Edge ST MPG

jamie1073

45 minutes ago, commbubba19 said:

75mph for 40 miles.  Calm winds.  Mild hills and mostly flat interstate.  Got 27mpg. 

Not sure why some of you are getting such bad mileage. 

Stop and go kills mpg... Especially when you accelerate on the faster side. Every time I get on the highway I watch my average mph climb in no time.

I'm curious to see what I'll get in my ST when making a 12 hour highway trip in late Sept

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed with Ford's the last few years is that they use DFSO (Deceleration Fuel Shut Off) but only if you take your foot completely off the accelerator.  Makes a huge difference when going down a slight incline or on level ground approaching a stop ahead.

I am getting slightly better mileage since I tuned it.  Which is funny because I floor it even more now. Lol!  But I imagine if I was doing my trips back and forth from PA to NY that I used to do when I lived in PA that I would be getting a higher average MPG.  But I do just drive to work and back now and to shopping.  I accelerate hard and yeah this engine seems to suck the gas down quick when doing that compared to how much the Focus ST did as compared to the City rating.  According to Fuely I still get around 17mpg, so lower than city rating.  My Focus got a bit better than City rating while driving the same route.  So that was my biggest complaint, I did not expect Focus mileage but kind of close to the rating compared to previous vehicles.  But I love the power and vehicle so oh well I will deal with it.  LOL

On 5/5/2019 at 6:38 PM, jamie1073 said:

Yeah I know I floor it a bit but the majority is cruising speed so it should outweigh the negative impact of getting to speed quickly. 

Nope.  It doesn't work that way.  The people who are not flooring it from every stop also spend the majority of their time cruising.  You are not outweighing anything.  Every hard acceleration drives your average MPG down, it's that simple.    Accelerating lightly and avoiding using the brakes are critical for getting good MPG.

Your poor mileage is 100% due to your driving style.  I've averaged 26 MPG (hand calculated) for the last month in a Taurus SHO.  I could easily average 15 MPG if I launched it from every stop and was always in the fast lane passing everything in sight.   With my Mustang, I've seen 23 MPG (all highway) and I've seen 11 MPG (all fun).  "You gotta pay to play", and "Your mileage may vary" are not just sayings.  

Our ST has been averaging over 20 MPG with about 1/3 highway and 2/3 city with my wife driving it.  She drives it like a normal person drives a normal vehicle.   I would probably be able to eek out another MPG or two compared to her after my years of practice at maximizing MPG while driving thirsty full size V8 trucks.    She stays on the gas way too long approaching red lights etc, but whatever- she doesn't wreck cars or curb the wheels and parks far enough out to avoid door dings, so I don't complain about a MPG or two.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 9:04 AM, IWRBB said:

Freedom units please.

As far as I know there are only three country in the world that haven't adopted as official the metric system yet: Burma, Liberia and the US.

Nothing personal intended and no parallels beyond the metric system drawn, of course ?

Also, I have no intention to start a measurements system discussion here, it is not the right forum. It is just a curious fact.  

14 hours ago, Tronjo said:

As far as I know there are only three country in the world that haven't adopted as official the metric system yet: Burma, Liberia and the US.

Nothing personal intended and no parallels beyond the metric system drawn, of course ?

Also, I have no intention to start a measurements system discussion here, it is not the right forum. It is just a curious fact.  

Yeah but the country that uses the most fuel is the only one that matters.  Lol!  USA USA USA!!!!  HAHAHAHAHA

We produce the most oil and gas now too. 

The one thing I really look back on as  a disappointment in my public schooling is the lack of acknowledgment of American exceptionalism.    USA is by far the most powerful country both financially and militarily in the history of the world- all in just over 200 years.   In addition, no country has ever amassed this level of power and used it in such a positive manner.  Not to say we've been perfect, but we've never tired to take over the world either.  Looking at you Germany.  Japan.  England.  Spain.  Romans.  Huns.   In fact quite the opposite.  Two of those were defeated in part or primarily by the USA.    My teachers never acknowledged that we are the ONLY country in the world where people have inalienable rights enshrined in the constitution.   They were more interested in pointing out that Sweden takes care of their citizens from cradle to grave.   30 years later- that's not working out so well for them.

Sorry for the political rant- the patriotic talk gets me going!

1 hour ago, IWRBB said:

We produce the most oil and gas now too. 

Sorry for the political rant- the patriotic talk gets me going!

With all due respect to your patriotic feelings, I still fail to understand how are they related to the measurement system in use. 

21 minutes ago, Tronjo said:

With all due respect to your patriotic feelings, I still fail to understand how are they related to the measurement system in use. 

Let it go bud. It's a forum about cars. Things always go for shit when the conversation gets political. We joined the rest of the world and went metric, we eat french fries. They eat freedom fries etc.

Edited by handfiler
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Let it go bud. It's a forum about cars. Things always go for shit when the conversation gets political. We joined the rest of the world and went metric, we eat french fries. They eat freedom fries etc.

Yes, you are correct! ?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, handfiler said:

I am happy to say that I enjoy my FRENCH FRIES! I will continue to call them french fries regardless of what some peeps decide to nick name them, or what's trending.  I have heard french fries addressed as freedom fries.  I always laugh when I hear that.  Seriously though I hope this conversation can get back on track because there is lots to be shared and learned from one another despite ones political views or objections.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 5:50 PM, onyxbfly said:

I am happy to say that I enjoy my FRENCH FRIES! I will continue to call them french fries regardless of what some peeps decide to nick name them, or what's trending.  I have heard french fries addressed as freedom fries.  I always laugh when I hear that.  Seriously though I hope this conversation can get back on track because there is lots to be shared and learned from one another despite ones political views or objections.

I traveled to Paris a few weeks ago for work and was worried I would slip up and call them french fries and offend someone... turns out they also often refer to them as french fries.  That is of course when they speak English..... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

I traveled to Paris a few weeks ago for work and was worried I would slip up and call them french fries and offend someone... turns out they also often refer to them as french fries.  That is of course when they speak English..... 

CTFU When in Rome do as the Romans do. I think they are called frites? I haven't been to Paris in about 20 years give or take.  The oddest things you remember from vacations.  Do they still serve them with mayo or mustard?  No one was offended when I called them french fries..  People usually smiled, or chuckled when I called them french fries.   

5 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

CTFU When in Rome do as the Romans do. I think they are called frites? I haven't been to Paris in about 20 years give or take.  The oddest things you remember from vacations.  Do they still serve them with mayo or mustard?  No one was offended when I called them french fries..  People usually smiled, or chuckled when I called them french fries.   

I didn't notice condiments but mayo took off everywhere. I grew up using mayo on my fries all through school. The biggest thing i noticed there was how multi cultural it is. America is considered the "melting pot" but Paris absolutely had us beat. I don't speak a work of French but ALMOST everyone I encountered spoke at least 2 languages and French was not the first. I met only a hand full of French born people and most were only 1st generation. Even cites like NYC with a massive immigrant population is not as heterogeneous. People tend to stick to their own culture more in the US. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Pommes frites to be exact.

• Like 1