So Is All The Youtube Videos True

vmaxbaby

Guys,

So every night I go out to youtube to watch some of my friends channels along with doing a search for Ford Edge ST just to see if anything new and exciting is out there.   What I see 97% of the time from Edge ST video's is negative about all types of things.  Most the rants are that they took the ST badge and put it on a SUV that isn't as much fun as a ST Focus and Fiesta.  I understand their logic that the ST, SVT, Cobra, etc. are all badges of performance vehicles and although the ST edge could have been more of a rocket with the right engine and trans setup and that it is mainly a Edge Sport with some changes...I am okay with that... and  I understand this car is not designed to out run a mustang or the like it is to get a family from A to B in comfort and be sporty at the same time which it seems it does very well.   But something I hate hearing and it is causing me to question myself about getting this vehicle is the transmission.   What I see over and over again is how it is slow to shift,  how the 2 extra gears don't really do anything great for the vehicle, paddle shifters are slow to respond etc.  One or 2 videos saying it and I wouldn't be concerned but I know I have watched at least 15 reviews and they all say the same thing so guessing they all can't be wrong.  All the other stuff about price, and hard plastic dash, dated interior I can live with all that because I don't agree with everything they say because all of that is in the eye's of the beholder.  BUT the trans issue brothers me.  I see some guys on here have posted up somethings about a clunk or searching for a gear but is it as bad of a transmission as what they say?  And could all these issues go away with just a software update or is there something failed in the design of the transmission?  I figure if anyone had input on this would be guys that own the car right now instead of the youtubers that get a car for their 20 minute car review or to boost their channel. 

For me, all the things you have pointed out on the trans I have/do experience.  It really bothers me how slow the trans shifts.  I did not expect it to shift like a double clutch setup, but this is a ST.  Now, with that being said, I hope Ford comes out with a fix for the noted items you covered.  It is a new design done in house by Ford, but they should have done better.  This does not mean I am not satisfied with my ST, but I am patiently waiting for Ford to get it together.  

Also, I have installed a tune from Livernois with one of the things that company did was to improve the shifts.  They are doing small changes to the trans at a time as it is a new design.  It does show improvement and there should be updates from Ford and Livernois in the future.  

I like Fords, always have and all of the the above is just my opinion, others my have a different view.  

14 minutes ago, cds71 said:

what im curious about is how the gen 2 sport....with the most aggressive 93  lms tune stacks up against the ST with the best 93 lms tune.

I would say the LMS tuned ST will look like it's towing a boat next to a tuned Sport. 

Edited by 037
  • Haha 2

I constantly check YouTube also. I have seen about 50/50 positive and negative reviews. Most negative reviews are garbage. I had to comment on one where they guy test drove a preproduction car inside a building without using sport mode or going over 10mph and concluded it didn’t handle well and had no power. Most legitimate negative reviews have to focus on the transmission as it truely is problematic. Handling is fantastic and it is hard to argue against that fact if you actually drive one. 

Edited by Fingernip

Compared to the old 6-speed in my 17 Sport the new 8-speed is an improvement in every day driving. What I noticed most, for the first week or two, was off the line acceleration is smoother and quicker. Now I'm used to it.

In S mode the transmission is aggressive and hold gears when needed. The shifts aren't super quick but they're fine for me. I tried out the paddle shifter once and haven't used them since. I just keep it in automatic and put it in S mode when I want to have a little fun.

Edited by Gregertech
  • Thanks 1

I have had the can't seem to either find the gear or what gear it wants deal several times.  Just like it goes to shift and then just pauses and then finds the gear, it is like a 1-2 second delay which does not sound like a lot but it is, especially since I got rid of a Focus ST for this and if I had a delay in shifting that it was because I caused it, lol.  Also sometimes it does not downshift far enough when say going to turn onto another road, it is a supposed to be sporty not stay in gear and not downshift when floored, I know it can drop a gear more since if I paddle shift down it hits the right one.  In Sport mode it does it but in regular it seems to be to lazy to shift.  I do not like Sport mode all the time because when you let off the gas after say accelerating from a stop to about 75 it just hangs there at high RPM's and does not shift until you push the gas down again to let it know you are cruising at that speed.  I like the throttle response of Sport mode but it just sucks to be a daily driving position.  It is like you are supposed to hit the button to have fun then click it off when you get to cruising speed.  The transmission also picks when it wants 8th gear on its own and will not let you pick it at say 65mph cruising speed.  Sometimes it shifts to 8th and others it sits in 7th, same road every time.  Hopefully this is just a software update to fix some of these or change them.  For a supposed sport tuned transmission it sucks, I mean I assume they tweaked the software for the ST. 

