factor in warm ups and your mileage tanks, you are going no where and burning gas. Letting it warm for 5 minutes in the winter, ever morning is how I achieved 11mpg. On a fresh tank and a recent reset of the trip meter I could watch the mpg go down. 

7 hours ago, DB ST said:

Apparently quoting is not working for me right now ...

Jamie, When you get an opportunity, see if you can find some long flat roads at 35, 45, and 55mph. Set the cruise control to those speeds and (with a warm engine) see what the instant fuel mileage reading says. Mine pegs 40mpg at 35 and 45. 55mph I am usually around 35mpg. 65 is usually right around 26-28mpg. After 65, this 4500lb brick’s gas mileage proceeds to fall off a cliff. If your readings aren’t somewhat close to mine, all I can think of is that the O2 sensors in your car are somehow not calibrated correctly, but I find that extremely unlikely. 

I don’t know for sure, but I don’t believe the trip mpg readings takes remote start/warmup into account. So it may say you are getting better gas mileage when you let your car warm up than you are actually getting. It wouldn’t be putting the 5 minutes of burning gas at 0mpg into the equation. 

As far as turbo engines and gas mileage go, the mpg benefit is only there when you are not in boost. Once you hit boost, you are guzzling gas just like a larger engine.

Oh it got around 24 on the highway with the cruise set at 75 for a 140 round trip.  But those trips are far a few between for me.  And I am not using the trip calculator, although it is higher than the manual calculations.  Since new the computer says 16.4 and so doe the one I reset when I got it.  The vehicle now has 2600 miles on it and has only taken one highway trip so far that was more than 10 miles.  The instant economy is always over 20mpg and pushes 25ish whenever cruising.  My manual calculations using Fuely are the ones I am going by, the ones since I started using it are 15.2, 14.0, 18.1(this one had the 140 mile trip), 13.9 and 13.8.  As you can see they are going down a hair every fill and that covers the last 1073 miles.  The first one was 87 octane and me driving like I normally would, the others are all  93 octane with the last two from a Sunoco station since the Valero i use normally did not have 93 the last two weeks.  The 13.9 mpg one was me taking it easy and accelerating like my mother would and not anywhere like I would. 

I did not expect Focus type mileage but around the same distance from the City rating would be nice.  For the 20,000 miles I had that I would say it average 23 mpg over its life with me and the last 5000 miles were tuned for 'stage 2' from Stratified for 93 octane and pushed close to 24psi.  That still managed to get 22mpg out of those tanks.  I know smaller vehicle, less pistons but I pushed that as far as I could all the time I was driving it and took it on fun drives just to see what it could do, with many runs well into the triple digits back down and back up.  I would be happy with 16-17mpg out of this thing, 17 would be great. 

4 hours ago, omar302 said:

@jamie1073

Did you also manually calculate it or is it only based on the trip computer? 

Use Fuely the last  1000 miles. 

@DB ST  This winter was particularly more cold than most here with temps regularly below 0 F down to -20 F.  At first I would remote start and let it warmup but stopped doing that to see if I got better mileage.  Sadly I got better mileage on the tanks I let it warm up some. 

I drive my car 80% highways, speeds at an average of 75mph or so. I am getting consistently 21-22 MPG confirmed with Fuelly and in car average. It is low, but then again I drive fast. I am on small roads for only a small part of my trip. I imagine if I went down to 60-65mph I would have much better mileage.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:42 AM, JCrew7384 said:

I drive my car 80% highways, speeds at an average of 75mph or so. I am getting consistently 21-22 MPG confirmed with Fuelly and in car average. It is low, but then again I drive fast. I am on small roads for only a small part of my trip. I imagine if I went down to 60-65mph I would have much better mileage.

Nice.

I just went back down to 13.9 on the last fill.  Strangely the computer still says 16.3 and 16.4 on my trips.  Trip 1 has never been reset and says 16.4, I got it at 200 miles.  I have only been on the highway once for a trip longer than say 10 miles.  I have tracked 1500 miles on Fuely and it says average 14.8 and the car just turned 3000 miles. 

