Flat tire with 1900 miles on my ST

JCrew7384

Thanks, this is still scary to me to use a temp spare, as this is the warning in the manual, though I guess if you read it that they provided the spare in the size listed above, you are fine? Here is what it says - Do not use a spare tire of a different size other than the tire provided. If the mini-spare tire is installed, the AWD system may disable automatically and enter front-wheel drive only mode to protect driveline components. A warning in the information display appears, indicating that the system is in front-wheel drive only mode.See  Information Messages.  If there is a warning message in the information display from using the spare tire, this indicator should turn off after reinstalling the repaired or replaced normal road tire and cycling the ignition off and on. We recommend that you reinstall the repaired or replaced road tire as soon as possible. Major dissimilar tire sizes between the front and rear axles could cause the AWD system to stop functioning and default to front-wheel drive or damage the AWD system.

2 hours ago, ONEDGE16 said:

My ST came with the spare. Size T155/70R18 as well. It has has 401A and 21" rims.

20190210_115252.jpg

Did yours come with the air compressor and tire repair goo also? Wondering why some came with this spare and some without. Do you have the summer performance tires or the all weather tires? Mine has the Pirelli PZeros.

33 minutes ago, EdgeST said:

Did yours come with the air compressor and tire repair goo also? Wondering why some came with this spare and some without. Do you have the summer performance tires or the all weather tires? Mine has the Pirelli PZeros.

If you got the brake pack, which comes with the pzeros, then you got goo. if you got just the 20" or 21" rims you got the spare.

I was wondering if being in Canada had anything to do with it. Still bothers me to drive any distance with the spare being a smaller size. If I get somewhere and have a flat that can't be repaired, will be hard to find a 21" PZero to replace it with. Going to the driving school in Utah and will be on an definite arrival time, so sitting somewhere waiting on a tire won't work! I do have an email into the Ford Performance group that are going to address the issue. This site has been very helpful, thanks members.

1 hour ago, EdgeST said:

I was wondering if being in Canada had anything to do with it. Still bothers me to drive any distance with the spare being a smaller size. If I get somewhere and have a flat that can't be repaired, will be hard to find a 21" PZero to replace it with. Going to the driving school in Utah and will be on an definite arrival time, so sitting somewhere waiting on a tire won't work! I do have an email into the Ford Performance group that are going to address the issue. This site has been very helpful, thanks members.

Heh it kind of does since you can't get the brake pack in Canada so no goo in Canadian STs. Pzeros are coming on so many cars now a days that I would think most cities would have one somewhere, granted you may have to go to a car dealership worst case to get one. 

Since it disables the awd and is the Ford provided spare I don't think you have much to worry about. 

2 hours ago, EdgeST said:

Edited by jamie1073

Ok, just to let all know, I checked a 16 Edge Sport w/21" wheels and measured my 21" wheel and tire and one on the Sport. Both are approximately 29" tall. The Sport had an 18" spare with the temp tire size stated above, T155/70R18. I measured and found its 26 1/2" tall. Like has been said above, if Ford is putting it in as a spare, it must be fine to use. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, EdgeST said:

Ok, just to let all know, I checked a 16 Edge Sport w/21" wheels and measured my 21" wheel and tire and one on the Sport. Both are approximately 29" tall. The Sport had an 18" spare with the temp tire size stated above, T155/70R18. I measured and found its 26 1/2" tall. Like has been said above, if Ford is putting it in as a spare, it must be fine to use. Thanks again.

They are fine to use temporarily and I believe under 55mph.  The system should auto disable the AWD when it sees the wheel speed difference on the one wheel.  Normal people just usually drive to shop and get the tire fixed or replaced, since on most Edge's they have normal no performance oriented tires that most shops would carry or be able to get quickly.  The rest of the people would just drive on the spare and not give a crap. 

10 hours ago, EdgeST said:

Let us know if you get any where with Ford Performance.

Replacing the spare tire with a slime kit and air compressor was a bad move in my opinion.

The thought of being in the middle of no where with a blown tire and no spare can make for a bad trip.

I feel I got the answer thru here and then seeing the temporary spare in the Edge Sport. The Edge ST has a more developed AWD system that is made to disconnect from AWD to FWD that the Sport did not have. So moving forward at a slow pace, hoping to hear from Ford Performance within this week. For some reason putting a Summer Performance tire on changes the way Ford deals with it. Hoping to find out why from them.

Edited by EdgeST
to add a sentence or two

Just now, akirby said:

It’s not the size of the wheel it’s the size of the tire.  You can have the same size (circumference/diameter) tire with a 18, 19, 20, 21 or 22 inch wheel.

Well its not the same size, 29" diameter vs. 26.5 for the donut, but apparently is close enough and passes Ford standards to work.

Just because it will fit doesn't mean it is safe.  Summer tires have a lot more grip than the all-seasons, so when you put on a donut spare you change the handling behavior of the vehicle to a point where it can become dangerous.  That's why you don't get a spare with the summer tire package.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered a wheel from my dealer, will have it in about a week. Next hurdle was getting the actual tire. Seems only place to get one is online from Maxxis direct. I am waiting for a couple of places to get back with me to see if they can find one, but will probably buy online. Not a cheap way to go, but had no luck at all with anywhere on the internet or with local junkyards. Just an update, looking forward to having one in the back and putting this all behind me, so to speak! Thanks for all the input and for this forum.