I saw that same video from the guy that drove it 10 feet... that guy is on the crack pipe...how do  you test a car in 10 feet in a warehouse.   He is PO because he has a ST focus and they stop making them.  I gave his video a thumbs down and moved on :)

• Haha 1

I drove a ST, then let the GM take my Sport for a Test drive. GM walked away wanting a tuned and lowered sport over a ST. I think the main negative reviews are because most of those that reviewed the 15 Sport and gave it good reviews, were looking for a huge performance gain over the Sport, when really it was just about taking Sport off the back and adding ST.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

I drove a ST, then let the GM take my Sport for a Test drive. GM walked away wanting a tuned and lowered sport over a ST. I think the main negative reviews are because most of those that reviewed the 15 Sport and gave it good reviews, were looking for a huge performance gain over the Sport, when really it was just about taking Sport off the back and adding ST.

Your suspension work is what would really enhance the sport. I drove a 2018 and it handled better than my 2011 but definitely the ST felt improved over the sport. Power felt somewhat similar but in sport mode the ST was waaay more responsive and fun. I'm sure the dealership used 87 octane in both cars though. For the price difference to me the ST is the better starting platform. I'm sure we will eventually see comparable tunes for the ST to bring it to parity or better in power. I personally would never lower any of my cars and love the way the ST handles/rides. The sport would require some expensive mods to match it. 

23 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Your suspension work is what would really enhance the sport. I drove a 2018 and it handled better than my 2011 but definitely the ST felt improved over the sport. Power felt somewhat similar but in sport mode the ST was waaay more responsive and fun. I'm sure the dealership used 87 octane in both cars though. For the price difference to me the ST is the better starting platform. I'm sure we will eventually see comparable tunes for the ST to bring it to parity or better in power. I personally would never lower any of my cars and love the way the ST handles/rides. The sport would require some expensive mods to match it. 

I'd say the biggest difference was more so having almost 100 more hp/tq at the wheels than the ST and being able to light up the front wheels from a dig is a huge attention grabber. IMO, no performance vehicle should have a 4x4 wheel gap. They could have atleast gave us settings to select from the inside like, Sport/dynamic/cruise or something but then they'd be investing too much into the platform and cutting their own profit. I dunno, a lowered edge doesn't even look lowered imo. I'm not getting rid of my sport anytime soon, but I've accepted it's fate that nobody is going to mass produce parts for the platform. I want parts that show 1/4 mile results and in 4 years the only part to do that is a tune. smdh

7 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

I'd say the biggest difference was more so having almost 100 more hp/tq at the wheels than the ST and being able to light up the front wheels from a dig is a huge attention grabber. IMO, no performance vehicle should have a 4x4 wheel gap. They could have atleast gave us settings to select from the inside like, Sport/dynamic/cruise or something but then they'd be investing too much into the platform and cutting their own profit. I dunno, a lowered edge doesn't even look lowered imo. I'm not getting rid of my sport anytime soon, but I've accepted it's fate that nobody is going to mass produce parts for the platform. I want parts that show 1/4 mile results and in 4 years the only part to do that is a tune. smdh

More power is always nice. I doubt ill ever buy a tuner but i like to know I could if i wanted to. Maybe I would look into it if I paid off the car kept it and actually bought another DD. Even then I have other toys that will always be faster/more fun to drive. I personally take pride in the fact that it wont lite up the tires. The power distribution system is awesome in the ST. It will chirp before sending power to the rear, chirp again, pull power and distribute for max grip. It is pretty aggressive in the self preservation aspect but the fact ill likely own this car for a while that is a good thing.  We have a hairpin turn in my town on a route that i frequent. I used to envy the little Subarus that would be all up on my rear end as i wallowed and decelerated around the bend. Now it stays flat and i actually accelerate thru the turn. The torque vectoring feels odd but keeps it completely under control even with sand on the roads. I get in trouble when i get home and the bread is flat and all the cans have dents in them though. To me a lowered edge doesn't look bad... but looks like a big car, almost station wagonish. I like the CUV look and the ride height is pretty important where i live. 

The thing is with most reviewers I find they are becoming jaded because of what higher priced suvs offer. Yes you can find a nicer interior in similarly priced models, I do however quite like the interior of my st, but you won't find anything new with the same performance and safety features within 10 grand of the st.

With the starting price of an edge it was never going to be a 35k st model. Up here the fiesta st starting msrp is 26k, 10k above a base, focus st is 30k, 15k double the price of a base, and the focus rs is a shocking 59k. So all the reviewers complaining about the price of the edge st and wanting an rs likely aren't going to be happy with it either.

Ford screwed up also by sending demos out with less than 2k miles on them, or should have killed the break in period on them, since there is quite a difference after that. Comparing a tuned sport to a handicapped st isn't a great comparison but it is what it is. Maybe I'm biased because I own one but I very rarely find myself agreeing with the youtube reviewers. The transmission isn't perfect, i can agree on that, but does it make me wish i bought a slower competing model or spent alot more on an import? Not at all. It really is great and fun to drive.

That's just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

The thing is with most reviewers I find they are becoming jaded because of what higher priced suvs offer. Yes you can find a nicer interior in similarly priced models, I do however quite like the interior of my st, but you won't find anything new with the same performance and safety features within 10 grand of the st.

With the starting price of an edge it was never going to be a 35k st model. Up here the fiesta st starting msrp is 26k, 10k above a base, focus st is 30k, 15k double the price of a base, and the focus rs is a shocking 59k. So all the reviewers complaining about the price of the edge st and wanting an rs likely aren't going to be happy with it either.