I am honestly wondering if there is some sort of leak.  I mean the computer says 16.3 since I bought it so I am not sure how the manual calculation could be so far off.  I mean I assume that no one else's is actually off by anymore than a tenth or so.  I mean it is off by more than 2mpg.  The problem is I do not smell gas or see any leaks with a quick look around.  I am going to look more over the weekend and take the engine cover off and peak around.  What do you all think, is it possible that the computer is off that much?  I do pop up the instant and it is in the right range cruising along.  I mean the 7th to 8th gear issue where it does not shift most of the times could be some small drop since the RPM's drop 400 rpm at 65 when it shifts to 8th.  But that would show in the computer and instant.  I am just baffled.  I mean there was only the one 140 mile trip on the highway and that did not really move the computers number much, a few tenths up then back down to normal. 

• 2 weeks later...

C15F73AB-E827-41FC-A4FE-D4E62987AA25.thumb.jpeg.e02482b7b9f8ac2958856bc913c3b4fc.jpegFor my third fill up I decided to try 93 octane. The temps have been between 60F and 70F. This is the result after driving to and from work (34 total miles).  Driving to work this morning, an additional 17 miles, I’m at 28.2mpg. I’m amazed at what I am getting with warmer temps and 93. 

1 hour ago, JCrew7384 said:

Is the MPG savings worth the additional gas cost?

Going from 26mpg (87) to 28mpg (93) I calculated $0.098 per mile with 87 vs $0.112 per mile with 93. The power difference is not huge, but noticeable. 

On another note, I noticed that I started getting full boost at 850 miles on the odometer. Prior to that, it wouldn’t go above 5psi. 

9 hours ago, DB ST said:

The lifetime mpg of my Edge so far has been 24mpg when including the 50-something miles on it before I bought it and remote starting/warm up during cold weather. 

6DBBB729-381C-4DB9-B4AF-B0FA254BC4F7.jpeg

Nice.  Mine says 16.5 now on the clock for total mpg.  Calculated is not quite as optimistic.  About 1.5 mpg lower than the computer.  I took another highway trip last week and the computer said 18.8 for that tank,. I reset trip one when I filled.  The actual calculation, math, said I got 17.4 on that same tank.  About 150 miles of that tank were 75mph cruise set.  This thing sucks at even being close to what the ratings are. 

6 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

Nice.  Mine says 16.5 now on the clock for total mpg.  Calculated is not quite as optimistic.  About 1.5 mpg lower than the computer.  I took another highway trip last week and the computer said 18.8 for that tank,. I reset trip one when I filled.  The actual calculation, math, said I got 17.4 on that same tank.  About 150 miles of that tank were 75mph cruise set.  This thing sucks at even being close to what the ratings are. 

I am getting on average about 21.5MPG on my weekly trips which are 120 miles each way, 90% highway cruising between 60-75 MPH. 4,000 miles

23 hours ago, JCrew7384 said:

I am getting on average about 21.5MPG on my weekly trips which are 120 miles each way, 90% highway cruising between 60-75 MPH. 4,000 miles

Thanks for the update.  I have been getting 18.5 according to the computer on this tank so far.  Have not really changed my driving other than taking that last highway trip last tank.  Will see what the actual is when I fill up.  Also did the Trans TSB yesterday so maybe next tank will be better since it is shifting into 8th like it should at 65 now. 

13 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

Thanks for the update.  I have been getting 18.5 according to the computer on this tank so far.  Have not really changed my driving other than taking that last highway trip last tank.  Will see what the actual is when I fill up.  Also did the Trans TSB yesterday so maybe next tank will be better since it is shifting into 8th like it should at 65 now. 

What is the Trans TSB? I use Fuelly to track, not the onboard computer.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:34 PM, jamie1073 said:

EPA estimated highway mileage isn’t tested anywhere near 75mph. More like 55mph. Having a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick is not conducive to getting good gas mileage at high speeds. 

4 minutes ago, DB ST said:

EPA estimated highway mileage isn’t tested anywhere near 75mph. More like 55mph. Having a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick is not conducive to getting good gas mileage at high speeds. 

They did add one acceleration up to 70+ but the average is still near 55 mph.  As you approach 60, 70, 80 mph the HP required goes up exponentially.