Flat tire with 1900 miles on my ST

JCrew7384

Hi. Not sure where to post this. I have a brand new 2019 Ford Edge ST with 1900 miles on it. I am 120 miles from home at a hotel for work. I hit a pot hole this evening when it was dark in the parking lot of the hotel. The front right tire immediately went flat. I had roadside assistance come and out the spare on. Upon brief look, there did not appear to be any nails or holes in the tires. They still look brand new. 

Few questions or advice requested 

1) do new fords or new tires come with any sort of warranty or repair service?

2) am I better off taking the car to a local ford dealer or a tire shop to test the tire?

3) I assume given the mileage I can just repair a single tire

4) do I have any sort of hope other than paying for a new tire?

5) I believe they are 265/40R21

Fords warranty would not cover it, this is whats stated in the warranty booklet:

Tire Wear or Damage

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover normal wear or worn out tires. Tires will not be replaced (unless required by a warranty repair) for wear or damage including:

• tire damage from road hazard such as cuts, snags, bruises, bulges, puncture, and impact breaks

• tire damage due to under or over inflation, tire chain use, racing, spinning (as when stuck in snow or mud), improper mounting or dismounting, or tire repair

But you can check the tire manufacturer's warranty if they have something, I know at least Vredestein does include the a Road Hazard Replacement Program during the first year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

1900 miles?  on an ST?  Ford and/or the dealership should take care of you, warranty language aside.  Not the first time they have had issues with tire beads on a SporT.

If it's just remounting the tire I agree, but not if he damaged the wheel.

5 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

SporT.

I see what you did there.......  ;)

• Like 1

Verdict is sidewall has a big gash in it. No rim damage... So I'm in need of a new tire only, which is not terrible.

Ford dealer in DE told me that to get a matching CONTINENTAL CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT 265/40R21 tire would be 4-6 weeks. I looked on Tire Rack and am getting one delivered to a shop tomorrow and will get it mounted for $25... also ebates has 4.5% back :)

Noticed that Tire Rack says that the new tire comes with road hazard coverage... Too bad new cars don't come with that same thing.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, JCrew7384 said:

Verdict is sidewall has a big gash in it. No rim damage... So I'm in need of a new tire only, which is not terrible.

Ford dealer in DE told me that to get a matching CONTINENTAL CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT 265/40R21 tire would be 4-6 weeks. I looked on Tire Rack and am getting one delivered to a shop tomorrow and will get it mounted for $25... also ebates has 4.5% back :)

Noticed that Tire Rack says that the new tire comes with road hazard coverage... Too bad new cars don't come with that same thing.

Ford sells about 2 million vehicles per year.  At even $10/tire that would cost them $80M.   I'm sure that's also the reason factory tires don't usually come with treadwear warranties - saves the mfr big bucks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gthims said:

You are lucky you had a spare tire.  My St did not come with one, it only has a tire pump with some fix a flat stuff in it.  A big gash as you said you had would put mine on a flatbed truck until another wheel was acquired.

Summer only tires? Mine came with a spare but I didn't get the upgraded wheels so I'm wondering if that's the difference.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 6:11 PM, Fingernip said:

Anyone with the brake package gets summer only tires and no spare. 

Just bought a 2019 Edge ST with 401A and Big Brake Package last night and much to my surprise no spare tire

i originally wanted just the 21” wheels but Edge ST’s around here aren’t very common yet. The dealer made me a great deal even though I am not a fan of the summer tires, so we bought it.

Is it true that the Edge ST with the 21” wheels (non Brake Package) have the donut spare? If so, I would like to get the part number of the donut spare so I can order one. We spend a lot of time on road trips and very frequently tire stores aren’t on every corner in the middle of no where. I can see a tire failure could quickly end a vacation.

29 minutes ago, Sandemonium said:

Is it true that the Edge ST with the 21” wheels (non Brake Package) have the donut spare? If so, I would like to get the part number of the donut spare so I can order one. We spend a lot of time on road trips and very frequently tire stores aren’t on every corner in the middle of no where. I can see a tire failure could quickly end a vacation.

Yes it is true but I have no idea what the part numbers are sorry.

36 minutes ago, Sandemonium said:

I suspect it has more to do with the larger rotors / calipers than summer tires.  Maybe they (ford) don’t make a Wheel / donut that fits over the rotor/caliper that can fit in the spare tire space.

Can you take a pic of your front tire? Alot have been saying the caliper is the same just painted and have read that canadian cars come with the larger front rotors.

11 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Can you take a pic of your front tire? Alot have been saying the caliper is the same just painted and have read that canadian cars come with the larger front rotors.

Here are a couple of pictures. I see no reason a stock donut wouldn’t work.

47B03EC7-85B2-4CF5-AADD-B8C41B86998D.jpeg

A3F3D548-515F-44B2-A03A-A1886A58BDB1.jpeg

• Like 1

If the rumors are true that the ST performance brake package utilizes the same caliper and rotors as the previous Sport. Then the spare tire should fit. (emphasis on should

The spare tire part number is KT4Z-1015-A. 

Here is a link to where you can purchase the spare.

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-wheel-spare-kt4z1015a/?c=Zz1mcm9udC1zdXNwZW5zaW9uJnM9d2hlZWxzJmk9TVMxNTMzNjUmcj00JmE9Zm9yZCZvPWVkZ2UmeT0yMDE5JnQ9c3QmZT0yLTdsLXY2LWdhcw%3D%3D

I would suggest calling and double checking before ordering.

HTH 

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...