ADAPTIVE LED HEADLAMPS - SSM 47810

ONEDGE16

I Know some of you already posted about the Adaptive LED Headlamps not working under the "New ST owner Thread", but thought I start this thread. There are also discussions on the same topic on the Ford EDGE ST Owners Facebook Page. This impacts Vehicles with Titanium 301A and ST 401A package. Mine was at the dealership yesterday to have them look at it as mine are not working. the Service Manager informed me that Ford has SSM 47810 open for the issue, that they are aware of it and that engineering is working on a solution. Didn't get the full transcript of the SSM. If any has access to the details of the SSM and can post it, it would be great.

1 minute ago, Rimcrim said:

It looks like it's disabled in software, because there is supposed to be a setting for it in the menu to the left of the speedometer, but it's not there.

From the Manual;

The system only works with the lighting control in the autolamp position.  You can switch this feature on or off in the information display.
Note:  There is a delay of two to five seconds before the system operates when you drive your vehicle.
Note:  The system is only active at speeds above 3 mph (5 km/h).

System Check
The system has a power-up movement check feature. When you start your vehicle, the lamps track left to right, then back to center to alert the driver that the system is working properly.

18 minutes ago, Rimcrim said:

From the Manual;

The system only works with the lighting control in the autolamp position.  You can switch this feature on or off in the information display.
Note:  There is a delay of two to five seconds before the system operates when you drive your vehicle.
Note:  The system is only active at speeds above 3 mph (5 km/h).

System Check
The system has a power-up movement check feature. When you start your vehicle, the lamps track left to right, then back to center to alert the driver that the system is working properly.

All of that was checked and verified as not working prior to taking it to the dealership. Owner's manual pages 82 and 105 also read. Tech also gone through diagnostics and confirmed adaptive part not working. 

24 minutes ago, Rimcrim said:

It looks like it's disabled in software, because there is supposed to be a setting for it in the menu to the left of the speedometer, but it's not there.

I added the setting in left IPC using Forscan, but did not resolve the issue. For Ford to have an SSM and have engineering work on it, I would suspect something more then just a missing IPC menu.

I am honestly curious as to A. how did they release the vehicles for production and sale without alerting anyone that the feature did not work at all.  And B. how can they get it to work on the Focus ST and RS vehicles with Bi-Xenons but not a vehicle that is 6 model years newer than the first Focus ST with them but not on the Edge in which the only difference, besides cost, is that they are LED lenses?  I mean you got it to work in a $29K car but not in an almost $50K car, since that option is only in the 401A package.  I mean come on it seems like the same exact system since they are using moving lenses. 

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

I am honestly curious as to A. how did they release the vehicles for production and sale without alerting anyone that the feature did not work at all.  And B. how can they get it to work on the Focus ST and RS vehicles with Bi-Xenons but not a vehicle that is 6 model years newer than the first Focus ST with them but not on the Edge in which the only difference, besides cost, is that they are LED lenses?  I mean you got it to work in a $29K car but not in an almost $50K car, since that option is only in the 401A package.  I mean come on it seems like the same exact system since they are using moving lenses. 

Not all vehicles are effected. It seems to be a bad batch.

Just now, Fingernip said:

Not all vehicles are effected. It seems to be a bad batch.

Oh I see.  I wonder how many people that are not on forums even know if they are working or not?  But still seems odd that they could get them working on the other cars and not this model and not figure out why.  I did not get the package to be honest since I am only leasing it and really did not want any of the stuff in it except for maybe the headlights and the ability to get the 21's as an option.  I had the lights on the Focus and they were nice but not really anything needed in an SUV, Lol.  I actually like the better spread of the full lights instead of the more narrow beam from the adaptive lights.  I do miss the turning lamps on the focus though. 

My dealer has confirmed on some across the country do move apparently but niether of us have seen it. One told us that they move only slightly and can tell if you have something cast a shadow on startup and if the vehicle was left inside for a bit, I haven't had a chance to try it just to say I did it, but others sound like they are pretty obvious. So I really have no clue and really think mine has it screwed up as I don't have the option on the left screen. So I'm currently waiting on this to be resolved plus a new headlight since my left daytime running light doesn't light up 75 percent of the time and there of course isn't one available in Canada with this being a new style. ?