Ford screwed up also by sending demos out with less than 2k miles on them, or should have killed the break in period on them, since there is quite a difference after that. Comparing a tuned sport to a handicapped st isn't a great comparison but it is what it is. Maybe I'm biased because I own one but I very rarely find myself agreeing with the youtube reviewers. The transmission isn't perfect, i can agree on that, but does it make me wish i bought a slower competing model or spent alot more on an import? Not at all. It really is great and fun to drive.

That's just my 2 cents.

I agree, although i haven't found any of the compared vehicles that are claimed to have "better" interiors to actually appear better. Mazda is one i often see it compared to but IMO i wouldn't have bought my ST if it had the Mazda interior. protruding afterthought looking display and oddly retro gage cluster. the cup holders are placed so far back you almost have to use your left hand across your body to reach them. Maybe its my size/proportions and my minimalist preference but the Edge interior since gen 1.5 has been my absolute favorite in the sub 50K range.  

Reviewers are like news reporters - bad news sells so I think they go out of their way to find nitpicks sometimes.   The other issue (especially with traditional car magazines) is they like to compare based on price without mentioning that a similarly priced BMW will be much smaller and have less features and less performance.   Edge ST is truly a tweener with luxury car performance in a mainstream wrapper and priced in between.   So it's easy to say it's too expensive until you point out that to get the same size and performance in another brand you have to spend $20K or more.

3 hours ago, Perblue said:

but you won't find anything new with the same performance and safety features within 10 grand of the st.

Not exactly true. A base Audi Q5 starts at $42k. Runs the same exact 5.9 0-60 and recorded a .2 second faster 1/4 mile time than the STs faster reviewer. Dual Clutch Transmission for the win here. Now I personally hate the looks of all Audi SUVs except the SQ5 and the Q8, but if I could have the Q5 interior and my Edge exterior, I'd be sold completely.

4 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

Not exactly true. A base Audi Q5 starts at $42k. Runs the same exact 5.9 0-60 and recorded a .2 second faster 1/4 mile time than the STs faster reviewer. Dual Clutch Transmission for the win here. Now I personally hate the looks of all Audi SUVs except the SQ5 and the Q8, but if I could have the Q5 interior and my Edge exterior, I'd be sold completely.

It's $53K with the same level of equipment.   Hard to believe they can get 5.9 0-60 with a 248 hp 2.0T even with a DCT but that's what it says so I'll take their word for it.  Impressive.

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's $53K with the same level of equipment.   Hard to believe they can get 5.9 0-60 with a 248 hp 2.0T even with a DCT but that's what it says so I'll take their word for it.  Impressive.

Exactly. The base is missing features an ST has. Also every single test 0-60 of an ST has been done in break in mode. It's faster than reviews are getting once lifted, but it's what it is and those will be the quoted numbers.

These are a few things that threw a bit of a wet blanket on the ST's debut.

Some of the negativity comes from the sticker price. The Edge is now over $50K, the artificial barrier that many people have in their heads, and when they hear that a Ford Edge can cost OVER $50 GRAND! they go bananas imagine pitchforks and torches. What is rarely mentioned is that nobody pays MSRP. With dealer incentives and rebates your looking at 5K -7K less than MSRP, maybe more. Funny how the old Edge Sport could sticker at nearly $49K and reviewers wouldn't make a fuss about it. It's all about perception. Yes, the ST does cost more than the Sport did but it also offers quite a bit more IMO.

0-60 performance - when MT and C&D couldn't record a 0-60 time faster than the outgoing Sport, it was bad publicity. The ST should have been faster. Instead of .1 sec faster it was .1 sec slower. Enough to question the "ST" badge. Blame in on turbos, break-in, transmission mapping whatever, Ford dropped the ball on this. Maybe the Sport was just that good. Forget that the ST handles better, brakes better, and is better in just about every other aspect .

The piped in exhaust sound. Practically every review harped on it, made fun of it. snickered. Enough though that Ford removed it.

The paddle shifters are a joke. Period.

Edited by Gregertech
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 037 said:

Comparing ST to a Q5 is silly, Audi is a much smaller vehicle, the end. 

I would consider the Q3 much smaller. 4in shorter in length isn't that much, the 4in in headroom is lower, but ironically, doesn't feel like less headroom while driving it.

Edited by Nick Halstead

1 hour ago, Nick Halstead said:

I would consider the Q3 much smaller. 4in shorter in length isn't that much, the 4in in headroom is lower, but ironically, doesn't feel like less headroom while driving it.

Its the rear seat and the trunk where the difference is major. Pretty much everyone has figured out the front seat. 

3 hours ago, Fingernip said:

But in the S3 it is tuned for more power... also the S3 weighs 1000lbs less than the Q5

yes, I was simply referring to the capabilities of the 2.0 in general as it's same motor, diff tune and the DCT capabilities as it's way down on power compared to Focus RS and literally destroys it.

Edited by Nick Halstead