ADAPTIVE LED HEADLAMPS - SSM 47810

ONEDGE16

1 hour ago, tk2fast said:

I agree benk016. One would think Ford would have tested this tech a little more before full production. Mine was mfg in November. 

It is strange since my 2016 Focus ST had adaptive Bi-Xenons and they seem to be using the same implementation of lenses that rotate left/right with the steering.  These are not multi LED units like the Europeans use.  Not sure why they can not get it to work. 

As for auto-leveling, I am not sure they use that as if they did it would be on all HID headlights, I had a 2003 Merc that had Bi-Xenons and it had auto leveling and headlamp washers as it used to be required to import them.  Not sure why it is not now.  But it does seem the Ford HID's are aimed lower than those I had in 2003. 

• Thanks 1

I had adaptive Bi-Xenon in the 2011 MKX and it worked flawlessly. I think Ford's issue with the 2019 Edge stems from the Edge being also offered for Europe with the adaptive lights since 2015 or 2016, so it might be a marketing mistake and/or build issues where Edges built for North America have hardware differences compared to those for European market.

After taking it into the shop to test my complaint, my dealership confirmed to me that it is equipped with a "Level 5" (Adaptive LED) headlamp system.  At first, they thought it was a lower level system which is why they quoted me CDN $6000 had they not been installed already.  I didn't think to ask exactly what that level entails, but I got the impression that it was the top tier, at least for the 2019 Edge, as far as advanced headlamp systems go.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, omar302 said:

I had adaptive Bi-Xenon in the 2011 MKX and it worked flawlessly. I think Ford's issue with the 2019 Edge stems from the Edge being also offered for Europe with the adaptive lights since 2015 or 2016, so it might be a marketing mistake and/or build issues where Edges built for North America have hardware differences compared to those for European market.

The Euro's probably require the autolevelers as well as washers.  The leveling system should use sensors on the front and rear sway bars if it is anything like the Benz system was 16 years ago.  So maybe dropping any of those parts caused them to not be able to work correctly but like I said I had the system on my Focus so I do not see how they could not get it to work.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:12 AM, tk2fast said:

I have had some oncoming traffic flash their lights at me. Not sure if it's just the new LED's which I love or the Auto-Leveling not doing the job.

NA LED cars from factory are aimed slightly higher, this is due to current LED tech not having the depth of HID yet, to compensate, they have to aim them a tad higher. 

1 hour ago, Nick Halstead said:

NA LED cars from factory are aimed slightly higher, this is due to current LED tech not having the depth of HID yet, to compensate, they have to aim them a tad higher. 

Light doesn't have a trajectory so aiming them higher wont get them to shine further down the road.

2 hours ago, handfiler said:

Light doesn't have a trajectory so aiming them higher wont get them to shine further down the road.

the optics designed around the LED Diode give it it's trajectory. LEDs cannot mimic a HID Hot Spot and as I said, to compensate, they are aimed higher. Ask anyone involved in lighting and they will tell you, 99% of all NA OEM LED factory lights, are aimed to high.

21 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

the optics designed around the LED Diode give it it's trajectory. LEDs cannot mimic a HID Hot Spot and as I said, to compensate, they are aimed higher. Ask anyone involved in lighting and they will tell you, 99% of all NA OEM LED factory lights, are aimed to high.

We can agree to disagree. I'm just not aware of any car manufacturers that have developed a gravitational lens for their lighting system.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:48 AM, omar302 said:

The system is definitely there. It's just not functioning. I have video of my headlights moving during a module test. So they do move, Just aren't getting any signal from the car to move. 

14 hours ago, handfiler said:

We can agree to disagree. I'm just not aware of any car manufacturers that have developed a gravitational lens for their lighting system.

LED is a directional light source. Halogen and HID are omnidirectional. 

you do know your headlights have an adjustment knob to rotate the projector to aim the beam right.

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, neotechpc said:

FWIW, I consider the LEDs on my ST to be rather superior to the HIDs on my 2015 Sport. They aren't necessarily BMW 'laser light' good, but they are a solid improvement.

Now if we could get the adaptive bending working, even better..

NA LED is severely lacking. The real LED power is across the pond.

4 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

LED is a directional light source. Halogen and HID are omnidirectional. 

you do know your headlights have an adjustment knob to rotate the projector to aim the beam right.

Yours may have a knob. Mine has adjustment screws for adjusting the vertical and horizontal fields.

16 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

you only have horizontal if you took a dremel to your headlight, Ford encloses all it's horizontal adjustments.

Actually it's the vertical field that's adjustable. vertical = up/down. Horizontal field= left/right. You're right about Fords only having the one adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Dingle said:

As of today (May 22nd), there is now a field service action for the adaptive headlights numbered 19B11. The letter to owner's I had seen stated a June timeframe for availability

I got a similar message today on my FordPass  app stating the 19B11 field service action. It also says a FSA Title of "HEADLIGHT CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM"

I have an appointment for Wednesday to have the 19B11 done.  I will post if I see any changes.  From what I understand it covers Edge built from start of production to March of this year.

Note:  Seeing another member stating the correction would not be available until June.  When I talked to the service advisor, he stated it looked like the time to do the update was 0.3 of an hour and was just a software update.  I will need to check back with the advisor to see if he may have missed something on a parts install and than the software update. 

Edited by Sage

I took my ST in yesterday for Headlight Control Module Reprograming  19B11  Mine was built 11/18 and the adaptive headlights have never worked till now.  The headlights now move when the vehicle is started, I noticed they did not move together like they do on my wife's Lincoln, but they do move.  No road test yet.