18 hours ago, Perblue said:

My dealer has confirmed on some across the country do move apparently but niether of us have seen it. One told us that they move only slightly and can tell if you have something cast a shadow on startup and if the vehicle was left inside for a bit, I haven't had a chance to try it just to say I did it, but others sound like they are pretty obvious. So I really have no clue and really think mine has it screwed up as I don't have the option on the left screen. So I'm currently waiting on this to be resolved plus a new headlight since my left daytime running light doesn't light up 75 percent of the time and there of course isn't one available in Canada with this being a new style. ?

On my old Focus it was obvious, they moved from left to right and back to center, the full sweep they could do.  If parked against a wall at night it was obvious, if dark and you just start the car and the lights are in Auto mode and turn on.  Also when driving at night on an empty dark road and going over 3 MPH and steering the wheel left to right back and forth you can see the lights swivel.  Once again that was on my Focus ST with the adaptive lights.  The lights beam also seem more narrow than the standard lights, at least comparing the Focus adaptive ones to the Edge standard light pattern. 

46 minutes ago, Perblue said:

I thought it was supposed to be more obvious, even the guy that brought the demo out said they moved around alot. Sounded like it was supposed to be a better system than the hid one.

there are better systems, just not in North America due to current restrictions, USA is about a decade behind Europe in lighting Tech

8 hours ago, neotechpc said:

Wonder if this was a semi conscious decision where they decided to ship with this disabled on some vehicles rather than delay them. I'd guess that 90% of people will never notice or ask about it. 

This was my first thought.  Not disabled but rather using the non adaptive housings because of an inventory problem with the adaptive lights.   Or it could just be a software problem.  Either way now that they know about it (or have admitted they know about it) they will probably fix it.

11 hours ago, neotechpc said:

Can confirm mine don't move at all, either on start up or while driving. Feb 2019 build date. 

Wonder if this was a semi conscious decision where they decided to ship with this disabled on some vehicles rather than delay them. I'd guess that 90% of people will never notice or ask about it. 

Mine is late Nov 2018 build.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was built in November '18 - Option Group 301A (Titanium AWD).  I noticed that my headlamps weren't self-testing so I mentioned it to my dealership who looked into the matter and told me that engineering is aware of the (non-safety) issue.  For what it's worth, my vehicle was built on November 18, 2018, but received it's first (and only) Sync update ten days later on November 28, 2018.  (I purchased it on January 2, 2019).  Did it sit at the Oakville plant for a while?  I thought that Sync is installed on the assembly line?  Is the Sync software integrated with our vehicle menu options?  The adaptive headlamp menu is missing from my vehicle's system as well.  All is good if they can release a fix soon, but it sure would have been nice if Ford had let us know before we discovered it on our own.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 12:27 PM, neotechpc said:

Anyone heard any updates on this? I've since further confirmed no movement (even slight) on start up when parked in front of something that will cast a shadow. 

Still no updates from  Ford except engineering is working on it.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/FORD/EDGE/SUV/AWD#manufacturerCommunications

NHTSA ID Number: 10155569

Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 47810

Summary

Some 2019 Edge Equipped With Adaptive Headlamps (High Series lamp - Titanium (301A) and ST (401A)) may be reported that the front headlamp lights are not bending while the vehicle is moving through a curve at speeds above 5 kph (3 mph), or that the system check outlined in the owner guide for this feature indicates the feature is not working correctly. Engineering is aware of this issue and is working on a repair solution. The headlamps will continue to function to fully meet all applicable lighting requirements. Do not attempt any diagnosis or repairs for this issue. Continue to monitor OASIS for updates.

Edited by ONEDGE16
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info!

Although the SSM is dated February 2019, they've known about this for at least five months now (since November 18, 2018, when the Adaptive Lighting menu wasn't included or was removed from my vehicle's software).

My dealership let me view a print out of the report (large paragraph), and I'm fairly certain I read the SSM also includes "Auto-Leveling," which prevents glare into the windshields of oncoming motorists under certain uneven road conditions.

My dealership also told me that if they had to install the Adaptive Headlamp feature on a vehicle not equipped, it would cost about CDN $6000!  So this feature was a large part of what we paid for upgrading to the 301A/401A equipment group.

It will be nice when engineering has time to finally deal with this issue.